Jump to content
REGISTERING FOR MEMBERSHIP ON UPLAND JOURNAL Read more... ×
Alaskan Swamp Collie

New vehicle timing

Recommended Posts

WI Outdoor Nut
1 hour ago, 25/06 said:

Brad is that $15,000 off of sticker or the price you can actually buy a new one for? I ask because in 15 I looked very hard for a similar deal. I ended up buying a "new" 14 f150 pretty much

what a wanted for $13,000 off of sticker. I was buying no trade. The deals presented to me penciled out to about  $3,000 to $3,800 off of new with 24,000- 34,000 miles.

This might just be me I seem to avoid good deals

 

I spent a few hours next to a big car dealer yesterday in South Dakota and I did not see one car pull in.

I agree with this.  Just need to be patient.  I bought a truck in Feb that was $17K off sticker.  It wasn't the color I had hoped for (red), but the price was too good to pass up.  With the talk on here, I did a search yesterday for trucks in my area.  I found my exact truck (2019) for $10K more than I paid.  The kicker with mine, it had 300 miles on it and had to be sold as "Used".  There are deals out there on new or near new vehicles, just need to look in the right places. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Dogwood

I have 2 used cars I want to sell this might be perfect timing.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Brad Eden
5 hours ago, 25/06 said:

Brad is that $15,000 off of sticker or the price you can actually buy a new one for? I ask because in 15 I looked very hard for a similar deal. I ended up buying a "new" 14 f150 pretty much

what a wanted for $13,000 off of sticker. I was buying no trade. The deals presented to me penciled out to about  $3,000 to $3,800 off of new with 24,000- 34,000 miles.

This might just be me I seem to avoid good deals

 

I spent a few hours next to a big car dealer yesterday in South Dakota and I did not see one car pull in.

The 15k is the difference between the sticker price on the Lease off for sale 2018 truck I mentioned, and a comparable new 2020 Tundra. Naturally negotiations would alter those figures, but there would likely be enough savings to go for the used low mileage truck for me.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
max2

Since your going with a used vehicle I would doubt if they have any great finance incentives . That is if you were going to finance the vehicle.  I think if I were in your position .( Certainly not suggesting anything but rather participating in the thread) I would go to my bank and talk to my friend who works in the loan dept. I would inform her I am in the market for a new to me truck and I don't want a monthly payment higher then a certain amount. How much will that type payment buy me ? 

 

Once I had that all figured I would drive in there with my trade .Even if it were to me a 100.00 dollar beater. They will take it and tell you they will give you 500.00 or what ever other number they pull out of there (well you know what I mean 😉) Say you will give them a check for the balance. Which you have figured out with your bank in advance .  leave and let them stew if you have to .I am guessing they won't want to let you leave.  Now is a good  time to be buying . JMHO    

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Brad Eden
11 minutes ago, max2 said:

Since your going with a used vehicle I would doubt if they have any great finance incentives . That is if you were going to finance the vehicle.  I think if I were in your position .( Certainly not suggesting anything but rather participating in the thread) I would go to my bank and talk to my friend who works in the loan dept. I would inform her I am in the market for a new to me truck and I don't want a monthly payment higher then a certain amount. How much will that type payment buy me ? 

 

Once I had that all figured I would drive in there with my trade .Even if it were to me a 100.00 dollar beater. They will take it and tell you they will give you 500.00 or what ever other number they pull out of there (well you know what I mean 😉) Say you will give them a check for the balance. Which you have figured out with your bank in advance .  leave and let them stew if you have to .I am guessing they won't want to let you leave.  Now is a good  time to be buying . JMHO    

Yes on financing, I’m semi retired and run a niche traditional Board...🤔😉 I talked to the auto loan department at my bank. Despite having financed several vehicles there without a hitch, and having excellent credit the best they could do was 3.99% for 72 months. Again I’m not loaded and low monthly payments are more important than length of financing. I think that’s high. I haven’t moved on this truck so haven’t seen what financing through the dealership would be. I was told by bank that all transactions between me and them and dealership would be largely digital and through drive thrus due to the you know what. My 06 Tundra with 208k mikes is only worth 3k on Trade in since it’s a rusty northeast vehicle with some bumps and bruises. I’d keep it as a plow truck or sell it privately with plow for 4-5k I think. The Carfax came up on the truck I’m looking at. It was a private ownership, not a lease off and had an accident on front right. Photos show it’s been repaired etc. I’m sorta waxing and waning right now given JoAnn might walk from her part time respiratory job. Too much stress for her. So it may be a good time to buy a vehicle but not a good time for me to buy a new to me truck.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
max2
2 minutes ago, Brad Eden said:

