REGISTERING FOR MEMBERSHIP ON UPLAND JOURNAL Read more... ×
WPG Gizmo

Prayers to those in Michigan flood

WPG Gizmo

2 dams failed and a 500 year flood hope no one is affected from UJ

Natty Bumpo

This catastrophe happened down around Midland in the middle of the state. We heard that 10K homes had to be evacuated but did not hear of any fatalities yet, TG. Some parts of the town were under 10' of water. A disaster within a pandemic.  A bridge on US 10 in that area was destroyed.  :(

Word is that this was a "500 year storm" at that site..

rich223

Hope everyone makes it out ok. We were forecasted to get that rain this Monday with possible flooding but at the last minute a high pressure moved in and blew it back over MI. and all we got is light rain.

D. Case

I have property and family living just beyond the flood zone of the Tittabawassee river.   All are safe, property ok. Many, many others not so.  Good friends and employees evacuated or stranded in their homes.  My normal 10 mile commute was 76 miles this morning to get to work  over a bridge and  around flooding.

Lurch

I've heard "multiple dams" but the news stories  only seem to mention Midland. Were they all connected - ie one dam went that took out another, or are they in mutliple different areas?

sorry for everyone who has to deal with this on top of everything else going on, especially in MI. 

Spin1
22 minutes ago, Lurch said:

I've heard "multiple dams" but the news stories  only seem to mention Midland. Were they all connected - ie one dam went that took out another, or are they in mutliple different areas?

sorry for everyone who has to deal with this on top of everything else going on, especially in MI. 

Yes, it was a domino effect. My wife is working from home but some off her friends from work were evacuated. It is North of us a little bit.

Lurch

Thanks for the info, Spin. Glad you all are safe.

Only time I was in the area was playing bball in the Juco National Tourney in Bay City and I don't recall much high ground to be had anywhere in the area.

Irishwhistler

Prayers for all involved.

Irishwhistler ☘️🇮🇪🇺🇸

Mike da Carpenter

The news reported A small town, to the North East of the dam failures, recorded 8.1” of rain in a 24 hour period.  The town I take the boys sucker fishing every spring (Omer, MI) was completely under water.  This is just a few miles from where the 8.1” of rain was recorded.  Truly sad to be hearing the stories coming out of the people in the area.  

One of my coworkers has a vacation home just North of Omer and he received pictures from a neighbor that he showed us.  Words cannot describe how he is feeling, especially now that he cannot even get to his place because of the flooding and current stay at home order.

Irishwhistler
4 minutes ago, Mike da Carpenter said:

The news reported A small town, to the North East of the dam failures, recorded 8.1” of rain in a 24 hour period.  The town I take the boys sucker fishing every spring (Omer, MI) was completely under water.  This is just a few miles from where the 8.1” of rain was recorded.  Truly sad to be hearing the stories coming out of the people in the area.  

One of my coworkers has a vacation home just North of Omer and he received pictures from a neighbor that he showed us.  Words cannot describe how he is feeling, especially now that he cannot even get to his place because of the flooding and current stay at home order.

Aye Mike,

I have been thinking of you and your family since hearing the news on the flood.  Glad to know you are all safe.

Best Regards,

Mike ☘️🇮🇪🇺🇸

Mike da Carpenter
7 minutes ago, Irishwhistler said:

Aye Mike,

I have been thinking of you and your family since hearing the news on the flood.  Glad to know you are all safe.

Best Regards,

Mike ☘️🇮🇪🇺🇸

Thank you Mike.  We appreciate that.  We only received 2” (hard to believe I can say ONLY 2”) that day and our back yard is now underwater.  It has been helped by the family of beavers that moved in last year before the historic rain we received last spring.  

Where I live, the surrounding area used to be rural, but has turned into a thriving metropolis in the past 10-12 years (people ran from the cities when home and property values were close to 1/2 price).  And with that, they brought the city mentality with them.  Most had never in their lives seen a beaver, so to get a glimpse of one was a highlight of their life...and it should be.  But, like all animals, they need to be controlled.  Well, not anymore.  They are too cute to be controlled, so with that, we are all graced with waterfront property.  I could go on and on, but I won’t.  For now, my home is safe and others have lost everything.  So in the grand scheme, a family or two of beavers is small potatoes, but we are one BIG rain storm away from HUGE problems. 

Irishwhistler
30 minutes ago, Mike da Carpenter said:

Thank you Mike.  We appreciate that.  We only received 2” (hard to believe I can say ONLY 2”) that day and our back yard is now underwater.  It has been helped by the family of beavers that moved in last year before the historic rain we received last spring.  

Where I live, the surrounding area used to be rural, but has turned into a thriving metropolis in the past 10-12 years (people ran from the cities when home and property values were close to 1/2 price).  And with that, they brought the city mentality with them.  Most had never in their lives seen a beaver, so to get a glimpse of one was a highlight of their life...and it should be.  But, like all animals, they need to be controlled.  Well, not anymore.  They are too cute to be controlled, so with that, we are all graced with waterfront property.  I could go on and on, but I won’t.  For now, my home is safe and others have lost everything.  So in the grand scheme, a family or two of beavers is small potatoes, but we are one BIG rain storm away from HUGE problems. 

Mike,

Prayer's out that the rain backs off for all of you in Michigan.

Mike ☘️🇮🇪🇺🇸

Mike da Carpenter

Just took these photos to show you my now waterfront property.  Of course, Levi is always ready to photobomb every camera he sees.

AF470985-2E16-40D4-94B4-C448E28912F5.thumb.jpeg.0293ea30ddad4a77b05ef8e11c4dee15.jpeg

E26B8C17-4AFD-4ED0-AB3C-D07A8480E878.thumb.jpeg.ab4826b880f2e2ac9b193b1bd23dd488.jpeg

dogrunner

Bad thing is we got more rain coming and we don’t need anymore for a few weeks.