REGISTERING FOR MEMBERSHIP ON UPLAND JOURNAL Read more... ×
Cheesy

New family toy

Cheesy

I’d been wanting to get a fishing boat for a while. Lots of good crappie lakes around here, Beaver in Arkansas is just over an hour away with great stripers. Fishing Taneycomo at Branson always produces trout. Stockton and Bull Shoals have enough walleye to keep it interesting. All under 2 hours away. 

Wife has been wanting a pleasure boat to take the kids tubing, skiing, bobbing in the water in some out of way cove. Looked at multiple deck boats and pontoons in last year. 

So, we compromised and got a 21’ Glastron that will never see a fishing pole. 2009 model. No upholstery cracks or tears. Fiberglass is perfect everywhere. First foray into the boating world. 

Maiden Voyage yesterday. Kids had a blast. 

Ff1f0PF.jpg

Chief Paduke

B-Break

O-out

A-Another

T-Thousand

quailguy
8 minutes ago, Chief Paduke said:

B-Break

O-out

A-Another

T-Thousand

A boat is a hole in the water into which one pours money.  

ScenicRoute

Two best days of a boat owner are the day they buy and the day they sell.  

Cheesy

I bet you guys are a blast at parties. 😛😉😁😀

Lurch

All the above are certainly true, but even though I was glad to sell ours, I sure do miss it.

Especially just parking it and enjoying the rocking of the waves putting me to sleep while the kids wore themselves out jumping off and swimming around it.

Certainly made great memories 

WPG Gizmo

Enjoy the time spent on the water with your family some of my best memories of my Grandparents were spent on my Grandfathers boat fishing in Boston Harbor I would have no problems fishing off that boat 😀

Dogwood

Perfect age for boating with the kids.  By the time they're in high school they'll have other interests, so you'll get your money's worth now. I really like bowriders as a family rig.

Swampy 16

I love every day with my boat. It’s not a money pit if you maintain it. The best two days I’ve had with it were every day I’ve run it. Keep that I/O in tip top shape. At the end of each season have a pro go through it. They can be a nightmare if not maintained properly. Nice boat and the best of luck with it. Luckily you’re in freshwater so you shouldn’t have too many issues. I/O’s in saltwater can be real nightmares.

Wet Dog

We had a 23' Yamaha when our kids were that age and made some great memories. But as they got older their interest changed and we didn't use it enough to offset the upkeep costs. Maybe we'll do it again when we have grandkids. Have fun!

Greg Hartman

Congrats and enjoy!  You don't get that time back with kids, if you don't make use of it now.

Tim Frazier

I was once told by an old curmudgeon that if making/saving money was the goal; "if it floats, flys or (insert 4 letter word)...rent it"

That said I have six canoes and I've been married 29 years 😉

Enjoy!

WI Outdoor Nut

Nice looking rig.  I have had somewhere between 2-4 boats since age 23.  Sitting at 3 right now and wife wants one of here own.  I simply can't spend enough time on the water.  Kids are in their early teen's, and still love going on the water with us.  They simply take their friends now.

Clueless1

Congratulations!  We have always had a boat.  It's one thing that most of the time when I say to the teenagers "Hey wanna go do _____?" they will generally go.  They are just getting to the age where I trust them to take it out themselves now too. 

IMG_1797.JPG

topdog1961
On 7/4/2020 at 9:04 PM, Dogwood said:

Perfect age for boating with the kids.  By the time they're in high school they'll have other interests, so you'll get your money's worth now. I really like bowriders as a family rig.

This!  Enjoy the time with them now. We had a blast when my kids were young on my little Bass Tracker with a 45 Mercury. Tubing, skiing. Others had bigger faster boats but they and all their friends wanted to tube behind my little bass boat. There is an art to giving kids a fun tube ride without scaring them. When they hit their teens they got heavy enough that we needed a bigger more powerful boat. I sold that little boat and got an 18’ Bass Tracker with a 125 Mercury. That lasted about one year then they found other interest and now I have more boat than I really need for the little lakes I fish.