REGISTERING FOR MEMBERSHIP ON UPLAND JOURNAL Read more... ×
GLS

Glad it's over

GLS

At my age, the Georgia season is all I can take.  I'm not one of those that can follow the seasons up the coast as they open nor do I want to.   This season, the most days I went back to back were 4.  By the end of the 4th day I barely knew my own name much less my wife's.  I cut back to two to three days in a row.  Season was okay with two birds early, and I found a few more throughout the season that had been chased by fellow social distancers not working during lockdowns.  This was my 44th season; I am one of those categorized by Tom Kelly as one who hunts turkeys not because he wants to, but because I feel I have no other choice.   I've been depressurizing slowly since the last day in the woods Friday.  I unloaded most of my gear from the 4Runner but haven't put stuff away.  I've washed clothes.  Yesterday I took my bike to explore a newly found area that a buddy took one bird Thursday while hearing two more.  I was more intrigued with what he described as sounding like woodcock habitat for 7 months away and counting.  After looking at it, it may do.  'Bout got the GI system regulated to indoors service rather than like that of a bird dog being let out of the truck in the woods and immediately going into a kennel point.  Big expense this season was as always, gas for the truck.  Next big expense was coffee, 3.5 lbs.; then 2 handloaded TSS shells, 7/8 oz. for my .410, a whopping $3@.  How can one be such an extravagant spendthrift?  Next in line was 1 roll of Charmin Mega, 6 regular rolls in 1.   That is one luxury I can't nor won't do without.  Sleep, again. Ahhhhh.  Gil

WAGinVA

I hear you Gil, this was my 42nd spring season.  I was fortunate to tag out the end of our fourth week of a five week season.  I felt the relief for about 36 hours and then started a period of mourning until the season expired yesterday, keeping up with friends who were still hunting.  Unloaded my car and put my gear up yesterday, just started a load of laundry.. Sure hope I make it for "one more time".

bruski

And mine is just beginning.

Bird season opens next Sat. and I have two new guns to try.

Got a O/U Yildiz in 410 as well.

What more can a person want?

Glad to hear you had a productive and safe season.

Cheers B.

canvasback

He emerges from the woods! Glad to have you back, Gil.

44 straight seasons...that's an enviable record. I don't think I've gone 10 straight seasons hunting for anything. Every decade or so, life has gotten seriously in the way. Doesn't help that I have lived all of my life in places that have shorter seasons than what you are used to. Duck hunting in Manitoba? Starts around the end of the first week in September and is over when the ice freezes (doesn't matter what the regs say....when the ducks leave, it's over). Sometimes that stretches into mid November but I've also had to back it in October 20. That's not a real long season. LOL

GLS

James, spring gobbler season is March 21 through May 15th.  The variable is opening date which is the 3rd Saturday in March.  Gil

tut
2 hours ago, GLS said:

James, spring gobbler season is March 21 through May 15th.  The variable is opening date which is the 3rd Saturday in March.  Gil

That's a very long season.  I can see why the birds probably get really shy after being hunted that hard.   Ours is the second Saturday in April (normally) and closes the second Sat in May.  Generally we get 5 weeks counting youth weekend which seems like plenty to me.  I'm always glad and not glad its over.  I think I started hunting them rather seriously in 1995 when I lived in Texas.  Been hunting them ever since except when I was overseas.  They are my favorite big game critter to hunt hands down. 

mister grouse

This was 51 st season of spring woods for me.  I wrote a  post containing a history of sorts, but deleted the draft  because it would be way too boring to most of you, and I gather many here  are somewhat new to the spring game.  

Suffice it to say I m Self Taught.  Many many season and many many states and many consecutive days and many dead turkeys.. Too many of all of it.

Beyond addiction, obsession, and am irretrievable .    I regret I did this to my wife, and am lucky to still have her .  If you are young man , don't take  up turkey hunting. If you only toe deep in to it, there  may be an exit  to sanity.  If you are a older fellow take up alcohol; or more alcohol..  But not spring  turkeys.

mccuha

I just hunt our property for turkey.  I’m surrounded by thousands of acres of usnf land but I only hunt our property.  Under normal circumstances I have more than enough land and birds to chase.  I don’t care to stretch the season out. I’m generally limited by the first week of the season.  Then I start crappie and bream fishing.  Last season was the worst I’d ever experienced, well this season topped that.  I called in a couple birds the first week and never fired a shot.  I’d decided to not take any birds this year due to our low population.  I’m glad it’s over now I can get the depressing no.s out of my mind 

