2018 UJ SUMMER SILENT AUCTION HAS LAUNCHED Read more... ×
Sign in to follow this  
Bagger

Favorite Wine for Ruffed Grouse, Phez, Sharptails

Trappercase
God, what a bunch a pussies!

Are you sure you guys aren't gay?

I was gonna say.  Zinfandel is for fairies.

Roost em 1st

Someone get me some magic pixie dust then, I really enjoy RED zinfandel wines. Are you saying Cabernet, Malbec, Merlot, Pinot Noir, Rioja, Syrah, etc....are acceptable but not Zinfandel?  

or were you thinking about the white zinfandel commonly seen in the hand of some flush cheeked single young lady at a wedding? I have uses for both wines...

polecat
I like my pixie dust before the wine and may even throw some browm stuff in the mix.Wyatt ,you better round me up another bottle it could be a long summer.Gotta go I smell my garlic and onions stinkin up the place and don't want to burn the venison loin resting on top.

Roost em 1st
I thought about you tonight polecat. That bottle has a good layer of dust in it. I'll be in Ri for the 4th. Maybe I can find an honest courier to get it to you if you are going to the gathering. If not, well chit, I dunno, guess I could send it a year late.

Chukarman
Like like a pinot noir with any game bird. David Bruce is a very good pinot, and one of my favorites.

12ette
Vodka, will quite any wine gents

If Vodka is your potable of choice accept no substitute...

Sadko, Vodka

browndog

red zin with pheasant stroganoff  

we could talk, Lee  :blush:

lee sykes
red zin with pheasant stroganoff  

we could talk, Lee  :blush:

I didn't know pheasants could do that.

SODAKer

For ruffs and pheasant:

Louis Jadot Bourgogne

Apex Chard

For sharptails or woodcock:

Chateau St. Jean Sonoma Cab

Hahn Cab

Ben Hong
SODAKer, next time you have fresh gamebirds in the bag, ask your wife or in-laws to make claypotted bird on rice. Very simple, very delicious and it is my and Linda's favourite way of eating any game bird. Moosehead is the beer of choice. :D

SODAKer

Ben,

My brother-in-law tells me about claypotted cooking at least once a year. Guess this will have to be the year to crack one open.

Speaking of Moosehead. Many years ago as a teenager I sent the Company President a letter stating how much I enjoyed the beverage. Low and behold I receive a very nice hand written letter and one of those cool wooden crates that would hold a case. Still have both somewhere.

Ben Hong

Earl;

When the time comes that you have fresh birds and/or the cooks are willing, let me know and I will suggest  recipes.

As for Moosehead, it is a family owned business, a family I know quite well. If you find the letter, and it is dated less than 25 years ago, the sender may be Derek Oland whom I have know since my university days. Derek is the great grandson of the founder and assumed the presidency after his predecessor and uncle, Mr. Phillip Oland decided to retire. Your letter may also have been signed by the Mr. Phillip Oland who was the public face of the company long after he retired and well into his 80s. Hang on to that letter and the box for who knows, someday a company historian may come a-calling.

It was remarkable for a large outfit like that which exported internationally to have owners who cared so much that the president or v-p answered every letter personally and if Old Phillip saw your letter, he would have hand written it himself. Alas, I don't think they do that as a regular practice anymore because since Derek stepped back a bit in the past few years, a bunch of technocrats are running the firm. They still make a great beer though.

Spin

A nice Kabinett grade Mosel, less sweet than higher grades, slightly dry but still carries the fruity overtone, less robust than a Rhine.

For a desert wine after the main meal a Hungarian Tokaj Asz'u 4 putuno grade.

Spin