REGISTERING FOR MEMBERSHIP ON UPLAND JOURNAL Read more... ×
Brad Eden

ALL BS aside, how far have domestic trucks come?

terrym

Dealers don’t like to put trade ins on their own lot. Tuff to respond to a pizzzed customer when he sees his trade in on the lot for $$$ thousands more they gave him. Most used come from auctions. I don’t think they make “bad” trucks anymore. The Toyota’s retain value better but if you’re running them into the ground that doesn’t help much. True full sized trucks are hard not to like. I bet this newer GMC gets better milieage. Dealers also don’t want hassles so sell sound trucks only. 
Actually a buyers market right now. Nothing is moving and you’re a repeat customer even if it’s not a Toyota. These 2 trucks sound like lease returns, doubt they got traded in for a Toyota. Maybe, but not likely. 
By the way, my 2015 Ram 1500 is at 359,000 kilometres, I get 700kms on a fill up and it’s still very dependable. 

MoSpaniels

"All BS aside"??

I'm out

Mike da Carpenter

If it has a 5.3, first thing I’d do is put a Range device on it to remove the AFM (4 cylinder shut down) and install an E2 Catch Can.  have done both to prolong the life of the vehicle and prevent costly repairs down the road.  

My boys own a 2000 Chevy Z-71 w/ a 5.3 that runs amazing and burns/leaks no oil.  I have the same vehicle just a 2014 and it burns oil from day one.  All new GM’s do.  Actually all vehicles do, but you really notice it on Direct Injection engines.  There is no fuel flowing past the valve stems to keep the valves from getting getting coked up with crud.  

You would think a company that had been building engines for over 100 years could figure out how NOT to burn oil.

I get the same mileage with the V-4 mode turned off, and you would not believe the crap I keep from going back into my engine to get “burned” up by using the Catch Can (layman’s terms...oil/water separator Tied in-line from valve cover to PCV vent).

Seriously doubt I’ll buy another 5.3 after this one, which I hope gets me MUCH closer to retirement.

chilly460
12 minutes ago, Mike da Carpenter said:

My boys own a 2000 Chevy Z-71 w/ a 5.3 that runs amazing and burns/leaks no oil.  I have the same vehicle just a 2014 and it burns oil from day one.  All new GM’s do.  Actually all vehicles do, but you really notice it on Direct Injection engines.  There is no fuel flowing past the valve stems to keep the valves from getting getting coked up with crud.  

You would think a company that had been building engines for over 100 years could figure out how NOT to burn oil.

Issue stems from low tension rings that manufacturers are using to help with fuel consumption requirements.

Brad Eden
3 hours ago, Dogwood said:

I'm curious as to why you are even considering anything but a Toyota?

Price...and...Seeing a lot more low mileage used domestic brand trucks on the market Than Tundras...maybe that should be telling me something. 

Speaks

There are positive and negative to both. You get more for your money right now on the american trucks, look at any 10 years old and ignoring anything mechanical fit and finish inside looks like a 10 year old truck. Inside my tundra you would never know it was an 08 except for no blue tooth. 

Mechanically I am not qualified to answer but my tundra is 12 years old with nearly 200k on it and never did much more than scheduled maintenance. Both my F150 and Sierra were on their last legs at that mileage (though to be fair they were a different generation of truck). If I traded every few years I could see getting a Ford or Chevy again but if I was going to run it as long as possible I would go Toyota. 

After all that though, I dont know we are talking massive differences. 

Also if your guy says toyota and you compromise, everything that goes wrong will tick you off. 

River19

Brad....."far".

You all know if I had to choose I am a Toyota guy more often than not....2 of 3 vehicles are Toyota products and my 1 Gen Tundra got to 260K in 18 years and was running like a top when we sold it last year.

That being said....I also have a 2014 Ram 2500 6.4L Hemi Laramie Longhorn......I have had it for 5 years, going in I was worried about their reputation at the time historically and purchased an 8yr 96K extended warranty but Toyota didn't make a rig in that class and I was getting out of my Ford diesel......this Ram has been a real nice rig.  Oil and Gas so far.  A few recalls, the dealer takes care of them and I go on my merry way.

About to make my last payment on that rig, 49K miles, runs like new.  When clean, looks like new as well.  I wouldn't hesitate to buy either of the "Big 3" with some research.