Yes on financing, I’m semi retired and run a niche traditional Board...I talked to the auto loan department at my bank. Despite having financed several vehicles there without a hitch, and having excellent credit the best they could do was 3.99%. I think that’s high. I haven’t moved on this truck so haven’t seen what financing through the dealership would be. I was told by bank that all transactions between me and them and dealership would be largely digital and through drive thrus due to the you know what. My 06 Tundra with 208k mikes is only worth 3k on Trade in since it’s a rusty northeast vehicle with some bumps and bruises. I’d keep it as a plow truck or sell it privately with plow for 4-5k I think. The Carfax came up on the truck I’m looking at. It was a private ownership, not a lease off and had an accident on front right. Photos show it’s been repaired etc. I’m sorta waxing and waning right now given JoAnn might walk from her part time respiratory job. Too much stress for her. So it may be a good time to buy a vehicle but not a good time for me to buy a new to me truck.

Do you really want to buy a pre -wrecked vehicle ?  I would steer clear . Just me .  As far as the bank I would call around. Were locked down . Bank's love new clients . Heck you may even get a free toaster.   Your bank may feel they have you locked considering your past record with them. The way I see it you are in the drivers seat (pun intended)  Make a call , do a little staining . See what comes back .Time is on your side.  No rush here - All deliberate moves from here on out - Just like a buck of a lifetime  or a Springer in the grouse woods .... Again JMHO 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
bigjohnsd

Brad - the 17 Tacoma TRD fits you better

 

NADA says the Tacoma is worth   https://www.nadaguides.com/Cars/2017/Toyota/Tacoma/TRD-Sport-Crew-Cab-4WD-V6/Values

 

There are and will be plenty of vehicles around to buy, patience is a virtue in a buyers market.

 

As I've pointed out here before, the NADA guide and the Kelly Blue Book both have different pricing algorithms.  The NADA book falls faster than the Kelly does, hence car dealers figure your trade value with the NADA book and the retail price of the vehicle you want to buy with the Kelly book.  Usually banks and credit unions use the NADA book.

 

When buying you should go armed with the NADA values of what you are trying to buy.  See the link above.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Brad Eden
5 minutes ago, bigjohnsd said:

Brad - the 17 Tacoma TRD fits you better

 

NADA says the Tacoma is worth   https://www.nadaguides.com/Cars/2017/Toyota/Tacoma/TRD-Sport-Crew-Cab-4WD-V6/Values

 

There are and will be plenty of vehicles around to buy, patience is a virtue in a buyers market.

You are probably right. Typically there is a glut of used Lease offs and new Tacoma’s on lots. Thinking Tundra so we have the option of a camper top....plus The first gen Tundra I have now drives like a Camry. I’ve owned and been in a lot of Tacoma’s, old and new and the ride and comfort level pales in comparison to what I am driving now. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
bigjohnsd
12 minutes ago, Brad Eden said:

You are probably right. Typically there is a glut of used Lease offs and new Tacoma’s on lots. Thinking Tundra so we have the option of a camper top....plus The first gen Tundra I have now drives like a Camry. I’ve owned and been in a lot of Tacoma’s, old and new and the ride and comfort level pales in comparison to what I am driving now. 

Quote

I just checked on my local dealerships website. A 2017 Lease off Tacoma, 4 door, TRD Sport Package with 36k miles has asking pricing of $28,800. The equivalent packaged new 2020 Tacoma has an asking price of $37,800. That’s a $9000 savings. So I would say no to your question.

 

I saw where you had posted this and thought you were looking at Tacomas to start with.  

 

Both Tundra and Tacoma are good trucks but in my experience, the Tundra is quite thirsty.  

 

Good luck with the search.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
blanked
4 hours ago, Brad Eden said:

Yes on financing, I’m semi retired and run a niche traditional Board...🤔😉 I talked to the auto loan department at my bank. Despite having financed several vehicles there without a hitch, and having excellent credit the best they could do was 3.99% for 72 months. Again I’m not loaded and low monthly payments are more important than length of financing. I think that’s high. I haven’t moved on this truck so haven’t seen what financing through the dealership would be. I was told by bank that all transactions between me and them and dealership would be largely digital and through drive thrus due to the you know what. My 06 Tundra with 208k mikes is only worth 3k on Trade in since it’s a rusty northeast vehicle with some bumps and bruises. I’d keep it as a plow truck or sell it privately with plow for 4-5k I think. The Carfax came up on the truck I’m looking at. It was a private ownership, not a lease off and had an accident on front right. Photos show it’s been repaired etc. I’m sorta waxing and waning right now given JoAnn might walk from her part time respiratory job. Too much stress for her. So it may be a good time to buy a vehicle but not a good time for me to buy a new to me truck.

