REGISTERING FOR MEMBERSHIP ON UPLAND JOURNAL Read more... ×
Sign in to follow this  
Bird Buster

Toyota FJ Cruiser Feedback Latest Edition

Bird Buster

Anyone currently using the newest Toyota FJ Cruiser as their upland rig? Have a friend I hunt with about to purchase one. I know they are def. Capable off road but what is their limitations concerning Storage room for longer trips? I would guess no but could a 42" x 40" dog box fit in rear? If not what about two large dog crates? We would normally carry 4 dogs all 40 lbs or less 3 Brits and a GSP. Is this doable in FJ? Also how is ride and handling? There would only be us two riding in it and middle seats would be our gear storage area. Tks for feedback. 

apachecadillac

Most guys I know who go Toyota take the 4Runner over the FJ Cruiser.  The FJ Cruisers suicide doors are a PITA--they're stylish but not real practical--and the FJ Cruiser doesn't have much towing capacity (if that's relevant).  Take what I'm saying with a grain of salt--I've got a Nissan Xterra I'm very happy with and consider Toyota-world sometimes overhyped and always fully priced.

Bird Buster

Thanks Apachecadillac for reply.  I tried to get my buddy to look at the Exterra which is what I would choose but he for some unknown reason is anti Nissan. Just curious what year your Exterra is and what is your highway mpg? I may get an Exterra myself one day. 

rich223

I have a 2008 FJ Cruiser and can get one regular dog box behind the rear seat if I turn it sideways. The problem with my model is the back seat does not fold completely flat. If they fixed that problem then you should be able to get 2 or 3 dog boxes in. as far as off-roading you will find vehicles that are just as good but I doubt you will find any thing better.

Crazy Setter

I have a 2013.  

They first thing I did was take out the rear seats 🙂 I can fit 2 medium crates in and have room for my gear. Crates do take up a lot of the space though. The interior is easy to clean and holds up great. The thing will get me in and out of places with ease. I actually chose this over the 4 Runner. Had 4 Runner and Tacomas in the past and like the FJ better. 

I personally really like the suicide doors. When they are open it makes it easy to get access to space behind seats. I have fit 3 smaller kennels in but it is tight. When I have hunted 3 dogs I take out the box I made to hold gear and put an extra large wire crate in and double up my 2 dogs. Normally I have a medium wire crate sitting on top of my gear storage box. 

As far as handling goes no issues there. Ask ColdIron how it handles. He was driving behind me when a bike fell off a truck in front of me while doing 75. In a split second God said “Let there be bike” right in front of me! Missed it. 

This is one vehicle that I don’t plan on getting rid of. 

Olaf

dgfavor

I have a 2007 FJ and love it.  Right at 150K miles and really no issues...had a 4wd switch problem one time that was simple fix.  I have a Truck Vault drawer system in back and put a 2 dog DeeZee aluminum box on top of that which fits really good and easy access.  For going solo which I do alot I love it.  If I take a 3rd dog I just let it wander around the back which pretty much always has the seats folded down.  My dogs are all 40lbs plus with a couple pushing or > 60lbs so I generally just put one per box.  A buddy I go with puts two of his easily in one side of the dog box so could haul 4 if he wanted.  I would not want to do that on an extended trip but if the dogs get along can't see why a day trip with 4 dogs wouldn't work.

A buddy and I once took it and 6 dogs, wall tent, stoves, etc. in an 8ft cargo trailer with no problems for 10 days.  I tow my drift boat all the time with it.  I have a hitch mount bike rack that is kind of a PIA with regards to then opening the back door once the bike is on.  

The only negative I have is it can be a little tough to see out of particularly on vehicles coming up from behind.  I put a circular blindspot mirror on each side that really helps with that.

20171130_162634.thumb.jpg.ff835a3ec70958d25348a39e90055d75.jpg

P1030926.thumb.jpg.766e8f25d7f0d67a0acd06a0262f7382.jpg

Nutrioso

Had a 2015. Sold it a year ago. It was very capable off road, solid and easy to drive. Back seat room and visibility were terrible. My 4 Runner is more comfortable, has more room, and is much better on long trips.  The off road Capability is not quite as good as the FJ given the size and tire differences, but then I am not rock crawling with it either.  For my needs the 4 Runner is better, but the FJ was a solid vehicle. 

dgfavor
10 minutes ago, Nutrioso said:

Had a 2015. Sold it a year ago. It was very capable off road, solid and easy to drive. Back seat room and visibility were terrible. My 4 Runner is more comfortable, has more room, and is much better on long trips.  The off road Capability is not quite as good as the FJ given the size and tire differences, but then I am not rock crawling with it either.  For my needs the 4 Runner is better, but the FJ was a solid vehicle. 

Did you get good price on your 2015?  Resell value is pretty impressive on 'em.

Nutrioso
Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, dgfavor said:

Did you get good price on your 2015?  Resell value is pretty impressive on 'em.

Traded through the dealer so didn’t get top dollar, but Blue Book was surprisingly high. All Toyota trucks seem to hold value pretty well but there seems to be strong demand for the FJ. Nice drift boat pic. Looks like a great camp. 

Edited by Nutrioso
An added thought

Greg Hartman
On 4/15/2020 at 12:29 PM, dgfavor said:

I have a 2007 FJ and love it. 

Doug, my understanding is that you can't flat tow an original FJ without major modifications, just like a Tundra.  I'm assuming the same is true for the new ones.   Is that correct?  If I am wrong, an FJ would make the ultimate toad.

dgfavor

The owners manual states cannot be flat towed.  I know with the auto trans models there are some mods/driveline modifications that can be performed for flat towing and people have done it.  The manual trans models essentially just cannot be flat towed.  I believe that holds true thru all model years.  It would make a nice TOAD for sure.  

Crazy Setter

Dumb question here. Why can’t you flat tow them if they have neutral in the transfer case?

Olaf

Flush
1 hour ago, Crazy Setter said:

Dumb question here. Why can’t you flat tow them if they have neutral in the transfer case?

Olaf

Not a dumb question. It has to do with lubrication for the output shafts. On some transfer cases the output shafts will get sufficient lubrication when only they are spinning and therefore can be flat towed. On others, like on the auto trans FJ the output shafts require the input shafts to spin to get their lubrication so they can't be flat towed from  the factory.

FJ's with Auto trans can be flat towed if you disconnect the rear driveshaft. You can do this with a Remco driveshaft disconnect which is slick but is spendy. You can also just manually disconnect the driveshaft which is only 4 bolts and is only about a 2 minute job, but it does require you to crawl under the rig to do it. People do flat tow auto FJs using both above driveshaft disconnect methods. Like Doug note, the manual trans FJs are a different beast for flat towing.

mister grouse

Two friends "sold" theirs due to complete blind spots in mirror and cab structure.  Both survived major crashes from those problems.FWIW.  Others love them. You either love them or hate them apparently.

Crazy Setter

Gotcha. Thanks for clarifying it for me. 

Much appreciated.

Olaf