REGISTERING FOR MEMBERSHIP ON UPLAND JOURNAL Read more... ×
Field Grade

Triumph Bonneville -- vintage or modern recommendations

SUPER FOX

Rhinebeck is an excellent vintage meet. So is Barbers MotorSports Vintage weekend, 1st weekend in Oct-near Birmingham.

The Vincent in my opinion is the most stylish of British bikes, closely followed by the Brough Superiors. They are in the stratosphere, however...to purchase.

My really favorite bikes are the ones I own:

a 1951 R 51/3 and a 1962 R 69 S followed by a 75 R 90 S. (900cc).

These are older BMW machines and they are both tough and reliable-while nimble. (One-half of all BMWs made-are still running & on the road.)

It is not unusual for them to go over 100 K miles in their lifetime.

The first two older bikes are kick starts and magneto-but they purr along. If I get to the point where I can't

kick them over, will park on a hill. The German boxer engine is an amazing design. Like a Fox or a Winchester Model 12.

Only the dead have seen the end of war.  Plato

DonT
2 hours ago, Field Grade said:

^^^ Thanks, I will check it out,

https://www.revzilla.com/common-tread/gathering-of-the-nortons

Since your interested, this is a lot of FUN- "The Gathering of the Norton"s"  a rally at Washington Crossing Park PA  every spring , this would have been the 27th year.  

These guys ride their bikes to this, on a nice day there could be 1,000 bikes, mostly British.  It's pretty cool to see a Vincent Black Shadow riding in.  

I like to ride in on something snotty and radical with pipes and I'm not the only one who does. 

walt lister
On ‎4‎/‎24‎/‎2020 at 10:53 AM, DonT said:

Quote, DonT ------------       It's pretty cool to see a Vincent Black Shadow riding in.  

I have a Vincent story.

Late '60s my cousin and I would stop at a local gas station to fill up before driving out to the desert to ride or race our dirt bikes that were loaded up in my van. A couple of times we gassed up at the same time that a guy riding a Vincent Black Shadow did. He was a small man, maybe 5' 7 or 8" tall, ramrod straight and maybe 60 years old, English accent. We admired his bike and he was curious about our setup and what we were doing. He said he was riding up to the Rockhouse on Topanga Canyon. His bike was gorgeous, all shiny black and gleaming nickel and he was just as sharp in tailored black leathers, shiny black boots and an old style helmet and goggles. He had to really jump up to kick start the Vincent and it had a distinctive exhaust crackle. That bike, that rider and that sound are burned in my memory 50+ years later as sharp as if it happened last week.  

DonT

Walt, that's Priceless, what a memory to have.  

max2

Since were talking British who was it that had the Chrome Gas Tank  ? Royal Enfield ?  I can see the bike I just don't remember the make. 

DonT
2 hours ago, max2 said:

Since were talking British who was it that had the Chrome Gas Tank  ? Royal Enfield ?  I can see the bike I just don't remember the make. 

Multiple Royal Enfield's did-   BSA had chrome tanks

Auto-5

I always thought the vintage Bonnievilles were beautiful bikes. 

Irish Joe

While riding through my small town a few years ago, I drove past a gas station as a few Harleys were waiting to pull out. They pulled out behind me as I drove to my friend's sporting goods store. I pulled in front of the store and backed into the curb (like you are supposed to). These bikes pulled over and one guy ran up to me and yelled, "Hey man, there's something hanging off your bike." I had no idea what the H*** he was talking about until he pointed at the kickstart on my old Harley.........

I shook my head and walked into the store.

Rockdoc

Back in 1975 when my wife and I were living in Menlo Park CA my wife’s cousin rode out from Illinois on his kick-start Harley Sportster and stayed with us for a few days. While there he asked me if I wanted to ride it, I said “Sure!” not knowing that the Sportsters of that vintage had magnetos. The thing with magnetos is that they put out very little power at low RPMs and Harley had geared the kick-start as low as they could just so the normal sized person could kick over the 1000cc V twin engine. If you didn’t get it started in the first two kicks chances are it’d flood and you’d have to bump start it. I didn’t know this and promptly flooded it! I still remember that evening while getting ready for bed looking in horror at the ENORMOUS black & blue mark on my inner thigh from smacking it into the top of the oil tank when I kicked the beast over, time and time and time and time again!

Steve

PS I finally bump started it, it’s lucky I was tall enough to easily hop on.

Virgil Kane

Ah yes, old Harley's.  Here's the only picture of my 74 Sportster, last of the wrong side shifters.  Mine was electric start but the darn starter hardly ever worked so most times I would bump start it like Rockdoc.  Rode all over with that Sportster and I use to race my brother with his Kawi 900.  Dead even up to about 105 mph and then I ran out of top end and he would walk away from me.  Great bike for around town or riding solo just like the Triumph's but when I got this Sportster I sold my old 56 panhead and really missed the weight of that old wide glide on the rode.

Old bikes rock !! 

001.thumb.jpg.c3c8196758bebdcaaaad9eb792381d12.jpg

Virgil

Lurch
On 5/1/2020 at 2:14 PM, Irish Joe said:

While riding through my small town a few years ago, I drove past a gas station as a few Harleys were waiting to pull out. They pulled out behind me as I drove to my friend's sporting goods store. I pulled in front of the store and backed into the curb (like you are supposed to). These bikes pulled over and one guy ran up to me and yelled, "Hey man, there's something hanging off your bike." I had no idea what the H*** he was talking about until he pointed at the kickstart on my old Harley.........

I shook my head and walked into the store.

sometimes you just gotta wonder.  Just a couple years back, I was one qt short of oil for a change, I so I rode my 1940 knucklehead to the local HD Stealership. As my luck would have it, their bad-@ss HOG (Harley Owners Group) club decked out freshly-creased chaps, were getting ready to terrorize the the masses on their ride-for-hamburgers run.  As I backed in (as Joe said, plus with a +20 springer, it turns sharper backwards!) I had a group come over and look it over, then scoff and say "They don't work on <asian slang> Crap here! Take it down the road!".

To quote Kelli Bundy - "it wobbles the mind"

chop.JPG

max2
1 hour ago, Lurch said:

I so I rode my 1940 knucklehead to the local HD Stealership. As my luck would have it, their bad-@ss HOG (Harley Owners Group) club decked out freshly-creased chaps, were getting ready to terrorize the the masses on their ride-for-hamburgers run. 

To quote Kelli Bundy - "it wobbles the mind"

chop.JPG

Darn "RUB's" anyway😁

Cooter Brown

In my opinion, there's nothing in this world
Beats a '52 Vincent and a red headed girl
Now Nortons and Indians and Greeves's won't do
They don't have a soul like a Vincent '52

walt lister
16 hours ago, Cooter Brown said:

In my opinion, there's nothing in this world
Beats a '52 Vincent and a red headed girl
Now Nortons and Indians and Greeves's won't do
They don't have a soul like a Vincent '52

Cooter Brown
13 minutes ago, walt lister said:

Last night I watched three different versions of Del singing this!

The first time I saw Richard Thompson do the song was before it had even been released--it was the first time I'd seen him, an all acoustic show, and the overwhelming thought I had was that I had no idea anyone could play a guitar that well.  Not a dropped, dead, or misplaced note the whole show.

This show is from around the same time period.  He introduces the song here and it's clear nobody's heard it.  It's the second song he plays on this recording.

"Red hair and black leather is my favorite color scheme".  Oh hell yeah!