REGISTERING FOR MEMBERSHIP ON UPLAND JOURNAL Read more... ×
tut

Swing and a miss

tut

He is still out there.  Clean miss last week.  He snuck in the back door on me silent.  Saw me at the same time I saw him.  Running shot at 40 yards as he turned the corner.  Was really concerned I had wounded him but didn't see any feathers when I got to the corner.  Didn't hear him gobble the following day on the roost and thought maybe I had hit him after all.   Two days later he was laughing at me along with his current hussy (see pic).  I have seen him on and off for a few months now.  Think he is a smart old bird and survivor.  I'll try for him a couple of more times and then he gets the pass.  He has beard rot, but he is no doubt a 3 year old and the biggest bird on the farm.   

PS.  Should have never taken a running shot, but sometimes the instincts kick in before the brain can take over.

beardrot.jpg

Brad Eden

I hear you. I whiffed on the first shot on my first gobbler last week. No idea why, at about 30 yards. But instincts took over and I swung while on my butt and rolled him at around 40. Sometimes that works, sometimes you watch them disappear. 

s.davis

I had my first missed shot on a turkey this year in my life of turkey hunting. And the turkey season here in Missouri has been brutal. The birds are simultaneously everywhere and also, apparently, nowhere. The rare Schrodinger strain of eastern wild turkeys. 

I coaxed in a nice mature Tom off the roost, watched him strut until I was satisfied, and missed at 40 yds. Only bird I’ve had a shot on in about 15 days of hunting. If I’d have known missing a turkey sucked this bad, I might never have started hunting them, and I’m not sure I will again. 

idcut

There should be a support group for turkey hunters that miss a virtual gimme! :) 

I joined the group myself this year on the one and only good opportunity I had so far this year. I still can't believe how I missed and continue to replay it in my mind and second guess if I should have done something differently.

WAGinVA
Posted (edited)

Well I am going to fess up.  I tagged out in VA but.....

My second gobbler was with three others, skirted my decoys at about 60 yards then all four came back at what I estimated to be less than 50 yards and I took a shot at the closest bird.  He jumped straight up in the air, obviously hit and I shot again but he did not react.  He then flew across in front of me at about 35 yards heading to the woods behind me and I shot a third time with no reaction.  The turkey disappeared above the trees behind me and I started to feel sick.  Seconds later I hear a noise over my head ant the bird apparently turned and is flying back out into the field over my head, he proceeds to crash graveyard dead within  5 steps of my decoy.  I paced the distance to the first shot and it was 52 steps, based on my pace 47 yards.  My gun puts 300 tss pellets into 10 inches at 40 yards so the bird should have been dead at the first shot.  I completely skinned the bird to see what happened and his entire neck up to his wattles was a blood shot mess.

My final turkey approached to 20 yards, mounted my jake decoy and continued to beat the hell out of it.  I slowly got the gun up, waited for him to raise his head and shot.  Turkey was knocked completely off the the decoy, feathers flew everywhere, and when he hit the ground flat his head was still up.  Before I could react he jumped up and ran directly away from me across the field.  The field was only about 60 yards wide and when I got to he other side he had collapsed as soon as he got into the brush.

I shot the gun at paper after both incidents and there was nothing wrong with the combo.  Operator error.  Sure am glad the Red Gods were looking out after me both times.

Edited by WAGinVA

GLS

"What? You missed  a turkey? WITH A SHOTGUN?"  was asked by two friends, both turkey hunters, who had never missed after I told them about a recent miss.  I saw them a few weeks later both with sheepish looks on their faces.  They, too, had both missed.  If you shoot at enough turkeys, it's going to happen and it's all part of the game.  Gil

quailguy
12 minutes ago, GLS said:

"What? You missed  a turkey? WITH A SHOTGUN?"  was asked by two friends, both turkey hunters, who had never missed after I told them about a recent miss.  I saw them a few weeks later both with sheepish looks on their faces.  They, too, had both missed.  If you shoot at enough turkeys, it's going to happen and it's all part of the game.  Gil

As a wise old Bavarian State Forester told me: “Wer hat nie vermisst, hat nie gejagdt”. He who has never missed, has never hunted.  

