REGISTERING FOR MEMBERSHIP ON UPLAND JOURNAL Read more... ×
Bird Buster

Anyone Drive Ford Bronco Full Size?

Bird Buster

Just curious if anyone regularly hunts out of a Bronco? Have a chance to possibly pick one up cheap a 95 Eddie Bauer Model with low miles great shape. Would use it for just local stuff 2 guys and a couple dogs. How do you like it and show some pics of your set up in rear cargo area please.  I would probably remove rear seat for room if easy to do. Tks for feedback. I already have a full size truck for longer trips. 

Marc Ret

Had one, loved it.... I'd buy another if the price was right. I was big in to bow hunting when I had mine so no help on trying to accommodate kennels. With the rear bench seat folded and flipped forward there should be lots of room for dogs and gear though. 302 or 351?

Bird Buster

Mark it is the 302. Thanks for feedback. I think I would enjoy it. 

max2

Old & easy to work on . I loved my 95 F-250 . I gave it to a local kid who re-did some body parts and the thing looks awesome and is still on the road .95  IMO was a good year for ford trucks.

Tim Frazier

My dream hunting rig has always been a full size Bronco with the 300 straight 6 and a T18 4 speed and crank up windows.   I saw one like that for sale when I didn't have the funds many years ago.   I just can't imagine you'd be disappointed.  

25/06

Very good trucks, I had a 79 for 12 years. A friend of mine had a 96.

Both were very enjoyable to hunt out of.

The 79 was very reliable once the rolling venture carburetor and catalytic converters were removed.

I had a 95 f150 work truck same motor it was a 200,000 mile truck.

The full sized broncos turn on a Very tight turn radius for a full sized rig. Better than the k5 blazer and miles better than the ramcharger.

The End gates are VERY heavy but if you keep them oiled they are not too bad to open and shut. We used to hunt an small area then drive to the next small area

so you open the gate a lot.

You have to roll the glass down to open the end gate which is a draw back.

The one thing I really appreciated on the broncos is that you can hold a normal conversation at 60mph with both side windows open and the end gate window open.

I do not think you can do that with any modern vehicle especially the crew cab pickups.

If it was not rusty I would go for it.

Marc Ret
13 hours ago, Bird Buster said:

Mark it is the 302. Thanks for feedback. I think I would enjoy it. 

The 5.0 was a good engine, if a bit underpowered IMO. The only issue I had with mine in the 7 or 8 years I owned it was it developed an exhaust leak at the block/exhaust manifold right before I sold it. 

If you buy it, please post some pics. I'm already jealous.

Might be something in this thread from last year of value to you. The pic I posted in that thread was one I pulled off the net. If I didn't know better, I'd swear it was mine. Exactly the same, right down to the American Racing Outlaw II wheels and BFG tires I put on the one I had. 

Jakeismydog2

One of my co-workers grew up hunting in one. I think he would tell you its good for 2 guys to hunt out of terrible for 3.

WPG Gizmo

Had one it was a great vehicle and I hunted many years out of it then one winter I got hit by a driveway plow truck took out the whole passenger side that was a sad day.  I see a few driving around still today 

Samuel Hoggson

I had a '78.  351M.  Gosh I'd love to have it now........well, all spanking new.  Think you could stuff a small house in the back. 

OldSarge

1989 xlt 5.0, manual tranny. Loved this beast and wish I still had it. Took it everywhere and some places I shouldn’t have. Dog boxes fit behind the back seat. Take the seat out and there was lots of room for about anything including a cow elk I shot with my bow in the Cascades. 

2D29890F-3D20-4188-A82F-3E26525A5243.jpeg

gunsrus

Love the two doors , as Jakeismydog2 said , great for two people , tough for three . I have a the '99 Tahoe 2 door grousemobile and love it . rear hatch glass lifts up shelters rain and tailgate folds down for lunch . Two kennels SxS in rear and fold up seat holds another . More ground clearance than anything on the market today and excellent turning radius for Maine two tracks . Parts readily available .

Cons , gas mileage 14 and 18 . Who cares ? I bought it specifically as a hunting rig . Its a beast and I've put a ton into it and it will die with me . 

IMG_0723.JPG

Marc Ret
5 hours ago, gunsrus said:

Love the two doors , as Jakeismydog2 said , great for two people , tough for three . I have a the '99 Tahoe 2 door grousemobile and love it . rear hatch glass lifts up shelters rain and tailgate folds down for lunch . Two kennels SxS in rear and fold up seat holds another . More ground clearance than anything on the market today and excellent turning radius for Maine two tracks . Parts readily available .

Cons , gas mileage 14 and 18 . Who cares ? I bought it specifically as a hunting rig . Its a beast and I've put a ton into it and it will die with me . 

IMG_0723.JPG

Hey, old man, no one wants to hear about your POS Tahoe in this thread. Since you probably forgot what the topic is from the time you started reading it, I'll remind you... Ford Broncos. 

Get that driveway repaired. 

Jim Vander

Loved mine, was not a long ride vehicle though. Id have another if body was clean for local use. One of best parts of it was you could turn around on super tight quarters. Hard on fuel though. 

airmedic1

I’ve got a 96 Eddie Bauer with the 351M and an auto with overdrive.  It’s got an eight inch lift with 31”. I hunted pheasants out of it one weekend when my Frontier was broken and didn’t really like it. I put two wire crates in the back and that took up most of the room and it gets terrible gas mileage compared to my truck. I really noticed the lack of space when my buddy went with me one day. 
My buddy had a 83 with the 300 CID in-line and a four speed. It got good mileage and those 300’s are bomb proof.  It was the basic model with roll up windows and no carpet. I always thought it would be a good hunting rig but not with as many dogs as I have.