As mentioned earlier.  New vehicles better deals.  Around here toyota has 0% interest for 60 months.  Can’t get a better rate than that.  Then offer them $10,000 below sticker.  Worst that can happen is say no.  I offer it over the phone and tell them I am leaving now to buy it if we have a deal.  That works wonders

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
BBlizzard18

I spent the day trying to trade in my Sierra.  Started with asking about the 0% 84 month deal that's being advertised.  With that "deal" you don't qualify for the $6,500 supplier discount, or the $2,000 healthcare worker discount, which they'll just call a dealer discount if someone isn't a healthcare worker.  So, salesman said based on my FICO score I qualified for 2.9% with the $8,500 in "deals" "rebates", which is a better deal.  OK.  Settled on a price.  The salesman recommended a local place that does caps and liners thinking I might as well roll that into the truck loan. Then a finance manager calls to chat, nobody I had dealt with yet.  He says the system was acting funny and those rates didn't apply to my situation and the rebates I was going to get.  Interest rate was actually going to be 4.3%, shot the payment up a bit.  I only could get the 2.9% with a 48 month loan.  Back and forth for a bit.  Everything just seemed unorganized and chaotic.  I got sick of dealing with it and went outside with the dog.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Jacksdad

We just bought a Sequoia this past November and cross shopped Tahoes and Yukons.  Had little trouble getting about $9k off sticker + 0% for 5 or 6 years at the time.  Doesn't sound l ike they're really offering anything better now.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
max2

This is also what I would do and my reasons. Were gett'n older . Trade the plow truck and get a modern plow rig for the new to you truck with the money. One of those quick connect type set-ups. You will need the Tundra though if you go this route. Anyone that I have ever known that had an old plow truck on the grounds was always working on it and dumping money into it.  Froze up breaks, electrical issues all kinds of bad stuff. When you need it most it lets you down .  Then think about today's gasoline  and having to deal with that. You have the other equipment to help out with driveway.   Just plowing your driveway won't harm it. Things that run all the time run better. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Alaskan Swamp Collie
16 minutes ago, max2 said:

This is also what I would do and my reasons. Were gett'n older . Trade the plow truck and get a modern plow rig for the new to you truck with the money. One of those quick connect type set-ups. You will need the Tundra though if you go this route. Anyone that I have ever known that had an old plow truck on the grounds was always working on it and dumping money into it.  Froze up breaks, electrical issues all kinds of bad stuff. When you need it most it lets you down .  Then think about today's gasoline  and having to deal with that. You have the other equipment to help out with driveway.   Just plowing your driveway won't harm it. Things that run all the time run better. 

I went the route of a new plow on a new truck. ONCE!! I'll take the old pos and hang a plow on it anyday. Unless your plowing is way easier than what I have done for the last 30 years. If you plow you are going to break down, end of story. And I will admit I am no mechanic. Plows break, they have a rough life, but even I can mutter through with you-tube and fix them. As to the truck though, I have lost count how many times I have slid off the road into a tree or hit a hard berm and went sideways. And don't get me started on the new easy to mount and release plows, so now I only cuss for 2 hours rather than 4. Buy a beater and leave it on there.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
max2
9 hours ago, Alaskan Swamp Collie said:

I went the route of a new plow on a new truck. ONCE!! I'll take the old pos and hang a plow on it anyday. Unless your plowing is way easier than what I have done for the last 30 years. If you plow you are going to break down, end of story. And I will admit I am no mechanic. Plows break, they have a rough life, but even I can mutter through with you-tube and fix them. As to the truck though, I have lost count how many times I have slid off the road into a tree or hit a hard berm and went sideways. And don't get me started on the new easy to mount and release plows, so now I only cuss for 2 hours rather than 4. Buy a beater and leave it on there.

My thought's were for Brad to plow just his driveway . No commercial accounts . Perhaps I am looking at this incorrectly  ? I have seen photo's of Brad's driveway and consider it very similar to my own . I know I could with great ease and little wear on a vehicle do as I had stated. This is what debates are good for . We get others perspectives on what may work and what may not .     

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×