Treerooster
20 hours ago, s.davis said:

The rare Schrodinger strain of eastern wild turkeys. 

Ok...I'll bite. What's the story with the Schrodinger strain. Have not heard that one, and I've hunted MO. But it was quite a while ago.

tut

My bird has an official pass.  Went back to the farm this morning after leaving it alone for a few days.  Nothing heard, nothing seen.  We are done here.  PS.  I had my pop up turkey blind in the corner and it had an unexpected visitor the other night.  Rule number one.  Never leave an empty candy wrapper in a blind.   Rule number 2.   Never assume there are not bears in the area.   PS.  The blind was destroyed.   Double PS.  Bears are not a big fan of Trailcameras.  Surprised she didn't remove this one from the tree.  I had a bear a few years ago rip one off the tree and proceed to chew on it. 

Screenshot (346).png

Screenshot (352).png

Screenshot (351).png

SODAKer
1 hour ago, tut said:

My bird has an official pass.  Went back to the farm this morning after leaving it alone for a few days.  Nothing heard, nothing seen.  We are done here.  PS.  I had my pop up turkey blind in the corner and it had an unexpected visitor the other night.  Rule number one.  Never leave an empty candy wrapper in a blind.   Rule number 2.   Never assume there are not bears in the area.   PS.  The blind was destroyed.   Double PS.  Bears are not a big fan of Trailcameras.  Surprised she didn't remove this one from the tree.  I had a bear a few years ago rip one off the tree and proceed to chew on it. 

Screenshot (346).png

Screenshot (352).png

Screenshot (351).png

Yikes! Just think if she would have been waiting in the blind for ya, Tut; lol. 

tut

Agree.  With two cubs she would have taken me down in a heartbeat.  Hell, I think the cubs are big enough to take me down.  I ain't much truly. 

Mike da Carpenter
On 5/8/2020 at 8:29 PM, tut said:

He is still out there.  Clean miss last week.  He snuck in the back door on me silent.  Saw me at the same time I saw him.  Running shot at 40 yards as he turned the corner.  Was really concerned I had wounded him but didn't see any feathers when I got to the corner.  Didn't hear him gobble the following day on the roost and thought maybe I had hit him after all.   Two days later he was laughing at me along with his current hussy (see pic).  I have seen him on and off for a few months now.  Think he is a smart old bird and survivor.  I'll try for him a couple of more times and then he gets the pass.  He has beard rot, but he is no doubt a 3 year old and the biggest bird on the farm.   

PS.  Should have never taken a running shot, but sometimes the instincts kick in before the brain can take over.

beardrot.jpg

All I’m going to say...

5D7B91B4-AC64-4821-9D26-30A879E5AC2B.jpeg.f4f8cbb1705955d6dc2c73658997d581.jpeg

s.davis
13 hours ago, Treerooster said:

Ok...I'll bite. What's the story with the Schrodinger strain. Have not heard that one, and I've hunted MO. But it was quite a while ago.

“Schrodinger’s Cat” is a thought experiment in quantum mechanics in which a hypothetical cat is simultaneously alive and dead until observed as one or the other.

grouse28
4 hours ago, tut said:

Screenshot (346).png

Screenshot (352).png

Screenshot (351).png

Candy wrapper or not. Bears just do not like blinds or cameras.

We have gotten many dental pictures of bears. Bears just seem to like to wrestle blinds.

I have seen a bear stand up and just lean on in and flatten a blind and roll on it. We have lost a dozen blinds to bears very the years.

quailguy
22 hours ago, Treerooster said:

Schrodingers cat is a physics thought problem, where Schrödinger’s cat is both alive and dead. Ie; the turkey was shot and is both dead and alive. 

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Schrödinger's_cat

The problem is based upon quantum physics, or the physics of extremely small subatomic particles in which some pretty spooky effects result. One of them is that the mere act of observing a quantum particle changes its state.  So a subatomic particle might be “alive” or “dead” depending upon when and where it was observed.  It could simultaneously possess those attributes. According to some observers. 
it’s complicated .