REGISTERING FOR MEMBERSHIP ON UPLAND JOURNAL Read more... ×
Sign in to follow this  
Scar

Help me pick my best from this past season

Scar

I'm doing this on another board I post on and I thought I'd copy it over here because I value your opinions.  I've been going through my photos from this year and trying to identify the best of them. I thought I might ask for your help.

First a couple words about how I take my pictures. I'm not a professional photographer. In fact, my wife says I'm strongly right-brained and without a meaningful sense of style or taste. I know what I like in a photograph and I try to repeat that equation. I take a LOT of pictures and cull out the best of them before sharing. I've been taught some basic composition and lighting by virtue of a photography class I took in high school. I've read articles and books about photography. It's a skill like any other so practice makes for improvement.

For what I want to do I've divided my pictures into five broad categories. 1) Tailgate shots 2) Still Life shots 3) Scenic Shots, 4) Portrait shots and 5) Action shots. There is more than a little overlap in the categories but I need a meaningful way to break them up.   Most, but not all, of categories 1-4 are taken with my iPhone X. Almost all of the category 5 shots are screen captures from footage I shoot on my GoPro 7. Shooting frequently with both cameras has helped me have a better understanding of what each will do. I store my photos on Google Photos and use their editing tools (which are fantastic).

What I want your help with is picking the best picture of each category that I took last season. I've culled each category to a manageable number of representative images which I'll post in proceeding posts. Let me know which you prefer in each category and why. I'm interested in whether what I like is consistent with other hunters preferences. Post your picks by selecting the best of each category and listing them. Here in a week or so I'll post the winners for each category and we can vote on the best of the best.

Seems like a fun way to practice some social distancing rolleyes.png

Scar

Tailgate Shots (not posted in order of my preference).

596-C514-F-8669-48-ED-9903-2-D2259-EB87-

IMG-2383.jpg

Dot-Phez3-1.jpg

IMG-2370.jpg

IMG-2298.jpg

Scar

Still Life (my favorite kind of photos and still NOT in my order of preference)

Cooler2-1.jpg

6BD73DDB-7E69-4537-89D0-FD6DBFDE36F2.jpg

EFFECTS-5.jpg

EFFECTS-4.jpg

EFFECTS-2.jpg

Scar

Scenic shots (again, not in order of my preference)

IMG-1657-EFFECTS.jpg

IMG-1991.jpg

TeddyPoint2.jpg

IMG_2620.jpg

GH010263-Moment2.jpg

Scar

Portrait shots (lots of overlap here with category 1 but I decided there was enough difference to warrant two categories AND as before draw no inference from their order)

John-Max5-1.jpg

IMG-2376.jpg

IMG-1974.jpg

COLOR-POP-1.jpg

Dot-Sign-1.jpg

Scar

Action shots (this one was tough because most of them are really similar and I could have included 10-15 pics here)

BillBen7.jpg

CEA9-FE52-0578-4-CF3-8490-4-C98471-D3511

IMG-1738.png

JeffHun2.jpg

Ellie8.jpg

Allen McCallie

I will start just by saying you are 5 for 5 on your "scenic" category. Awesome stuff!

All of these make me want to load up right now!

PM also coming.

Allen

Scar
2 hours ago, Allen McCallie said:

I will start just by saying you are 5 for 5 on your "scenic" category. Awesome stuff!

All of these make me want to load up right now!

PM also coming.

Allen

You are doing it wrong 🤪

I'll do my picks for an example (it's harder for me BTW).

From best to least favorite-

Category #1: 2,1,4,3,5

Category #2: 2,1,3,4,5

Category #3: 2,5,4,3,1

Category #4: 5,1,4,2,3

Category #5: 3,5,4,2,1

So favorites in order of category are pic #'s 2,2,2,5 and 3.  It will probably change tomorrow.

