REGISTERING FOR MEMBERSHIP ON UPLAND JOURNAL Read more... ×
Birdcountry70

Low tech wins again!

Birdcountry70

I just realized I accidentally ran my darn keys through the washing machine in my pants pocket. BUT, guess what it's a 72 Scout so they still work!!!  Anyone who has ever ruined an expensive fob or been stranded while they tried to warm up their "key" because it was 35 below zero and their high tech new pickup couldn't  sense that the fob was in the vehicle because the little battery was frozen should have an appreciation for my lame humor. My wife doesn't. 

20200714_194843.jpg

Dakota Dogman

Totally and completely!! Struggling in me because my 76s Scouts 345 is getting tired, and on a good day gets 10mpg. I have a nice 30k mile fuel injection 360 sitting in the garage and part of me says that makes good sense if I want to keep it as my daily driver. BUT ... I like the simplicity of the old choke and...  

God bless,

apachecadillac

so that's what that shade of orange looks like 40+ years on.  Does anyone remember if they also made them in avocado green?

snood

Sometimes I really hate technology!

Brad Eden

Hadn’t realized the freezing thing was an issue with newfangled fobby stuff. (I do miss my Scout II) But, don’t have any fob thing with my ‘06 Tundra. I don’t even have the auto door opener fob thing on my key ring. The ring piece that held it on wore out. Things have gotten really complicated on newer vehicles that’s for sure. I ran into a guy I know who works in the local Toyota dealership service dept, when I was there looking at used trucks. Herb sees new vehicles come through for service every day. He told me he was looking for a clean 2006 Tundra to buy. His premise was it was the last year before they blew them up and added a bunch of high tech stuff, and wanted that simplicity. Mine wasn’t a candidate since it had too many miles and too many bumps and bruises.

topdog1961

It can work both ways. My 98 F-150 is completely manual keys and locks (from the outside). The keys I have for it work fine always in the ignition, but when below freezing won’t open the doors. In late season deer hunting, I can’t lock the doors, or when I crawl down out of the stand freezing cold, I can’t get inside. I suspect my keys are copies multiple generations from the original.  The tolerances in the door lock mechanisms are tighter than the ignition, and the keys barely clear those tolerances, but do work easily in warmer weather. But when the metal in the lock mechanism contracts with the cold, and the key is warm in my pocket, the tolerance is to tight to work. 

I wouldn’t have that issue with a fob, unless perhaps it was WAY colder than I want to hunt. Plus it to would be warm in my pocket and the batteries should be unaffected even then. 

Tim Frazier
10 hours ago, Birdcountry70 said:

I just realized I accidentally ran my darn keys through the washing machine in my pants pocket. BUT, guess what it's a 72 Scout so they still work!!!  Anyone who has ever ruined an expensive fob or been stranded while they tried to warm up their "key" because it was 35 below zero and their high tech new pickup couldn't  sense that the fob was in the vehicle because the little battery was frozen should have an appreciation for my lame humor. My wife doesn't. 

20200714_194843.jpg

But new cars/trucks won't let you accidently lock the doors with your keys in the ignition....wait, where is your roof?

Rockdoc

I carry a low-tech key in my wallet that fits my Ford Escape. It'll open the doors and it fits the ignition but it won't start the car. I purchased it after I accidentally locked myself out of my idling car at a fast food joint when I ran inside to purchase a burger. One of these days I need to remember to buy a magnetic key locker for it.

Steve

OldSarge
1 hour ago, topdog1961 said:

It can work both ways. My 98 F-150 is completely manual keys and locks (from the outside). The keys I have for it work fine always in the ignition, but when below freezing won’t open the doors. In late season deer hunting, I can’t lock the doors, or when I crawl down out of the stand freezing cold, I can’t get inside. I suspect my keys are copies multiple generations from the original.  The tolerances in the door lock mechanisms are tighter than the ignition, and the keys barely clear those tolerances, but do work easily in warmer weather. But when the metal in the lock mechanism contracts with the cold, and the key is warm in my pocket, the tolerance is to tight to work. 

I wouldn’t have that issue with a fob, unless perhaps it was WAY colder than I want to hunt. Plus it to would be warm in my pocket and the batteries should be unaffected even then. 

I’ve had that happen before. To fix, I stuck the key in the lock and heated it up with a bic lighter for a few seconds, grabbed the hot key with my leatherman and it turned easily. Worth a try if it happens to you again. 

GLS

I've run my Sequoia's remote opener through the wash once and was happy to learn it was waterproof.  I have a key wrapped in layers of gorilla tape and zip tied at an undisclosed location under the truck.  My hunting companions are told where it is.  After seeing woods roads littered with rusting magnetic key boxes that were jolted off truck frames,  I figured I needed another method.  I am a believer in Tiles.  I should have one surgically implanted in one of my gluteous maximus so I can locate it on occasion, especially in the dark with both hands.  I learned my lesson (sure, Gil) about 5 years ago when I failed to secure my keys properly in zippered pocket.  The last place  I hunted was an acre sized head high rivercane patch 200 yards from the truck.  I tried retaking steps and after a 5 minute search, stumbled upon my keys barely visible in the leaves surrounded by dense rivercane.  The discovery was euphoric , unexpected and undeserved.  I had been woodcocking in a remote area a few miles from the nearest house deep in a river swamp 8 miles from cell phone coverage.  It was after that episode that I hid the extra key.  Gil

Brad Eden
1 hour ago, Rockdoc said:

I carry a low-tech key in my wallet that fits my Ford Escape. It'll open the doors and it fits the ignition but it won't start the car. I purchased it after I accidentally locked myself out of my idling car at a fast food joint when I ran inside to purchase a burger. One of these days I need to remember to buy a magnetic key locker for it.

Steve

I carry my spare Truck key in my wallet, but it works for everything. Luckily it is all metal and relatively flat.

Mark Stella/WV

Nice rig!

Birdcountry70
16 hours ago, apachecadillac said:

so that's what that shade of orange looks like 40+ years on.  Does anyone remember if they also made them in avocado green?

Yep, the 48 year old paint is worn pretty thin. It also has a big primer spot on the passenger quarter panel from when I slid it into a tree up in the mountains a long time ago. The green color was very popular, I  have seen quite a few over the years. 

Dakota Dogman
1 hour ago, Birdcountry70 said:

Yep, the 48 year old paint is worn pretty thin. It also has a big primer spot on the passenger quarter panel from when I slid it into a tree up in the mountains a long time ago. The green color was very popular, I  have seen quite a few over the years. 

It also looks a lot like the new Bronco... Except yours is cool.

God Bless,