REGISTERING FOR MEMBERSHIP ON UPLAND JOURNAL Read more... ×
Sheldrake

New England Setters

bntsetter

If I was looking for a started Setter or Pointer the first place I would start would be trials.  Many people may be wavering on a trial dog for any one of a number of reasons that may actually be of preference for the hunter.  Going to a trial and asking around would be advisable,  Not to mention you would potentially get to see any breeding stock dogs and kennels to see if they are the type of dog you would like.  While there have not been many trails this spring there is one scheduled for June 6-7th in RI.  RI Spring trial If your friend is unable to do that asking over at the coverdog website might be a good place to start or the Setter Club of New England Facebook page.

Sheldrake
22 minutes ago, bntsetter said:

If I was looking for a started Setter or Pointer the first place I would start would be trials.  Many people may be wavering on a trial dog for any one of a number of reasons that may actually be of preference for the hunter.  Going to a trial and asking around would be advisable,  Not to mention you would potentially get to see any breeding stock dogs and kennels to see if they are the type of dog you would like.  While there have not been many trails this spring there is one scheduled for June 6-7th in RI.  RI Spring trial If your friend is unable to do that asking over at the coverdog website might be a good place to start or the Setter Club of New England Facebook page.

Good suggestions. Will pass these along too.

Thanks

Ol'Forester

Also, there are some videos on Bird Dogs Afield featuring LG Kennels with Lloyd Murray and HOF handler Dave Hughes.

Yeah my setters can range 300-400 yards on the prairie usually more like 250-300 and in,  but they always want to be in contact with me and are easy to handle. I have also hunted them on desert quail, farm country bobwhites and north woods grouse. My current one out of LG Boston will range up to 140 yards in the grouse woods, almost always in bell range. I also use an alpha and he is dead broke. They are fun to watch.

paul s
On 5/20/2020 at 10:11 PM, bgreen said:

Not Llewelin or New England, but Grouse Ridge Kennels in Oxford, NY is a reputable cover dog type setter kennel. I had a dog out of Grouse Ridge Reroy and she was a good bird dog and a good dog in the house too. 

http://www.grouseridgesetters.com/

I have a good friend who has a female out of grouse ridge, she is a dog with tons of style both pointing and running. She is also the sweetest dog to have around. Absolutely wonderful dog!

2EC2FA99-82DB-4CC7-931C-B0D09BFEA3FB.jpeg

Ol'Forester

The dog of my lifetime (so far) was by LG Nixon and he was by GR Reroy. Tough as nails, fast and quick, good heat tolerance, stylish. He was a very exciting dog for me to watch 

Brad Eden

CDCC1944-F72A-45FA-98DC-510DC0CC14FD.jpeg

I don’t typically allow the “free marketing” of dogs on the Forums, (Contributing Members can market and advertise and sell puppies and dogs on the Swap & Trade sub-forum) and I typically jump in immediately and ask that Members use the very robust Message system to communicate their suggestions. Been busy....What? On an Upland Board Brad!!!! I’ve gotten my arse reamed, and have been threatened legally by breeders that were “critiqued” on this public Forum/Board. Not interested in that exercise. Please remember that when looking for advice on puppies and dogs. Use the Message system. Thank you.

Brad Eden

Reopened because of some feedback I received. I meant what I said prior. In the past I’ve have been harassed and threatened and told to remove Posts by breeders who were bashed on this public forum. I don’t have the resources to deal with that. With that said, please use the Message system if you have serious reservations about a particular Breeder and their dogs. 

bgreen
On 5/23/2020 at 8:17 AM, paul s said:

I have a good friend who has a female out of grouse ridge, she is a dog with tons of style both pointing and running. She is also the sweetest dog to have around. Absolutely wonderful dog!

2EC2FA99-82DB-4CC7-931C-B0D09BFEA3FB.jpeg

I think I saw that dog run and win a trial in Maine last year. Impressive dog. 

paul s
10 hours ago, bgreen said:

I think I saw that dog run and win a trial in Maine last year. Impressive dog. 

Yes you did

tut

PM Sent. 

terrym

My female Setter has some LG in her bloodline. She’s like a lap dog at home and craves affection. Dog has no aggression except for squirrels.  She’s all business when she hits the woods though. She ranges a bit further than I need here in Ontario though. If I buy another I will look for a closer working bloodline. Not a criticism on big runners, I just think I don’t really need that. YMMV. 

bgreen
3 hours ago, paul s said:

Yes you did

Obviously, the dog had to be stellar to win the shooting dog stake, but equally impressive was it’s off switch. The owner had a station wagon with the hatch open. When the dog wasn’t running in the trial it stayed in the back of the car on its bed all day long without being reminded to stay put. 

Do you know the breeding on that dog? 

Don Steese
On 5/19/2020 at 6:13 PM, Jazz4Brazo said:

unless I want to chase down the Clown...

J4B 

If you do tell him hello for me!