REGISTERING FOR MEMBERSHIP ON UPLAND JOURNAL Read more... ×
casts_by_fly

Shooting the neighborhood game

co_setter
1 hour ago, Craig Conroy said:

I've always followed the teachings of Rancid Crabtree (see Pat McManus), who said:  "shooting a deer in your own pea patch is revenge, not hunting".

Whitetails take enough of the corn crop on an 80 acre tract my family owns that you need to take 3-4 just to break even.  🦌

SLR

We live on an old hill farm with over 400 acres contiguous to about 25 sq. miles of Taconic range in SW VT and NE NY. We have the expected game: deer, bear, turkey, grouse, woodcock, and a variety of predators. I like to shoot a buck for venison but I am not keen on killing does. The reason is that we have a few resident does that drop their fawns near the house and we delight is seeing them frequently. The grouse have gotten rather scarce and I don't ever hunt them here, as they are too valuable for training the bird dogs. I am not interested in killing a bear either. One doe with distinctive ear markings has had her fawn here for 6 years in a row. IMG_1773.thumb.jpg.065c7213add45610100899291d38c0fa.jpg

IMG_2022.jpg

mccuha

If it’d been turkey season a couple days ago. I would have made a move to try and call in a very big long beard that was feeding less than 100 yds from my back door steps in a back field.  

bill
On 6/29/2020 at 7:19 PM, quailguy said:

Personally I am not excited about shooting deer anymore. In South Texas we had deer in our yard unless we were outside. 1/4 ac of yard in the brush and we would have 7-8 deer in that little open area. They ate the potted roses on the porch. If I ever had seen a really big buck I think I would have shot him. Never really saw that big boy. We shot doves at my hunting partners place, sitting on dove stools out in his yard. That was fun. Pot shooting some deer 30 feet away is not fun. I had a pistol set aside if the big boy ever showed during deer season. if I managed to unlock the gun safe that day. 
But, if I were a deer hunter in a similar situation I would definitely set up on any deer nearby. The excellent habitat you describe should keep lots of deer around to look at whether you shoot a few or not. 

7 deer in the side yard, December 2016, Rio Medina

Not Ready when he showed up.  

The Big 10 Point, Rio Medina, December 2016 and no gun handy

bill
Just now, bill said:

nice buck but not much fun shooting off the back porch unless times are hard need some meat ( Ole Mommy browns little better eating thoe

tomato can

I shoot all skwirrls on site.  Thievin' varmints I have yet to eat nary a peach or apple out of my orchard. My favorite kill is the slow clingers when you blast them with the .17M2 and they cling high up in the tree before dying and falling backward with their tail flapping in the breeze.  My ESS brings them to hand.   The WAR ON DEER starts October 1st.  They have mowed my green beans down twice, ate all my day lillies, Hosta, squash etc.  Plus I bet Lyme disease ridden ticks are just leaping off them into the yard or worse the Meat allergy lone star ticks.  Possums, fox, coyote, bunnies, coon and turkeys are safe.