REGISTERING FOR MEMBERSHIP ON UPLAND JOURNAL Read more... ×
boon hogganbeck

northern PA camping (elk country)

boon hogganbeck

Well, coronavirus foiled our “real” vacation plans so instead my son (kindergarten age) wants to go camping. He wants to:

1) See elk

2) be able to swim

Any suggestions for locales and good campgrounds?  (With shower- house and other amenities would be a plus—and dog-friendly I guess because Vance the setter will be riding shotgun.) I’ve heard the Benezette PA area is good for elk sightings so I’m thinking about that. Thanks!

Tim Frazier

Sinnemahoning is a great campground and you can still see galaxies at night from the dam or take a short drive to the "dark park" at Cherry Hill I think it is.  Then drive to Benzette to see the Elk.   It is a wonderful area and I will look up the place we used to go for ice cream, maybe Wharton?

https://www.dcnr.pa.gov/StateParks/FindAPark/SinnemahoningStatePark/Pages/default.aspx

Tim Frazier

The Lumber Museum is also close by in Potter county.  Where the river feeds into the lake is a really fun place to swim, shallow with some current.  If the water is real low, swimming might be tough but it's still a fun area.  One of the nearby sister parks had a full blown pool but I don't know if it would be operational this season or not.  

boon hogganbeck

Thanks!  That looks like a good bet. 

grouse28

Unfortunately the lumber museum is closed due to the mass hysteria.

We were in Benezette to see the elk. Saw the most right “downtown”  in Benesette.

Cherry Springs dark sky is nice although they may have suspended their programs this year.

Tim Frazier
37 minutes ago, grouse28 said:

Unfortunately the lumber museum is closed due to the mass hysteria.

We were in Benezette to see the elk. Saw the most right “downtown”  in Benesette.

Cherry Springs dark sky is nice although they may have suspended their programs this year.

Yes, in the dry years they stay down by the river.  So massive bulls can be right in peoples yards.  That stinks about the museum but I guess it should be expected.  Still a nice place with a lot to do.  I bet the ice cream/bar/restaurant in Wharton isn't closed! 

terc

Tim,  I just had a few Blue Ribbons at the Wharton Hotel 2 weeks ago. Shoulder to shoulder no masks. 

Boon,

Staying at the Sinnemahoning Park camp ground is a good idea. You can see Elk anywhere in that valley. Go to the Lakeview store  at the dam for icecream though. Cheaper, larger servings, friendlier people, more flavors, still Perry's.

The Driftwood Saloon has also upped their game. They have a new large deck finished, now in use.

We have been seeing three nice bulls near Benezette , by a little town called Grant.

Its a great area ,have fun. 

Wet Dog

Check out the Elk Visitor Center in Benezette. You'll see Elk on a regular basis at dawn or dusk at their viewing area plus. They also have cabins for rent there I believe. About 30 minutes away is Parker Dam State Park. A nice small town called St. Marys is about 15 miles north. They have the 2nd oldest brewery - Straub's, decent hotels, and places to eat.

More info on Benezette

Another place to look into is Cooks Forest It's a great place to camp, raft on the river, horseback ride, or hike. Probably an hour or so from Benezette.

boon hogganbeck

Thanks everybody, we had a good time, stayed at Sinnemahoning campground (great spot), and saw a few cow elk despite blazing heat—my boy enjoyed it. Nice to see a new part of PA.  Lovely country up there. Had to dodge thunderstorms & a nuisance bear—a 300-pounder kept raiding the campground which made for some high drama. Somebody left out a bucket of fry oil overnight, much to the bear’s excitement. I didn’t see him myself but heard all the neighbors yelling at it, etc.  Kind of made for an unnerving night of sleep, with a pre-schooler, a worried mom, and a setter pup in the tent, but it was memorable for sure... makes for a good story.  Looking forward to going back for trout fishing when it cools down.