REGISTERING FOR MEMBERSHIP ON UPLAND JOURNAL Read more... ×
Wisconsin

For Uplander/Shaun

Wisconsin

Hurry up. Eat sweet corn like it’ll be gone tomorrow. Catch a few more brook trout. Summer’s waning, fall is peeking around the corner. Maples are blushing in the swamps and sumac are turning red and orange.

Sorry, I know you’re not ready.

Ken is!

A2F63F98-7856-42A6-BF2E-6B6C298EFFCA.jpeg

Uplander

Sweet corn just hit the farm stands here!  Give me a few weeks to enjoy it for pity’s sake…

Brad Eden

No corn yet here in mid Maine. Cripes, tomato’s are just turning red. 

Rogue Hunter

Crickets have started chirping The wheat and oats are golden and not long until cut.

Millriver

Best sweet corn in the world is grown in the Connecticut River Valley  in Western Massachusetts. We’ve been eating it for 3 weeks now. That and Caprese Salads with fresh tomatoes and basil are a summer tradition. 

Can’t stand the heat but do love those summer meals on the deck!

Uplander
2 hours ago, Millriver said:

Best sweet corn in the world is grown in the Connecticut River Valley  in Western Massachusetts.

I beg to differ.  The best sweet corn in the world comes from the Northern Berkshires of Western Massachusetts.

Don Steese

The old Pennsylvania Dutch way of assuring great sweetcorn is to get water boiling in a pot and then, and only then, go out to the truck patch and pick the corn!! Freshness is the key!! 

paul frey

Sweet corn from the Hudson Valley in NY air bad either

Millriver and Uplander I am going to (IMHO) tell you that the best sweet corn is grown by my 15 year old son on our little farm in Lakeside Ct. We also raise beef, dairy cows, vegetables. Millriver I might even sell you some!!! Have a great day, 627

Millriver
1 hour ago, 627 said:

Millriver and Uplander I am going to (IMHO) tell you that the best sweet corn is grown by my 15 year old son on our little farm in Lakeside Ct. We also raise beef, dairy cows, vegetables. Millriver I might even sell you some!!! Have a great day, 627

I’ll definitely have to make the trip down someday. Maybe barter some maple syrup......

ccavacini
4 hours ago, Uplander said:

I beg to differ.  The best sweet corn in the world comes from the Northern Berkshires of Western Massachusetts.

Beg to differ +3.  Best sweet corn comes from Northern Indiana/Southern Michigan.

Lurch

you'll all wrong  - the best sweet corn in the world is whatever's on a dinner plate in NE Indianapolis that belongs to me.

I don't care where it comes from. Any slated for anyplace other than my mouth is a distance second place.

But based on my small sample size, I'd agree with Cary...

WPG Gizmo

I like my corn in a bottle mostly but the time is rip for fresh corn with lots of butter and a dash of salt

Don Steese

Some of the best sweet corn I've ever eaten was served on a stick  from street vendors in Mexico. It's a very popular snack food down there. They slather it with Mexican crema ( which we used to think was mayo), and then sprinkle with Mexican spices. Really good stuff. 

strato-caster

Couldn't help but smile while reading this thread... 

So nice to see a sense of pride for where one comes from alive and well in the summer of 2020.

It seems like this could be a scene from "Seven Brides for Seven Brothers" or some such movie from ages ago  . You know, an epic, yet friendly fist fight, followed by the last man standing helping everyone back up on their feet for a good laugh and a slap on the back. Then all the women folk calling all the boys in for an al fresco dinner on a plaid tableclothed farm table full of tasty vittles and bushels of steaming hot, buttered sweet corn that no one can eat because they are still spitting teeth. 

Apparently you guys haven't travelled west to sample our sweet corn, especially the ears with both the white and yellow kernels. I'm getting a cavity just thinking about it... and here I thought that EVERYONE knew that all the best produce comes from the Central Valley of California. 

Dare I say that the reason California is the world's 4th largest economy might just be the sweet corn? The fruits, veggies, avocados and nuts are pretty good too! Just sayin' !