REGISTERING FOR MEMBERSHIP ON UPLAND JOURNAL Read more... ×
Virgil Kane

Reseeding my lawn, grass seed

CheckCord

When I lived downtown I had a very small backyard and I had sports turf installed.  People thought I was nuts but it was the the cleanest and most maintenance free product available.  

my current yard is too big.  That small backyard was $5k to cover.  

CFF09521-8607-4D2A-BBDE-A70735561519.jpeg

kgb

Grass you don't have to mow.  I would like that.

Swampy 16

Virgil, I have not read any replies to this thread but I do this for a living. Talk to a landscape supply in your area in regards to the seed variety recommended for your region. Here we used rye grass for quick germination. The most important thing to remember is “seed to soil contact”. You need to prep the soil, not just add soil. I suggest lightly tilling the surface, spreading your seed, then rake it in. I actually drag a 10’ length of chain link fence over it with a mower or dingo. Once you’ve done that you absolutely need to go over it with a sod roller. Normally you can rent one at Home Depot, that’s hugely important. Then apply a starter fertilizer like 10-10-10 and water it all in. Keep the area moist, don’t water to point of runoff but don’t let it dry up. I don’t like hay because it’s messy and creates bad spots. There’s a material known as Penn mulch if you can’t stay on the watering. I’ve done this for years and can promise you that if you follow this you’ll be mowing it in about three weeks, maybe sooner.

Crazy Horse
24 minutes ago, Swampy 16 said:

Virgil, I have not read any replies to this thread but I do this for a living. Talk to a landscape supply in your area in regards to the seed variety recommended for your region. Here we used rye grass for quick germination. The most important thing to remember is “seed to soil contact”. You need to prep the soil, not just add soil. I suggest lightly tilling the surface, spreading your seed, then rake it in. I actually drag a 10’ length of chain link fence over it with a mower or dingo. Once you’ve done that you absolutely need to go over it with a sod roller. Normally you can rent one at Home Depot, that’s hugely important. Then apply a starter fertilizer like 10-10-10 and water it all in. Keep the area moist, don’t water to point of runoff but don’t let it dry up. I don’t like hay because it’s messy and creates bad spots. There’s a material known as Penn mulch if you can’t stay on the watering. I’ve done this for years and can promise you that if you follow this you’ll be mowing it in about three weeks, maybe sooner.

Dan, what seed variety would you recommend for you're area or S.E. PA???

Steve Hunts

I'm contemplating the same thing here in SW MT. Called the local nursery and we talked about over seeding options vis-a-vis varities. Think I will do a mix of 2-3 types and see how that goes.

Jazz4Brazo

Dan...so wish you were nearby as we have a hardscape/landscape job coming up and finding reputable quality company that is available (or truly wants the work...maybe this spring will be different?) is hard to come by 😞

Of course that assumes you do residential or are you only commercial?...just curious.

Hope you guys are all safe and well !!

Pierre 

Swampy 16

We do commercial/industrial only. As far as SE PA is concerned there’s a place in New Brunswick called Jersey Seed, or they were, they may have changed their name  but you’ll still find them under that. They have a mix called Jersyite that I really like. If your in the area grab some or call and ask them to recommend something. They’re very nice people and family owned and operated. We buy seed by the pallet from them so I trust their opinion. Pierre, you’re screwed 😂

Swampy 16

Pierre, in all seriousness what kind of project?

Mike Connally

Scott’s Contractors Mix. Worked fast in my backyard and mostly survived my two Setters.  

shoot-straight

When we built our house we converted about 3 acres to grass- went to seed store (actual seed store) talked to the grass guy. I described what I had And where i was - he knew the spot, passes it on his way to work. Said- k31. On that dry hill everything else would burn up. He was right. The initial planting did ok I guess but since then I have Spent thousands of $$ on seed, fert, seeder, etc with poor results. Tried all kinds. Getting grass thicker is really hard because the young grass has to compete with the established stuff for water and fert. When we put in our pool, I had A blank slate. I tried A premium seed, did everything right and still had holes. So, as mentioned by others I bought Some zoysia plugs. Used those tk fill in. They self spread, self weed and needs very little water. Area around pool is about 20% now. Will be over 50 by end of this summer. Only bad thing is it turns brown in the winter and is slow to green in the summer.

k31 is the toughest all around grass. Zoysia May be  #2

Jazz4Brazo
8 hours ago, Swampy 16 said:

Pierre, in all seriousness what kind of project?

