REGISTERING FOR MEMBERSHIP ON UPLAND JOURNAL Read more... ×
Wisconsin

For Uplander/Shaun

strato-caster

Don,

As you can imagine, the street vendor corn on the cob here in southern California is second to none. I'm sure you already know that California was once part of Mexico and has all the benefits of its heritage, before we stole it fair and squarely from our hospitable southern neighbor. 

That said, the Mexican and Central American fare here is superb, as is the Korean, Chinese, Japanese, Vietnamese and Cambodian food as well. Did I mention Little India is a mere 5 miles away? A couple miles up the road into Los Angeles and you can sample the very best from Armenia, Greece and Ethiopia. The Fairfax District has great Jewish Delis... it's like travelling the world, but without the constant threat of explosive bouts of diarrhea.

Then there's barbeque... nothing like Santa Maria style tri tip, slow cooked over oak from up the coast in Santa Barbara Co. The urchins and salmon from the Central Coast are cherished the world over. Hard to keep the Japanese from buying the entire lot.

Like fishing? San Diego into south Orange Co right now has Bluefin tuna to 300 lbs, a solid Yellowfin bite, dorado, yellowtail to 60 lbs at the Cortez Bank this week, and I saw my first swordfish of the season caught online last night. The pelagics have kinda just hung around the last 3-4 years, the big tuna being caught nearly year round. The amazing part is that most of the action is within 30 miles of shore. Guys are actually targeting the tuna with the big jet skis. Seems crazy to me and I learned long ago that you can't fix stupid.

The bird  hunting is pretty darn good, too- we've already had a second hatch of quail on the ground , with a third likely. Chukar are looking good (no, not the planted kind, but the ones you have to work for). Dove, if anything like last year, should be epic. From what I understand, San Diego County and the Central Coast were lousy with turkey this spring, the latter also infested with feral pigs that need to die.

Pandemic, politics, property and sales tax aside, it's still a great place to live...

Now if we could only get our pheasant and waterfowl populations back up to what it was back in the 60s and 70s...

Don Steese
36 minutes ago, strato-caster said:

Don,

As you can imagine, the street vendor corn on the cob here in southern California is second to none. I'm sure you already know that California was once part of Mexico and has all the benefits of its heritage, before we stole it fair and squarely from our hospitable southern neighbor. 

That said, the Mexican and Central American fare here is superb, as is the Korean, Chinese, Japanese, Vietnamese and Cambodian food as well. Did I mention Little India is a mere 5 miles away? A couple miles up the road into Los Angeles and you can sample the very best from Armenia, Greece and Ethiopia. The Fairfax District has great Jewish Delis... it's like travelling the world, but without the constant threat of explosive bouts of diarrhea.

Then there's barbeque... nothing like Santa Maria style tri tip, slow cooked over oak from up the coast in Santa Barbara Co. The urchins and salmon from the Central Coast are cherished the world over. Hard to keep the Japanese from buying the entire lot.

Like fishing? San Diego into south Orange Co right now has Bluefin tuna to 300 lbs, a solid Yellowfin bite, dorado, yellowtail to 60 lbs at the Cortez Bank this week, and I saw my first swordfish of the season caught online last night. The pelagics have kinda just hung around the last 3-4 years, the big tuna being caught nearly year round. The amazing part is that most of the action is within 30 miles of shore. Guys are actually targeting the tuna with the big jet skis. Seems crazy to me and I learned long ago that you can't fix stupid.

The bird  hunting is pretty darn good, too- we've already had a second hatch of quail on the ground , with a third likely. Chukar are looking good (no, not the planted kind, but the ones you have to work for). Dove, if anything like last year, should be epic. From what I understand, San Diego County and the Central Coast were lousy with turkey this spring, the latter also infested with feral pigs that need to die.

Pandemic, politics, property and sales tax aside, it's still a great place to live...

Now if we could only get our pheasant and waterfowl populations back up to what it was back in the 60s and 70s...

I've only been to California once but was surprised by the wide open spaces from Anaheim up to Sacramento. Lotsa farm country there. I guess I expected nothing bur hundreds of miles of urban sprawl?? 

Brad Eden

4B617669-B5EF-4FD2-B8D7-88FBA6F33A42.jpeg

The best corn will come from this raised bed in about a week or so. Because I can get the water boiling, pick some ears, shuck, and get them in the water in about 30 seconds....no sugar loss whatsoever. 🌽 😋 

Kansas Bound

Any good hipster would know it as Sweet Maize you fools. 

Let me get back to my Quinoa and Kombucha for breakfast.

Millriver
18 minutes ago, Kansas Bound said:

Any good hipster would know it as Sweet Maize you fools. 

Let me get back to my Quinoa and Kombucha for breakfast.

🤢

Ben Hong

I heard the first cicada a week ago. I always associate their buzzing with "good eats" just around the corner.