Brad Eden

I’m admittedly worn down. What is it the 17th? Been at it since the 4th. Maine season goes til the 6th of June. I only have 25 years of Spring turkey hunting under my belt. Would have been a lot more but I had to wait for the reintroduction and start of a Maine turkey hunting season. I’ve done more early fly down hunts this Spring than the last few years. That’s because my usual turkey hunting buddy is working from his Maine home rather than his NH home and has a lot more time, is younger and seems to prefer early ass mornings. Also we have been trying to get a mutual friend on his first ever turkey, and we have failed so far. Good thing is I live in good turkey country so can roll out of bed at 4am and be at a listening spot in 1/2 hr to 45 minutes. That’s if I have coffee ready to go and my clothes all set out etc. But I have also hunted later in mornings and even afternoons too. I’m more  successful as a solo hunter or a cat rather than a canine. That proved true again this season and I’ve already taken my limit of two good gobblers while sneaking about by myself. But my buddy still hasn’t tagged a turkey (Passed on a couple Jakes) nor has my wife JoAnn so I’m still after them. Plus the UJ Travel Box Call just arrived. So I need to try that sweet sounding call out and try and use it to try and call in a turkey or two for others. I’m a bit obsessed and have a hard time letting down and not hunting if any given season is open, even at 62 years old. That’s made harder or better depending on your outlook, because of where and how I live. My bum knee has held up, even after a scheduled Cortisone shot was cancelled pre season cuz of the Covid, and my tendinitis ridden right foot, although a pain in the foot hasn’t held me back too much. I’ve managed not to sh*t my pants and coveralls which is good. I’m on turkey time, and now go to bed at 8:30pm and wake up without an alarm clock at 4:00am, even if I’m not getting up to go fly down turkey hunting. When I get discouraged or real tired I just think to myself I need to keep doing this stuff while I can. I’m just not ready to be a turkey hunting fuddy duddy and talk and write about it more than actually doing it.

mister grouse

Brad, at one  point in the Tn season this year when I had hunted every day of season and killed some birds but had not heard a single gobble on the ground (except for a couple of daily LB gobbling once or twice immediately after fly down) in NINETY hours of woods time I just about concluded that a non hunting  "turkey hunting fuddy duddy" might be a fairly nice status.  But did I quit?  Heck no, just got more determined.  It is  sickness. 

GLS
4 hours ago, tut said:

That's a very long season.  I can see why the birds probably get really shy after being hunted that hard.   Ours is the second Saturday in April (normally) and closes the second Sat in May.  Generally we get 5 weeks counting youth weekend which seems like plenty to me.  I'm always glad and not glad its over.  I think I started hunting them rather seriously in 1995 when I lived in Texas.  Been hunting them ever since except when I was overseas.  They are my favorite big game critter to hunt hands down. 

This year was an anomaly from the standpoint of pressure.  Typically, the weekend warriors abandon turkey hunting the last 2-3 weeks of the season which relieves the pressure on the birds and they become vocal and easier to kill.  Not so this year.   While pressure began to taper off, it was not as relieved as it had been in seasons past.

Shutmouth gobblers will toss their vows of silence and gobble through June.  I hear them when fishing the blackwater rivers post season.  Gil

Brad Eden

First bird, first week, wouldn’t shut up. Second bird, second week, never let out a peep. Two totally different hunts. I’ll take a gobbling bird any day. It will be interesting to see if they get vocal again this week. 

tut
3 hours ago, Brad Eden said:

First bird, first week, wouldn’t shut up. Second bird, second week, never let out a peep. Two totally different hunts. I’ll take a gobbling bird any day. It will be interesting to see if they get vocal again this week. 

There's an old saying that someone came up with, and I think it is "You hunt the Gobble".  If I could only kill birds by deer hunting them, I'd probably only hunt a few times a year.  There is nothing more exciting then hearing that first gobble of the morning and knowing you have a decent chance, because there is no doubt that bird is there.  I've killed a lot of silent birds in my life, but I don't get near the thrill out of it.  Its almost like when you are in a deer stand and you hear bucks grunting and heading your way.  There's just an excitement associated with a critter broadcasting itself loud and deep at the top of his lungs.   My local gunsmith who is a turkey hunting fool, told me the only thing that compares to gobbler hunting is bugling in a Elk who comes in hot and bothered trying to find that lady elk talking sweet talk to him on the side of a mountain somewhere in the Rockies.

mccuha
58 minutes ago, tut said:

There's an old saying that someone came up with, and I think it is "You hunt the Gobble".  If I could only kill birds by deer hunting them, I'd probably only hunt a few times a year.  There is nothing more exciting then hearing that first gobble of the morning and knowing you have a decent chance, because there is no doubt that bird is there.  I've killed a lot of silent birds in my life, but I don't get near the thrill out of it.  Its almost like when you are in a deer stand and you hear bucks grunting and heading your way.  There's just an excitement associated with a critter broadcasting itself loud and deep at the top of his lungs.   My local gunsmith who is a turkey hunting fool, told me the only thing that compares to gobbler hunting is bugling in a Elk who comes in hot and bothered trying to find that lady elk talking sweet talk to him on the side of a mountain somewhere in the Rockies.

I love the gobble as well but. When you can feel that drumming. Well now, there’s nothing like it.   

Alaskan Swamp Collie

The way you guys talk makes me think it's good that I live where there are no turkeys. Sounds like something I could succumb to. I seem to have an addictive personality, taking pheasant hunting to the extreme, fortunately my wife enjoys it as much as I do so we can spend the time together. My King salmon fishing addiction when the fishing was great was enough to get a threatened divorce every year. She could never see how I could go 36 hours without sleep just to catch a fish I let go. Might have to try turkey hunting some time, heck I can learn something new to annoy the wife.