REGISTERING FOR MEMBERSHIP ON UPLAND JOURNAL Read more... ×
Scar

Fermented Hot Sauce

Scar

My eldest daughter had a 102 fever on Monday and had to be tested for NCV.  Needless to say our entire household is quarantined pending her test results.  So I've been spending some time in the kitchen.  I made two batches of fresh salsa, am brining a chicken for the smoker and I tried my hand at my first fermented hot sauce.

I chopped two jalapenos, a carrot, half a white onion, a yellow bell pepper and layered them in a mason jar.  I stirred half a cup of non-iodide salt in enough water to fill the jar.  I weighed the veggies down with some glass marbles and filled the jar with the brine.  I set the jar in the back of our pantry and will bring it out in 15-20 days and drain off the brine, puree the veggies and add back some brine and vinegar to taste.

Here are some pictures of the veggie stack one without brine and one with.  I'll post some more when I finish the sauce.

hotsauce2.jpg

hotsauce1.jpg

Clueless1

Interesting.  Would be a fun thing for me to try as it seems the only thing that really grows great in my garden is the hottest stinking peppers I can imagine.  Even the jalapeno's end up so hot I can't eat them straight. 

GLS

In 2013 I grew 5 lbs. of Clemson Red habaneros and fermented them in 5 litre vat I use for sauerkraut making.  After it fermented, I stored it in a glass container in the fridge for over 5 years, aging it.  Not out of a plan, but sheer laziness.  A year ago March, when a former neighbor asked me if I had any of my homemade hot sauce , I bottled it.  I first ran the raw fermented sauce through a hand cranked food mill removing seeds and pulp which cut it back to about 2/3 volume.  To make it shelf stable without refrigeration, I cut it 60/40 with distilled vinegar.  The only additive was xanthan gum powder to thicken and keep it from settling out in the bottles.  It made 138 oz. which yielded about 25 bottles with leftover kept in a Mason jar.  I had a crop failure last year and the lazy streak hit me again and I haven't planted for them this year.  I haven't ruled out looking for some at the farmer's market or grocery store.  It's not bad sauce.  Gil

5 litre fermentation crock (1).jpg

finished hot sauce habanero.jpg

raw fermented hot sauce.jpg

bottled sauce (1).jpg

Brad Eden
19 hours ago, Scar said:

My eldest daughter had a 102 fever on Monday and had to be tested for NCV.  Needless to say our entire household is quarantined pending her test results. 

She’s likely OK. I had a temp close to 103 a couple weeks ago, I knew it was from an imbedded tick bite (This has happened before) Doxy pretty much kicked it out, but I got a Covid test anyhow and it was negative. Good luck and keep cooking.

Allen McCallie
20 hours ago, Scar said:

My eldest daughter had a 102 fever on Monday and had to be tested for NCV.  Needless to say our entire household is quarantined pending her test results.  So I've been spending some time in the kitchen.  I made two batches of fresh salsa, am brining a chicken for the smoker and I tried my hand at my first fermented hot sauce.

I chopped two jalapenos, a carrot, half a white onion, a yellow bell pepper and layered them in a mason jar.  I stirred half a cup of non-iodide salt in enough water to fill the jar.  I weighed the veggies down with some glass marbles and filled the jar with the brine.  I set the jar in the back of our pantry and will bring it out in 15-20 days and drain off the brine, puree the veggies and add back some brine and vinegar to taste.

Here are some pictures of the veggie stack one without brine and one with.  I'll post some more when I finish the sauce.

hotsauce2.jpg

hotsauce1.jpg

Make sure you remember to take out the glass marbles when you puree....otherwise would definitely add some "bite."

Any update on your girl?

ALM

Scar

She got her negative results today.  No harm no foul. 

That 5 year hot sauce looks awesome!

Jakeismydog2

How does fermenting change the flavor?

GLS

Hard to say because I've never felt the urge to try the raw mash before fermentation.  Having bitten into a raw habanero, my immediate reaction was a mouth full of fire and not a lot of flavor.   In prior sauce making efforts before using fermentation, I'd cook the peppers  in a crock pot with vinegar outside the house.  The vapor would burn the eyes.  The taste was more of the vinegar than the peppers. Fermentation and aging smooths out the flavors without changing the color of the mash or the end product.  The 40% vinegar used to make it shelf stable doesn't overpower the flavor of the fermented peppers.  Other than not using oak barrels to age the sauce in a salt cave, the technique is pretty much the same as how Tabasco sauce is made.  Gil

Scar

Finished my first batch today. A bit salty but plenty of complexity and a nice heat!

9D443511-5926-4B12-945D-E9A5CC0ED97D.jpeg

Scar

And I started a new batch. Serranos, carrots, garlic and bell peppers. Less salt in the brine. 

6402A048-3A32-4B7E-B652-4D54AF1E505B.jpeg

polecat

Is that burping room?

Scar
21 hours ago, polecat said:

Is that burping room?

No, just had a few serranos and didn't want to overwhelm them with other veggies.  The jar is full of brine up to the silicone fermentation lid that you can't see in the pic.

robp

looks great Glad you guys are OK

I think I know what I am going to be messing around with this weekend.

Remo

Man that looks good. My wife would have a fit though, she thinks ketchup is a hot spice.

Jakeismydog2

As a result of this thread I fermented a batch of my hot sauce. I made 2 batches at the same time. One I fermented one went straight to the bottle. I blended up my fermented sauce this morning. I like both of them. I think the fermented has a more complex flavor, but I am not sure it's worth the extra step. I won't decide until I finish the bottle.