REGISTERING FOR MEMBERSHIP ON UPLAND JOURNAL Read more... ×
Sheldrake

New England Setters

Sheldrake

Friend of mine from the Cape is looking for a Lewellin puppy, or even better, a started dog that will be ready to hunt this Fall.

Any suggestions on who he might contact in the New England area?

Thanks

Ol'Forester

The last 3 setters I've had were not Lews. They were very heavy in Long Gone Kennels blood which is located in New Hampshire. They are Grouse field trial dogs and I have liked them very, very much.

Jazz4Brazo

I'd be curious what kennel as Long Gone's website is frankly terrible...always hear great things about their dogs and living in NH they are in my backyard but I am not a trailer so don't have trailer connections unless I want to chase down the Clown...

J4B 

Ol'Forester

Ugh? Over the years I have followed LG breeding postings on their website and then contacted the *itches owners for puppy availability. I have never dealt with the LG itself. I think their website is fine and informative.

ESetterSage

I have one of his dogs wouldn't get another unless I was going to trial it , I want a foot hunting dog.

SLR

Sheldrake, you can find the breeding info with respect to Long Gone dogs at this part of Lloyd's web site: http://longgonesetters.org/setters/index.php?board=1.0

My best grouse dogs were mainly long gone blood. They were the easiest to train, but they do need work on handling to keep them within acceptable range.

atticus

My llewellins are from Little River Kennels in Alton NH.  I don't know if George has any puppies now, but its worth reaching out to him.  Great dogs in the field and in the house.

https://www.littleriverkennelsnh.com/

Sheldrake

Thanks everyone for your replies. I will pass the information along.

bgreen

Not Llewelin or New England, but Grouse Ridge Kennels in Oxford, NY is a reputable cover dog type setter kennel. I had a dog out of Grouse Ridge Reroy and she was a good bird dog and a good dog in the house too. 

http://www.grouseridgesetters.com/

Jazz4Brazo

Curious...anyone here have a DeCoverly setter? 

Sheldrake
10 hours ago, bgreen said:

Not Llewelin or New England, but Grouse Ridge Kennels in Oxford, NY is a reputable cover dog type setter kennel. I had a dog out of Grouse Ridge Reroy and she was a good bird dog and a good dog in the house too. 

http://www.grouseridgesetters.com/

Thanks bgreen. Will pass it along.

cwheeler

I don't think it's fair to beat up on Long Gone setters or anyone's kennel for that matter..... Lloyd has produced some fantastic bird dogs.  Obviously, some breedings produce better than others, but that is across the board.  If you bought a trial bred dog and were wanting a 40 yard dog, that "failure" is on you for not doing your homework! 

ESetterSage

😁

Jazz4Brazo
1 hour ago, cwheeler said:

I don't think it's fair to beat up on Long Gone setters or anyone's kennel for that matter..... Lloyd has produced some fantastic bird dogs.  Obviously, some breedings produce better than others, but that is across the board.  If you bought a trial bred dog and were wanting a 40 yard dog, that "failure" is on you for not doing your homework! 

I didn't see anyone here beating up on any kennel..in fact what read showed an understanding that it was on the handler to train the dog to run at acceptable distances for the handler's needs...all seems positive to me and everyone offering suggestions for kennels with high reputations and personal experiences...unless Brad has already fired up his postholer and I missed it the excitement 😱😄😄

J4B 

salmontogue

Why not look at this from a different perspective?  The relationship between hunter and dog is much like a marriage.  There are many variables that, summed up, are a list of traits and preferences across a wide spectrum.  One constant is that my dog is always better than yours.  Just wanted to establish that as fact.  Also, Parkers are far better than Foxes and in modern doubles B. Rizzini rocks.

We make our preferences based on our own facts, some accurate and some leaky.

Perk