REGISTERING FOR MEMBERSHIP ON UPLAND JOURNAL Read more... ×
charlo slim

National News Coverage on Turkey Hunting.....

charlo slim

..... and it's slander free! 😁Turkey Hunting - AP

DennisMcFeely

That’s part of the reason I started turkey hunting this year, something to do outdoors with everything going on.

My friend is a very experienced turkey hunter with access to private land. He took me out a few times but never got any in range of the decoys. I learned a lot though and now I see why people love to turkey hunt.  For me it was a very cool way to forget about the Covid for a while 

mister grouse

The  telechek kill number in many southern states have revealed that many new resident hunters took to the woods this spring for the first time :, laid off, or out of school, bored, why not try something new.  Heck many formerly working folks are making more money staying at home with unemployment benefits( EX: 2/3 of normal wages /weekly earning plus a $600 weekly gub- ment  check and additional benefits if they are nervous about COVID and free food handed to you in your car) than they might have made on the regular  job.

And then there is the safety factor with a lot of new hunters n the woods. I ve read more accidents are caused by/ from experienced hunters than new ones, but it all makes me nervous.    http://www.turkey-talk.com/tblog/?p=1736   

Lurch

I love the excitement of having a hot tom come running to the dekes.

But I also love taking a nap against a tree on a cool spring day when they're not cooporating.

Brad Eden

I’m hard into the Maine spring turkey hunting season. I look forward to it all winter, and especially so this year. The birds have been challenging.

Most people who scoff at wild turkey hunting have never experienced it. IMO.

And then there are friends who don’t hunt and send you photos like this. 3 mature Toms hanging out next to his house down in Cape Cod MA, in a no discharge/no hunting area. That’s keeping it real and humbling.

D4B1EE42-52C8-4EE3-A3CB-F5FD8EC185FA.jpeg

WAGinVA

I think your buddy is messing with you.  Three mature gobblers within a ten foot radius all in the same pose?  Can you say photoshop.

Brad Eden
1 minute ago, WAGinVA said:

I think your buddy is messing with you.  Three mature gobblers within a ten foot radius all in the same pose?  Can you say photoshop.

He’s not that clever or talented...Unless they are decoys...

WAGinVA

Does he have kids or a 14 yo grandkid?

snakeroll

I have seen more trucks of what I presume are hunters on private land this year but also have observed less birds on the commute/scouting route. See what this cold, wet, snowy spring does to the hatch. We still tag out in the first couple days, so the take is subjective, if you scout 'em you will probably kill 'em. The happenstance hunters may be SOL though. Been good streamer strippin 'n swingin weather though.

Brad Eden

I contacted my friend down on Cape Cod who sent me the previous photo of the three Toms. I told him some turkey hunters I know think that the photo was photoshopped. I asked if he had any more photos. He sent me these from his yard. He has 30-50 wild turkeys roaming his neighborhood. He won’t admit it but I’m sure he feeds them. 

Half tame town “wild” Turkeys make us earnest wild turkey hunters appear silly to suburbanite non-hunters.

481DD940-D1B9-47A5-8512-FC2BCE9DFCC4.jpeg

50E06723-5949-42BD-B4CD-496CD0B95CBB.jpeg

RuffChaser
20 hours ago, Brad Eden said:

I’m hard into the Maine spring turkey hunting season. I look forward to it all winter, and especially so this year. The birds have been challenging.

Most people who scoff at wild turkey hunting have never experienced it. IMO.

And then there are friends who don’t hunt and send you photos like this. 3 mature Toms hanging out next to his house down in Cape Cod MA, in a no discharge/no hunting area. That’s keeping it real and humbling.

D4B1EE42-52C8-4EE3-A3CB-F5FD8EC185FA.jpeg

I'm sure every once in a while some of them get "hit by a car" and mysteriously have an arrowhead sized hole in them.