REGISTERING FOR MEMBERSHIP ON UPLAND JOURNAL Read more... ×
Sign in to follow this  
rudyc

Turkey Hunting and Fly Fishing in the Driftles Area Part 2

rudyc

Headed back to the Driftless earlier this week for another go at the birds and trout. Had a great time with both--

Really different hunting the birds this late in the season, warm weather and very little gobbling. Had to hunt travel areas more than rely on early birds off the roost.

The fishing was again outstanding. The trout at times were hitting dry flies, but most were taken with a Scud Nymph this trip.

Found a bonus set of sheds to add to the fun.

P5200007.JPG

P5220018.JPG

ResizedImage_1429926934176.jpg

ResizedImage_1429926963997.jpg

ResizedImage_1429927057982.jpg

Bluegill68

Rudy,

im very interested in your opinion on this year’s crowd, do you hunt public? This id only my second year there but i thought pressure was noticeably higher ? 

rudyc

Bluegill68

My partner and I have hunted the same three farms for the past 20 years. Two of them are next to each other and the third is about 1/2 mile down the road. No one else hunts the properties when we hunt them and one property has only the farmers son-in-law hunting it besides ourselves, so we are very lucky in that respect.

I have a few pals that hunt public in different parts of the state and they all say that pressure has been higher this year than years past. This year I hunted one day of the third season, one day of the fifth season and three days of the 6th season and heard a total of only three shots besides mine and my partners. I fished a total of 6 days and never heard a shot while fishing. Fishing pressure was higher.

Colt
Posted (edited)

Rudy did you call that trout in with those new mouth calls . That a beautiful brownie. How did the new mouths calls work on that long beard?
Colt

Edited by Colt

co_setter

Some of my fondest memories are turkey camp with some buddies on the Iowa portion of the driftless.  We used a wall tent with a wood stove for a cooking and eating area.  Our definition of a grand slam was a turkey, morels, trout and a walleye all in the same day.

rudyc

Colt,

Did not call in a single bird this year, all birds seen and the two I killed were via ambush. We've been hunting the area long enough to have sort of a good idea where the birds travel.  This year, I killed both of the birds while sitting up against the same tree as they walked by.

Not a "classic" turkey hunt, but any port in a storm.

Would have been nice to get into some Morels, but the landowner has asked us to leave them be.

Turkey hunt?? "sure any time" Fishing?? "sure any time" 

Deer hunting?? Morels??? NOPE---Don't even ask!!!!