REGISTERING FOR MEMBERSHIP ON UPLAND JOURNAL Read more... ×
shoot-straight

Big hunt tomorrow

shoot-straight
Just now, charlo slim said:

Transport and release?  What a lily-livered @#%$# cop-out!! 👎

https://foragerchef.com/a-groundhog-stew/

And a Euro mount of course (assuming he scores high enough).

oh no- if i get him he will not be released alive. 

Recoil Rob

Bring backup...

polecat

I would use a mock scrape(synthetic only),scent drag and a game camera.

Brad Eden
3 hours ago, shoot-straight said:

oh no- if i get him he will not be released alive. 

Don’t be so sure. I’ve been on vendettas against woodchucks that kept nipping off my seedlings...but especially coons that killed my chicks and turklets and chickens and wiped out sweet corn crops. I’d stake out all night with a shotgun and spotlight, even tied chicken legs attached to cans so I’d hear the bastard and spotlight and shoot them. I could never seem to kill them with a firearm. But I could catch the woodchucks and coons in a live trap. As soon as I walked up to them trapped and defenseless it’s as if a wave came over me and I no longer wanted bloody vengeance. This is a true story. Shooting a chick or coon in a wide metal trap isn’t safe to begin with and popping then as they skuddle and lope away from a trap, or drowning them in the trap just isn’t for me anymore. I’ll waste the gas and relocate far away. Call me soft. I’m Ok with it, and Ok with anyone who doesn’t let them go. 

kgb

I used old Super-X solids on 2 woodchucks at my grandfather's house, waited on the porch and slid the door open as each worked his way down the yard.  One shot each, they humped up and died on the spot(s).  Small chucks, but a larger one should succumb to a centered solid as well I'd think.  Good luck!

co_setter
22 hours ago, dgfavor said:

Noooooo!!  You cannot start a thread like this, at a time like this!  You cant give it a wee go and tell us you're gonna trap it!  We need the gripping re-telling of a crisp morning arriving in the dark to your hide, a slowly rising sun revealing "him" at the brink of his hole, a mist coming from the nostrils of the vermin as he tested the air for sensed but unseen trouble, the last minute adjustment to your rest to settle the crosshairs, the settling of your nerves and a deeeeep release of breath with the loong, purposeful squeeze of a trigger, the ridiculously loud click of a firing pin striking an empty chamber, the dust that seemed to eternally hang in the morning air raised by the whirling and retreat of your furred nemesis...this is not an animal to be trapped, not now...the world needs a hero...no pressure...😉

Good but needs a more in depth description of the bespoke rifle passed down from your paternal grandfather.  😊

shoot-straight

Nah- only have two guns passed down from my dad. One is a austrian musket, maybe 54 caliber. And a old 1873? Springfield trapdoor. Both wouldn't be enough gun for this job.

edit- on second thought maybe I'll stab it in the cage with the banyonet from the Springfield.

Recoil Rob
7 hours ago, Brad Eden said:

Don’t be so sure. I’ve been on vendettas against woodchucks that kept nipping off my seedlings...but especially coons that killed my chicks and turklets and chickens and wiped out sweet corn crops. I’d stake out all night with a shotgun and spotlight, even tied chicken legs attached to cans so I’d hear the bastard and spotlight and shoot them. I could never seem to kill them with a firearm. But I could catch the woodchucks and coons in a live trap. As soon as I walked up to them trapped and defenseless it’s as if a wave came over me and I no longer wanted bloody vengeance. This is a true story. Shooting a chick or coon in a wide metal trap isn’t safe to begin with and popping then as they skuddle and lope away from a trap, or drowning them in the trap just isn’t for me anymore. I’ll waste the gas and relocate far away. Call me soft. I’m Ok with it, and Ok with anyone who doesn’t let them go. 

Yeah, a few years back I was planning to go Full Metal Bill Murray when I caught whatever was eating my vegetable garden in the Havahart. Next morning I ended up driving a possum about 10 miles away for a release.