Long story...had a sink hole we thought was resolved before we had backyard landscaped ~10 yrs ago...at the time they excavated 10' down and found little to nothing...we had ~60 truckloads of free fill brought in from a local construction site...regraded backyard and had patios and tiered retainer walls done...well it came back and and a retainer wall came down. After having a few different landscape companies come in with varying opinion on thoughts from underground river, true sinkhole, buried stumps rotting from 30 yrs ago initial home build (common builder trick back then) we had an excavation company come in...end results it was a deep pit dug and filled with rock blasted out to build foundation (NH is the granite state!!)...last fall they removed four 6 - 8 ft boulders and a 10 ft high x 10 ft wide pile of 2 - 3 ft boulders...back filled and ready to go now.

Couple that with last year after we finished a major indoor remodel we had a dozen 100 ft plus hardwoods taken out front and so now need to regrade front, relay a blue stone walkway due to settling, redesign front gardens due to finally have sunlight and the need to rebuild the wall and lay a new lower patio and you have a big mixed job...plus its now time to pull up and relay a new driveway given its 30 yrs old and seen its life especially after all the heavy trucks, loaders, and other assorted heavy equipment and we have yet another big expense to go to be done with this overall property redo...want to get this all done before we retire worry free...oh and my wife wants a new kitchen 😞 which we will do to match overall house refresh 🙂

Guess I won't be retiring anytime soon 😄😄

Jazz4Brazo

I am thinking I might tackle a good portion of this as my normal heavy work schedule is now zero for next number of months at a minimum.

Swampy 16
6 hours ago, Jazz4Brazo said:

Long story...had a sink hole we thought was resolved before we had backyard landscaped ~10 yrs ago...at the time they excavated 10' down and found little to nothing...we had ~60 truckloads of free fill brought in from a local construction site...regraded backyard and had patios and tiered retainer walls done...well it came back and and a retainer wall came down. After having a few different landscape companies come in with varying opinion on thoughts from underground river, true sinkhole, buried stumps rotting from 30 yrs ago initial home build (common builder trick back then) we had an excavation company come in...end results it was a deep pit dug and filled with rock blasted out to build foundation (NH is the granite state!!)...last fall they removed four 6 - 8 ft boulders and a 10 ft high x 10 ft wide pile of 2 - 3 ft boulders...back filled and ready to go now.

Couple that with last year after we finished a major indoor remodel we had a dozen 100 ft plus hardwoods taken out front and so now need to regrade front, relay a blue stone walkway due to settling, redesign front gardens due to finally have sunlight and the need to rebuild the wall and lay a new lower patio and you have a big mixed job...plus its now time to pull up and relay a new driveway given its 30 yrs old and seen its life especially after all the heavy trucks, loaders, and other assorted heavy equipment and we have yet another big expense to go to be done with this overall property redo...want to get this all done before we retire worry free...oh and my wife wants a new kitchen 😞 which we will do to match overall house refresh 🙂

Guess I won't be retiring anytime soon 😄😄

Whatever you do Pierre, get the stumps from those hardwoods removed, not ground, removed. I know it’s another big expense but if you don’t you’ll regret it. Bluestone walk? I suggest a concrete base for that or you’ll be releveling it again. Paver driveway is another one I’d suggest a concrete base for, or do stamped concrete. Pavers are a PIA although they look awesome when done right. It sounds like you know a few contractors already. Any work you’re having done be sure to educate yourself on thoroughly prior to any estimates. You’ll be shocked how many bone heads you’ll eliminate by doing that. The landscape industry is chock full of self taught know-it-all’s that are experts in everything but really don’t know sh!t about anything. My industry is really not regulated so anyone can be a landscaper. I’ve seen people do things that would shock you beyond imagination. A paver patio laid on top of turf? Yup,  my buddy delivers mulch and went to house where he knew the people. They said come look at our awesome new patio. He said it looked amazing but stepped off the edge and a brick moved. He picked it up and there was yellow grass under it. He went a bit further and found a little stone dust here and there to level the bricks a bit. They’d just finished it, that’s why he was bringing mulch. Educate yourself like you’re buying an appliance or computer. These people had no idea a patio required a base. They got ripped off and I’m not sure of the outcome.