406dn

Not apples to apples, but my 05 Chevy K3500 Duramax and 2017 Chevey K3500 Duramax are everything I hoped they would be.

The 05 has 270k miles on it. It has been a very reliable rig,, that if I did not have the17,,,I'd take it on a long road trip any day of the week.

The 2017 is light years ahead of the 05. It is a towing machine. Very quiet, very good ride for a one ton truck. I fully expect it to take me across the finish line.

blanked

Chevy has a reputation for the best ride.   The downside they also have a reputation for falling apart if you drive off road frequently. Can’t have your cake and eat it too.

dogrunner

I've had 14- F150s since 1995 and only 1 that was a piece of chit it was the 97, new body style, I sold it pretty quick.   My new 19 with the 10 speed trans is Sweet. 

blanked
2 minutes ago, dogrunner said:

I've had 14- F150s since 1995 and only 1 that was a piece of chit it was the 97, new body style, I sold it pretty quick.   My new 19 with the 10 speed trans is Sweet. 

how many miles do you get out of them

IMO you can’t judge good if you don’t have it at least 150,000 miles

GlennW

Ford,Ram,GMC,Chevy they are all good these days.I owned a Dodge 3/4 ton in 1986 and swore I would never own another one,the truck was good but the ride was terrible! Scroll forward to 2013 and I was looking for another truck,I drove them all Ford,GMC,Chevy,then on a whim pulled into the Dodge dealership to drive the new Ram,I had read the reviews and it had won Truck of the year from several publications.I bought the Ram,it was just nicer all the way around,plenty of power,quiet ride and good gas mileage,and I got the Ram boxes which I love.It has 120,000 miles on it now and I have only had to do regular maintenance,it does not leak a drop or use a drop of oil so far.I have been pleased and would not hesitate to buy another Ram.I have two friends that were Ford men who now drive a Ram after riding in mine,they have had no problems either.I think you probably see way more used domestic brands than Toyotas because there are so many more domestic trucks sold every year than Toyotas so there is a much larger pool of domestic trucks out there.I would think there are a hundred Ford,Chevys,and Ram Trucks hooked to trailers pulling for every Toyota you will see.

Glenn

Jim Vander

Fwiw my brother has a loaded 2017  Coloroda , its been in the shop a fair bit, twice on road trips,  but dealer has been good about it. 

Dogwood
3 hours ago, Brad Eden said:

Seeing a lot more low mileage used domestic brand trucks on the market Than Tundras...maybe that should be telling me something. 

Yes it's telling you that in 2019 the Big 3 trucks outsold Tundras roughly 6:1, 8:1, and 9:1 (Ram, GM, Ford respectively). 

Flush

They have come a long long way from what a mid eighties Ranger would be. Really far.

Here is my take on Domestic trucks vs Toyota. Some of the Domestics are extremely reliable and long lived, however sometimes (often newish model redesigns) there are issues.

With Toyota it's more of a guarantee reliability will be there. The downside to Toyota's approach is they don't come out with new technology and features all the time. If you compare on features, fuel economy, new gadgets, etc... Toyota will usually lose out. Different people prioritize different things and buy accordingly.

I honestly don't know about the reliability of the 2017 vintage GM trucks. I hear of issues with the transmissions and the AFM systems, but I don't know how serious and widespread these issues are and I would need to do more research. I do know "issues" can get blown out of proportion on the interwebs. Buying quite new domestic vehicles, if they are new designs, can be tricky because they don't have a long enough track record to really know.

For me rust isn't a major issue so for various reasons I tend to buy a bit older Domestics that have a very proven track record. I drive an 04 Suburban with the pre-AFM 5.3L and a 00 F250 with a 7.3 diesel. Both of these are known to be  very reliable rigs with reliable drivetrains, and for me they have been (knock on wood). I am a Toyota fan, have owned quite a few. My wife and several close friends worked for Toyota corporate. Toyota R+D is a customer of my current company. I like Toyota a lot but unless I buy new I tend to go Domestic because the used prices for Toyota especially here in CO tend to be insanely high. Despite owning domestics I do think Toyota's are a bit more reliable but generally the gap is not huge and the differences in used prices tend to not be justified, at least to me. But again I research heavily what Domestic I'm buying first.