SODAKer

Hey man, we all have to eat; Nature just doing what nature does. But I gotta say my gramma was hard on chucks that got into her garden, I mean dead hard. 

dogrunner

Plant some soybeans and they will come they love em, you also might need a spotter calling the wind for ya. 😁

atticus

You are all missing the point here... 

The North American groundhog ( (Marmota monax), or "Woodchuck" is very close in appearance to the Rock Hyrax ( Procavia capensis) of Africa. 

Rock Hyrax (Dassie)

800px-Procavia-capensis-Frontal.JPG

Woodchuck

800px-Marmota_monax_UL_04.jpg

The rock Hyrax is actually related to the African Elephant (Loxodonta Africana).

DSC01096-XL.jpg

In these strange days, it is not difficult to convince yourself (more specifically-- your significant other) that you are actually on an Elephant hunt--the most dangerous game on the planet and as such requires a new dangerous game rifle! 

This is your big chance, first some research on the perfect rifle to hunt this dangerous game.  Jon "Pondoro" Taylor was a big fan or the 450/400 3" in a double.  Sure, a .275 Rigby can be used, and was to great effect by W.M. "Karamojo" Bell and Jim Corbet, but that's basically a deer rifle right?  Now is the time to order a new, bespoke, double!! The aforementioned 450/400 3" has more than enough "umphf"  (400 grain solid at 2250 fps) for everything on the planet, a manageable recoil and--importantly, available commercial ammunition!  (a side note here--if you want an additional excuse to start reloading this is your chance--get the double in some no longer commercially produced caliber --450/400 3 1/4 has similar ballistics/recoil to the 3" version but is different).

Then comes your style of hunt.  Do you really want to hunt such a dangerous and wary beast by ambush sitting in a blind?  NO!!  Such a noble quarry deserves a traditional tracking hunt!  In the evening find the likely tracks then return at first light, pick up the trail and follow. Keep an eye on the wind and try to keep the sun behind you.  When you close to within 50 yards slowly get on the sticks.  Shot placement is paramount! The frontal brain shot is the classic (and dangerous!) shot everyone wants to take, but you may have to settle for the side brain shot.  If a lung shot is all that's offered you may have to take it but be sure to send the second bbl shot in quick succession.  If (and I recommend this) you have another person backing you up, have that person fire at the hip to stop it from fleeing.  Now that the groundhog is down comes the dangerous part--reload and walk up carefully--many have died walking up on a "dead" woodchuck!  Add a couple "insurance shots, just to be on the safe side. 

Now, that the quest is at an end, cut off the tail in classic safari custom to show your ownership of the trophy.  As for taxidermy, the bleached skull would look great on the floor near the fireplace and perhaps mount the "tusks" so that one is on each side of the door as you enter your trophy room!

Good luck and let us know what double you decide on!

groundhog_full_skull_taxidermy_mount_222

fishvik
On 4/16/2020 at 1:40 PM, Brad Eden said:

....a running shot, as it scoots out of the trap is very challenging, as are any running shots with a .22. Using a shotgun isn’t quite as impressive. Otherwise burn some gas and release it far far away...but not to the next state like you would a coon.

Make a clean head shot, skin him, gut him and grill and eat him. They are tasty grilled because they grilling gets rid of most of the fat. Reminds me of pork. Save the hide for a fly tying buddy.

Tim Frazier

Don't shoot the barn either!  This one died with his butt touching the corner.

IMG_7431.thumb.JPG.f5b5adc7a22370f27696cac154247558.JPG

Fishnfowler

If you give up and go for the trap, (I'm not advising this), it is a little known secret that if it is a male, they prefer a cold IPA.  If it is female, a dry white wine is preferred. 

20150421_125244.jpg

airmedic1

On 4/18/2020 at 9:33 AM, atticus said:

Now that the groundhog is down comes the dangerous part--reload and walk up carefully--many have died walking up on a "dead" woodchuck!  Ada couple "insurance shots, just to be on thesafe side. 

Don’t forget to pay the insurance on “dead” dangerous game like a chuck!  Always pay the insurance!