Tell me your favorites.

max2

The only help I can offer is found in the scenic shots because these two really grabbed at me. Everything else  was very nice however tuff to say I like one more then another . I realize this is not how the game is played however I felt compelled to say  I would be framing number 5 of the scenic 5 and find a nice place to display it &   # 2 of the scenic.

1971snipe
1 hour ago, Scar said:

You are doing it wrong 🤪

I'll do my picks for an example (it's harder for me BTW).

From best to least favorite-

Category #1: 2,1,4,3,5

Category #2: 2,1,3,4,5

Category #3: 2,5,4,3,1

Category #4: 5,1,4,2,3

Category #5: 3,5,4,2,1

So favorites in order of category are pic #'s 2,2,2,5 and 3.  It will probably change tomorrow.

Tell me your favorites.

Tailgates - 1, 3, all the rest

Stills - #2, all the rest

Scenic - 5, 4, 2, 1, 3

Portrait - 1, 4, 3, 2, 5

Action - 3, 2, 1, 5, 4

As you can tell, I'm not real big on tailgate shots, but I think 1 and 3 convey what a tailgate shot is intended to capture, I think.  Same thing with stills, which can be the most difficult to make a really good photo.  

Your scenic shots are all awesome, and so are the portraits and action pics.  

But, of course, what do I know? 

dgfavor

Tailgates and Stills are coinflip for me across the board - not sure if we are trying to select on basis of fine art vs. fine memories

Landscapes - #2 is my kinda shot with leading lines, wide angle, gives feeling of being there, would be more appealing with front to back crisp detail (any idea the exif data?), coinflip the rest - all really cool looking!

Portrait - #5 with some crop changes and shadow mods (to my eye it's a "vertical" shot vs. wide horizontal and I would expose for better eye detail on the dog)

Action - #1 cloning out the indistinguishable blob to frame left (is that a bird?), other than that has dramatic sky, tilt of the horizon usually not cool but in this case kind of contributes to the action, bird decently crisp, really cool capture!

Fun stuff!  Never any right or wrong answers to these things!!  Some of my favorite personal photographs are "technically" awful photos but the memories they invoke are priceless!

Scar
48 minutes ago, dgfavor said:

Tailgates and Stills are coinflip for me across the board - not sure if we are trying to select on basis of fine art vs. fine memories

Landscapes - #2 is my kinda shot with leading lines, wide angle, gives feeling of being there, would be more appealing with front to back crisp detail (any idea the exif data?), coinflip the rest - all really cool looking!

Portrait - #5 with some crop changes and shadow mods (to my eye it's a "vertical" shot vs. wide horizontal and I would expose for better eye detail on the dog)

Action - #1 cloning out the indistinguishable blob to frame left (is that a bird?), other than that has dramatic sky, tilt of the horizon usually not cool but in this case kind of contributes to the action, bird decently crisp, really cool capture!

Fun stuff!  Never any right or wrong answers to these things!!  Some of my favorite personal photographs are "technically" awful photos but the memories they invoke are priceless!

Great input.  Thanks for participating.

I'm looking for what people find pleasing to their eye.  None are fine art but some are certainly more refined images than others.  At least to my eye.

I love #2 in the scenic shots also.  Makes me want to dump a dog down and go for a long walk.

Dot is fairly photogenic and that portrait shot #5 is one of my favorites.  I'll play with cropping it to be vertical.  I agree that it might work better that way.

The dark spot in Action #1 is another bird.  In the B/W format it tones down the details and makes it hard to tell.  It really highlights the sky though.

dgfavor
1 hour ago, Scar said:

Dot is fairly photogenic and that portrait shot #5 is one of my favorites.  I'll play with cropping it to be vertical.  I agree that it might work better that way.

Can't help myself (in these trying times it gives me comfort...ha) - my take:

Dot-Sign-1.jpg.4cad82e90d35cc5ed77eac60ae6d24a0.jpg

snood

I don't know...I can't stop grinning!!!

Skybuster

I'm no expert but scenic #1 is a wall hanger IMHO.