REGISTERING FOR MEMBERSHIP ON UPLAND JOURNAL Read more... ×
shoot-straight

Big hunt tomorrow

shoot-straight

Big hunt lined up for am...

I need to Dispatch a stubborn groundhog at the barn where my wife boards her horse. Never hunted them before. Plan to get near his hole before light and set up with my 22 about 50m away. Like I would For turkey. 

Any word of wisdom would be appreciated. Success would be a big deal. Horses and whistle pigs don't mix well.

Birdcountry70

Watch the wind, full camo and face paint are mandatory. Try not to skyline yourself.  Tape that gun up too. Beware of the sun glinting off the scope lens. Aim small, miss small. I would recommend watching Caddy Shack tonight. You can learn a lot from a true pro like Bill Murray. Good luck and keep yer powder dry!😉

Remo

Or gopher poison.

lee sykes

I used to go out just before sunset. That always seemed like the best time to catch them out. 

shoot-straight

3C0DD5CC-82FF-4A54-8A55-B6E61F13FCE9.png

Brad Eden

Ive shot more woodchucks than Id like to admit...have enough gun...

Seriously though, they are a cinch to catch in a live hav a hart type trap if he proves too cunning to shoot. 

charlo slim

Don't shoot the horse.

shoot-straight

Shot my best buck ever here this year, I'm the only one they let hunt here. Killing this will endear me to them further. Have to use the 22. Loud firearms are not compatible. 

need more clothes. It's chilly. Seen a few deer so far. 

shoot-straight
1 hour ago, Brad Eden said:

Ive shot more woodchucks than Id like to admit...have enough gun...

Seriously though, they are a cinch to catch in a live hav a hart type trap if he proves too cunning to shoot. 

Explain your trap setup please. I think I have a big have a heart

Brad Eden

I have the coon sized trap. I close and “lock” one door and keep the other open and triggered. I take whatever vegetation I think the woodchuck is eating and/or take salad stuff like lettuce, carrots etc and place it back in against the closed door and sprinkle some of it on the pan and near entrance. I put the trap generally in the direction of travel. 

charlo slim

Now we're talking!

shoot-straight

Thanks brad- will likely set one up if this doesn't work out this am. 

grouse28

Hope you are using a repeater and not a single shot. A wounded ground hog is nothing to be taken lightly. Regardless have a tree or fence nearby to scale if worse comes to worse. Yea I know they can climb, but it slows them down a bit allowing a killing shot. Keep your wits about you. Those teeth are nothing to mess with, one chomp and they can sever grass blades or bean sprouts!

Beware and take care.

drummer's stump

My grandparents grew a massive garden every year that provided vegetables for the whole family. By the time I was 7 I had taken some Boone and Crockett whistlepigs. My favorite hunt was the spot and stalk, they have great hearing and can feel ground vibrations so watch Tremors and remember heal toe, but anyway aim for the spot halfway between the ear and the eye much like an elephant. A shot placed here will make the tail spin in circles. My favorite rifle was the Anschutz woodchucker topped with a 2x7x30 Leupold shooting CCI stingers. The stinger is the dangerous game load for farm kids. For up close work, or multiple raiders the marlin model 60 was the go to rifle. Godspeed 

rudyc

Get yourself an American Water Spaniel, our Dixie had a real hate for them!

DSCN1210.JPG

IMG_20130420_145536_839.jpg

IMG_20130717_115331_435.jpg