REGISTERING FOR MEMBERSHIP ON UPLAND JOURNAL Read more... ×
tmoneysju

Cockers

Walt

Dogwood, I've been raising, training and breeding Field Bred English Cockers for 20 plus years now and have never had a neurotic one.  My dogs are all great house dogs that dually function as hunting and competitive field trial dogs.  If you find the right dog from the right breeder, there will be no neurotic behavior.  I've sold many a pup to non hunters and hunters alike and every single pup I've sold has had rave reviews by their owners.  It's like with any breed, you've got to find the right breeder who breeds for temperament and drive both.  My dogs must have a great on and off switch since they all live in the house with me.  As with all dogs though they need to be trained.

Dongotto

1207190746a.thumb.jpg.78dd93791e5c149f84efae4420e63ea9.jpg

On 5/22/2020 at 1:27 PM, tmoneysju said:

UJ fam, my sister is interested in a cocker puppy and I don't really know anything about the breed other than they seem cool to me too. I'm beginning to research them and any help at shortening that time would be appreciated. It'd be a family pet, they have a young family, are very active outdoors, have a lot of space and own a golden currently.

I'm interested in helping them find reputable breeders and focused on a healthy, good family member.

*edit, goes without saying but I'll be doing a lot of reading of past threads too

We have 3 field bred English cockers and have enjoyed them a ton. All three of them are being trained and used as field dogs. Our two males live outside in a kennel and our female lives in the house. She has a ton of Drive and is very high energy when she is being worked or in the field but you wouldn't necessarily know that most of the time in the house. She's very sweet if not timid in the house. She turns in to a fire-breathing go go-getter in the field however. My wife as well as my two teenage Sons absolutely love the cockers. Best of luck and helping her find a dog.

0717191806.jpg

Dogwood
3 hours ago, Walt said:

Dogwood, I've been raising, training and breeding Field Bred English Cockers for 20 plus years now and have never had a neurotic one.  My dogs are all great house dogs that dually function as hunting and competitive field trial dogs.  If you find the right dog from the right breeder, there will be no neurotic behavior.  I've sold many a pup to non hunters and hunters alike and every single pup I've sold has had rave reviews by their owners.  It's like with any breed, you've got to find the right breeder who breeds for temperament and drive both.  My dogs must have a great on and off switch since they all live in the house with me.  As with all dogs though they need to be trained.

Most excellent and I don't doubt it for a minute.  There are ALWAYS exceptions.  On the whole however I stand by what I stated with regards to the OP's priorities for a given dog.  I love FBEC's and I'll have another at some point. And a Springer.  Oh and a Britt. GSP too.  Another Setter maybe.  

Workin' on it . . . 

browndrake

I am a draht man, but we got a pup from Trish and I love it.  I love to watch my draht work, but our little American cocker is a joy to watch. He loves birds  he loves to retrieve, he loves to be with us. He is smart.  He bounces  all over the field while searching and covers ground well.  He is cooperative and responsive.  I have to change things up while training because he quickly will anticipate what I want him to do.

I have heard people say that American cockers aren't really bred for hunting any more.  That is surely not true of Trish 's dogs.

ThreeDogs
On 5/23/2020 at 4:43 AM, Dogwood said:

Forget the cockers.  Get one of these here instead. Cavalier King Charles Spaniel.

Tulip!

IMG_2410.JPG

My brother has shot a bunch of pheasants over his Cavalier spaniel. Little sucker is a machine...

Jakeismydog2
22 hours ago, ThreeDogs said:

My brother has shot a bunch of pheasants over his Cavalier spaniel. Little sucks is a machine...

I would love to see a video of that!