REGISTERING FOR MEMBERSHIP ON UPLAND JOURNAL Read more... ×
NEWYORKHILLBILLY

Best Upland Hunting Vest?

Brad Eden
On 7/26/2020 at 7:38 PM, Treerooster said:

Here is a post from the gear and gadgets forum about vests.

This.^^^^^^^ Always room for more, and the Gear & Gadgets section is filled with Vest Topics for further review. So many I should probably create an Upland vest sub-forum...

Please consider a vest from one of our UJ Ad Sponsors. These Sponsors help pay for this covert in the cloud.

WingWorks

Pyke Gear

Q5/Quillomene

Orvis

Side note: What is often lost on Members is that non-sponsors get rich marketing on a niche Upland Board with no affiliation or support to the community. That’s the nature of the Upland resource beast and to be expected. While Ad Sponsors also do get exposure of course, but also deal with criticism, and not always positive. Again the nature of the Upland resource beast, and I applaud them for renewing their sponsorships. FWIW

Also, everyone keep an eye out for vests in this Summers UJ Auction that I am on the cusp of launching,

Brad Eden

IMO, the right Upland vest is highly dependent on many factors; Areas and states being hunted, birds being pursued, length of hunts, how far off the beaten track, dog gizmos and gadgets, etc., etc. etc.

The person hunting prairies, or CRP or rocky mountainsides for pheasant, huns, chukar etc., with a string of bird dogs, all day, miles from any vehicle...while staying in a rented cabin or an RV is a whole different animal than.....the provincial person with one dog, who habitually stops off at small ruffed grouse or Woodcock covers on his or her way to get the mail or while doing errands. Person one needs a more substantial vest with a lot more room for water, dog stuff, food, first aid kit and the plethora of other things people put in a vest. Person two needs something simple, that will hold some shells, maybe some water, and hopefully a bird or two in the back game pouch. Then, of course the majority live somewhere in between those two worlds, so there are choices for everyone. Regardless, the best thing to happen to upland vests were the strap design with the weight bearing waist belt. Taking the weight of a box or two of shells in the front bellow pockets-off the lower back is a wonderful thing. I would never wear a vest anymore that hangs off my shoulders for anything but a quick pop in and out of a cover. My 2¢.

Skybuster

Brad's right on. In warm weather I don't wear a vest; prefer a shooters apron w/big pockets and vented pouch. A vest in cooler weather, loose enough to allow for ventilation.

Garbi

Wingworks

Speaks

Depends on what and where you are hunting. I love the Q5 primer and san carlos (same as primer but with a pocket in the game bag). It is a very minimalist vest which is perfect for grouse and wood cock hunting and covering any pheasant ground I could find near me. I like it so much I bought a few in case they ever stop making them or go out of business I am set for life. 

I also have a wing works that I would not even consider wearing into the grouse covers I hunt but might be a great choice for an all day western hunt. I plan to do one of those in the not so distant future so I kept it rather than selling it off. 

Both are awesome vests with very different uses, for me at least. 

GeorgeE

New to the scene, but worth the look...Just got mine and will be putting it through the paces!  Matt’s a great guy also!  👍

https://finalrise.com/

dogrunner
6 hours ago, GeorgeE said:

New to the scene, but worth the look...Just got mine and will be putting it through the paces!  Matt’s a great guy also!  👍

https://finalrise.com/

$300 yikes. 

Jim Vander

The one thats full of birds :)

Brad Eden

I will have a Pyke Gear Wingman vest (UJ Ad Sponsor) on the UJ Auction to be launched in a day or two...FWIW

WMassGriff

Orvis Strap vest for this provincial hunter. Works as well in the Cold as in hot weather!

My LLBean Partridge vest is a spare mostly used for dog training to carry all the paraphernalia.

flyphish2day

I have had a Q5 for many years. Functions as new. I am pleased.

E.Young

I've owned/own a bunch of vests (Orvis x3, Q5, Pella, etc etc) but there is not a single one I like more than the Duluth strap vest. It is the simplest, cleanest, lightest, no frills, no muss no fuss vest available - I cannot emphasize just how perfect and perfectly uncomplicated it is for a 2-4 hr traipse through the woods. I snapped up a lifetime's worth and then some (3) when they were $9 or so. 

Spin1
5 hours ago, E.Young said:

I've owned/own a bunch of vests (Orvis x3, Q5, Pella, etc etc) but there is not a single one I like more than the Duluth strap vest. It is the simplest, cleanest, lightest, no frills, no muss no fuss vest available - I cannot emphasize just how perfect and perfectly uncomplicated it is for a 2-4 hr traipse through the woods. I snapped up a lifetime's worth and then some (3) when they were $9 or so. 

I have two friends that have the Duluth vest and think they are great, to bad they don't make them anymore.

DAG

I just picked up a strap vest from Scheels. It checks all the boxes and was $100. I’m skeptical of how long it will last but we will see in 30 days. 

s.davis

I bought a Cabelas strap vest for like $20 ten or so years ago, with the promise to myself that if I liked a strap vest instead of a jacket, which is what I had previously worn, I would upgrade to a Filson or some such. I've hunted 50-ish days a year in the vest and can't wear it out...