REGISTERING FOR MEMBERSHIP ON UPLAND JOURNAL Read more... ×
rideold

16 ga turkey chokes?

rideold

For those of you that hunt turkey with a 16 what do you do for choke?  I'm considering getting a Franchi Instinct in 16 but can't seem to figure out if one can get a choke tighter than the factory supplied full.  Thoughts?  Advice?  I currently have a first gen Bobwhite with fixed ic/mod. 

WMassGriff

Call Briley.

WAGinVA

Or William at Sumtoy Customs.

rideold

Grand. Thanks. I did look through Briley's catalog but didn't see anything.

WMassGriff

Bet Briley can make what you want for a choke restriction. That's why I recommended them.

FlyChamps

Does it matter that much?

I've only turkey hunted once in my 71 years and killed one almost 50 years ago.  It was with a borrowed 16 gauge Winchester Model 37 single shot that was probably "full" choke (whatever that meant on a Model 37) and the ammunition was whatever was in the box in the "lodge", most likely 1 ounce of number 6 or 7.5 shot.  One shot, one turkey and I'll admit some luck since I'm not a great shot.

I shot that turkey on what was on the most wonderful 4,000 private acres that I had access to from 1971 until 1975 when it was donated to the US government.  It's no longer available for hunting because it is now the Pinckney Island Wildlife Refuge between the mainland of SC and Hilton Head Island.

lee sykes

😄   What is wrong with full choke?

Brad Eden

I do hunt wild turkeys a lot and have shot them with 20 gauge 2.75” high brass bird load 4’s with a factory XFull choke tube and even flying with a 28 gauge and 2.75” bird load 6’s with a Skt1 choke (fall birds of opportunity and I don’t make a habit out of it.) I now choose to have enough gun and choke and load for any circumstance. With that said, I would just go with the factory full choke. I googled and can’t seem to find any chokes tighter than full or any  3” turkey loads let alone 3” anything in 16 gauge. So any 1-1/8 ounce load of 2.75” 4’s or 5’s should get you patterned tight enough out to 25 yards maybe more since you will be shooting at the exposed head and neck.

tut

I think you are going to have a tough time finding anyone who will make a turkey choke in a 16 gauge.  Just not enough demand.  That said, I can't imagine you couldn't make a 40 yard gun out of the factory full if you shot the Apex 16 gauge shells.

https://apex-ammunition.myshopify.com/collections/frontpage/16-gauge

GLS

Sumtoy has made 16 ga. turkey chokes.

RDG

https://www.midwestgunworks.com/page/mgwi/prod/5125-xx

Franchi uses FAIRs technichokes in the 16G as FAIR actually makes the shotgun for Franchi. 

The chokes in the above link are actually made Trulock.... it’s printed right on the chokes. 

I’d start with them... it probably have to be a custom choke as they only sell them up to full..

rideold
On 5/27/2020 at 9:13 AM, RDG said:

Franchi uses FAIRs technichokes in the 16G as FAIR actually makes the shotgun for Franchi. 

Good to know.  I had no idea.