Jump to content
REGISTERING FOR MEMBERSHIP ON UPLAND JOURNAL Read more... ×
Zkight89

20 Gauge Duck Load Reccomendations?

Recommended Posts

Zkight89
1 hour ago, quailguy said:

As it was explained to me by a warden in Kansas it is a violation if you have lead shells in your vest even though you’re hunting with non toxic shot. Like a  pocket for lead and one for steel. I’ve been told it may be a violation to even have lead shells in your truck if you are hunting waterfowl .  I asked what if I’m in Kansas and my truck is in PA. Smartazz was the answer. 
 

What I do is have a lead shot vest and a nontoxic vest.  Never do they share contents. 

 

 

 

 

Yet one more reason we've switched to all non toxic shot for hunting! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
mccuha
17 hours ago, quailguy said:

As it was explained to me by a warden in Kansas it is a violation if you have lead shells in your vest even though you’re hunting with non toxic shot. Like a  pocket for lead and one for steel. I’ve been told it may be a violation to even have lead shells in your truck if you are hunting waterfowl .  I asked what if I’m in Kansas and my truck is in PA. Smartazz was the answer. 
 

What I do is have a lead shot vest and a nontoxic vest.  Never do they share contents. 

 

 

 

 

I know first hand , atleast here in SC that it is a violation.  A friend of mine and I were duck hunting here in SC and a warden stopped and checked us. long story short. My friend had 1 lead shell in the bottom of his waterfowl bag from when he's went hunting crows a month or so earlier. Warden had him dump all his bag out and found that one shell. Don't remember the amount of the fine but it wasn't cheap.  Never have done it but know for a fact you cant have a waterfowl in your game bag and have a mix of lead and steel in the vest as well

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
quailguy
18 hours ago, Zkight89 said:

Yet one more reason we've switched to all non toxic shot for hunting! 

Individual choice is fine. 
Imho we as hunters need to insist that moves to ban lead shot must be based on scientific, validated studies. Not Based on PC, save the condors myths. 
There was plenty of indisputable evidence that at least dabbling ducks and Canada geese ingested lead shot. I was part of such a study in PA back in the Stone Age. 
I believe that not just because I want to continue to hunt with my Parkers. Any moves to regulate the taking of a public resource must be based upon science.  The alternative in today’s climate is not over harvest, but rather increasing numbers of feel good restrictions. Until we hunters are regulated out of hunting.  
 

Obviously I don’t care if anyone chooses to use steel and other non toxic shot. Your business.  Fine with me. Just don’t make that a policy applying to everything and everyone.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Zkight89
2 hours ago, quailguy said:

Individual choice is fine. 
Imho we as hunters need to insist that moves to ban lead shot must be based on scientific, validated studies. Not Based on PC, save the condors myths. 
There was plenty of indisputable evidence that at least dabbling ducks and Canada geese ingested lead shot. I was part of such a study in PA back in the Stone Age. 
I believe that not just because I want to continue to hunt with my Parkers. Any moves to regulate the taking of a public resource must be based upon science.  The alternative in today’s climate is not over harvest, but rather increasing numbers of feel good restrictions. Until we hunters are regulated out of hunting.  
 

Obviously I don’t care if anyone chooses to use steel and other non toxic shot. Your business.  Fine with me. Just don’t make that a policy applying to everything and everyone.  

I'm never one to push my beliefs on others. I just made the switch for simplicity because we do so much mixed bag hunting. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
jeff4mc

No lead anywhere on your person/possession when waterfowling in Nebraska also!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
jeff4mc

No lead anywhere on your person/possession when waterfowling in Nebraska also!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
airmedic1
On 6/14/2020 at 1:44 PM, quailguy said:

As it was explained to me by a warden in Kansas it is a violation if you have lead shells in your vest even though you’re hunting with non toxic shot. Like a  pocket for lead and one for steel. I’ve been told it may be a violation to even have lead shells in your truck if you are hunting waterfowl .  I asked what if I’m in Kansas and my truck is in PA. Smartazz was the answer. 
 

What I do is have a lead shot vest and a nontoxic vest.  Never do they share contents. 

If that is true about lead shot in the pickup there are a lot of guides and outfitters that are doing it incorrectly.  In Canada for example, we hunted ducks in the morning and Huns in the afternoon.  We had the upland guns and vests in the pickup in the morning and the duck guns and vests in the pickup in the afternoon.  I also have a "lead" vest and a "steel" vest for hunting upland birds on the WMA's but I have the "lead" vest in the pickup for when I go off the WMA.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
quailguy
48 minutes ago, airmedic1 said:

If that is true about lead shot in the pickup there are a lot of guides and outfitters that are doing it incorrectly.  In Canada for example, we hunted ducks in the morning and Huns in the afternoon.  We had the upland guns and vests in the pickup in the morning and the duck guns and vests in the pickup in the afternoon.  I also have a "lead" vest and a "steel" vest for hunting upland birds on the WMA's but I have the "lead" vest in the pickup for when I go off the WMA.

The rule ( cfr 20-21) makes it illegal to take waterfowl while “ possessing” lead shot. My guess is the warden thought if lead shot was in my truck while I was duck hunting I in fact “possessed” that lead shot. I think he was full of it.  I also “possessed” rifles and pistols but I did not have them with me. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×