REGISTERING FOR MEMBERSHIP ON UPLAND JOURNAL Read more... ×
Dogwood

Piebald . . .

Dogwood

. . .  on the side of the road

9DA57A46-5F6C-4FDF-9684-9739A7008B75.jpeg

troutchops

We have a couple Smokey Grey Hens that visit our house from time to time, never a Smokey Jake or Tom. Cool picture. 

Lurch

Some would say my hair is piebald too. (I guess that's better than pre-bald?)

Cool - seen piebald deer but never turkey.

Irishwhistler

I shot a piebald whitetail 20 years ago.  Everybody was telling me it was lore that it would be 7 years of bad luck.  My buddies thought I had shot a goat when they saw it. 😂😂😂😂😂

Mikey ☘️🇮🇪🇺🇸

Brad Eden

Cool bird. I shot a piebald Doe with my bow early season In 2017. I then ended up shooting a nice 8 pt with bow (both in Expanded zone) and a rifle spike horn up at camp the same year. Maybe the bad luck doesn’t start til the next year, since I haven’t shot a deer with bow or a buck since, but last minute does with muzzleloader and rifle the last couple years.🤔

hobbes

I've seen some smoke phase hens here in MT. I saw one this season with a flock of birds in Western MT.  

My son killed a melanistic bird a few years ago with solid black primaries.

When I had my taxidermy shop in Illinois, I mounted two erythristic (red) phase gobblers for a guy a couple years apart.  Both were killed in Arkansas.

Jakeismydog2
7 hours ago, hobbes said:

I've seen some smoke phase hens here in MT. I saw one this season with a flock of birds in Western MT.  

My son killed a melanistic bird a few years ago with solid black primaries.

When I had my taxidermy shop in Illinois, I mounted two erythristic (red) phase gobblers for a guy a couple years apart.  Both were killed in Arkansas.

I googled erythristic... pretty unique looking turkey for sure

SelbyLowndes

I've seen white and piebald hens.  I once had a piebald buck in front of me for a few minutes.  The buck was a forkhorn and I passed him up.  I hope he grew up to be a trophy....SelbyLowndes

Fishnfowler

We had a melanistic hen show up here a few years back, she's had two hatches of poults that carry the trait.  There are a good number of them running around now, I'm kind of interested to see what happens this year.  Same with bearded hens.  We didn't have any until about 12 years ago when one showed up, now we have an abundance of them.

idcut

A few years back I saw some hens flocked up around my parents house that had the piebald characteristics. I haven't seen any for a few years...plenty of typical color phased birds still around but not sure why none with the piebald colorings.