REGISTERING FOR MEMBERSHIP ON UPLAND JOURNAL Read more... ×
NEWYORKHILLBILLY

Best Upland Hunting Vest?

NEWYORKHILLBILLY

My old vest is turning into rags over many years of use. Anyone have suggestions for one they really like?

Ray Gubernat

Absolutely without question, in my mind, the WICK front loading vest is the very best I have ever worn and used.  It is incredibly durable and I can carry three or more pheasants in relative comfort, in addition to a water bottle.   The covered shell holders and pockets  will hold all the ammo you could possibly need. 

Mine is kinda faded, but it will last my lifetime.  If I could rejuvenate the blaze orange coloring, you would never know it is darn near thirty years old and been pushed through many, many stands of multiflora, greenbrier and Russian Olive.

Unfortunately, Wick went out of business several years back.  However, I did a search and found that  Coon Hunter Supply is advertising a vest that appears to be a faithful copy of the original WICK product.   If it IS the same as the original...it will serve you well.  Dan's also has some tough outdoor wear, but I do not know if they do vests.

RayG

bmeador

Quillomen. 

Treerooster

Here is a post from the gear and gadgets forum about vests.

RedL

Still wearing a 20 year old Cabelas vest.  Maybe I should be looking for a new vest too . . . lol

mccuha

Just go to the gear and gadgets section. There’s atleast 2 topics about hunting vests 

Upland_Hunter

Filson. Tough as nails and will last you a lifetime.

ccavacini

Been using this Cabela's vest for at least 20 years...can't wear it out.

Hunting vest front.jpg

ccavacini

Hunting vest back.jpgAnd the secret to keeping a vest so long.....never wash it.

Tres

Q5 outdoor products are a great variety of vests which includes Quilomene. They are made in the USA. Great products. 

GB Jack

Still default to my cabelas strap vest from 2004. That being said Q makes great vests, will most likely be my next if I need to purchase 

0E8A17F0-883F-4EEA-955B-764F2C373A18.jpeg

BIGSP

There are literally tons of good vests out there and a few great ones.  And the definition for each will be different for each person.  When narrowing down your vest choice here are some things to keep in mind.

• Do I want a traditional "Vest", most are typically made of cotton and or waxed cotton
    • Typically inexpensive to buy, made overseas and has been a tried and true design for decades
    • Because of their material "mostly cotton" they usually absorb moisture and can become very heavy
    • Typically warm to wear "Holds in core body temps".  Which can be a plus for late season hunting.
    • Doesn't allow you to carry much stuff, typically 2 shell pockets and a game bag
  • Do I want a strap vest, again most are made of cotton and or waxed cotton
    • Pro's are they are lightweight and fit close to the body
    • Con's are they don't carry the weight well, a heavy game bag or water bottles can weigh down on your shoulders.
    • Not easy to customize
  • Do I want a technical weight bearing belt, strap vest?
    • Typically made of polyester or nylon, very durable can vary in weight from 3-6lbs depending on make and model
    • Usually more expensive because there is a lot that goes in to building them
    • Can buy minimalist style or literal backcountry gear packs that allow you to carry gallons of water and keep the weight on your hips, not your shoulders.
    • Some are very modular so you can custom configure the vest to your needs.
    • Many are made in the USA
    • They do take a little getting used to and getting the belt and the straps set up can take some time but once you have it dialed in they are my favorite.

RobH

Like Red, ccavacini and GB Jack I’m still rocking a Cabelas vest from the early to mid 00’s.  

But I’ll be torn when it comes to my next one if I ever need one.  Do I buy or make my own since I haven’t found one that fits as well as my Cabelas strap vest.   

Fishnfowler

I have more vests than Imelda Marcos had shoes.  Could still use a few more.  Don't get all anxious about having the perfect one, just start buying them for different purposes and the fun will never stop.

troutbum

Wingworks if you're a 60+ days upland hunter