REGISTERING FOR MEMBERSHIP ON UPLAND JOURNAL Read more... ×
1971snipe

Downloading an App

1971snipe

Not sure where else to put this.  

Anyway, I had to download the zoom app in order to attend a personal video conference.  Im very apprehensive about this, since I understand the servers are in China.  

Then I was required to download a free app to access a recent magazine digital subscription.  In accepting the app you have to agree that they will have access to your files, photos, USB (which I don't understand, entirely).  

This is all bulls__t, in my way of thinking.  Am I over-thinking this?  Is nothing on ones computer or phone safe?  

UplandHntr

I didnt need to read this as I have a Zoom mtg on the 7th.

I was also given the option of using Microsoft Teams..I havent looked into either yet.

The answer is no, nothing is safe. Wasnt the founder of LifeLock hacked????

Mike Connally
48 minutes ago, 1971snipe said:

Then I was required to download a free app to access a recent magazine digital subscription.  In accepting the app you have to agree that they will have access to your files, photos, USB (which I don't understand, entirely).  

This is all bulls__t, in my way of thinking.  Am I over-thinking this?  Is nothing on ones computer or phone safe?  

The vulnerabilities of Zoom are well known. 

That app you spoke of is ridiculous. Why don’t you just send them a bag of money right now and get it over with. 

canvasback

The app you describe is not one I would agree to their terms. Don't need any app that bad.

Zoom has lots of vulnerabilities. They all do but Zoom tries to fix things long after the cows have left the barn. I won't use it. Much happier using Facetime (Apple product only) or Skype. I do everything possible to avoid using anything Google (The long ago abandoned their motto "Do no harm" and are the epitome of Big Brother) and Facebook. Skype is now owned by Microsoft so part of their Office Suite.

Cold Iron

We are not allowed to use Zoom at work. More than a few other conferencing apps are blacklisted also, but bottom line is just say no to Zoom. I will not accept the end user agreement on any app that wants access to local files and data, period. No you are not over thinking it.