REGISTERING FOR MEMBERSHIP ON UPLAND JOURNAL Read more... ×
Sign in to follow this  
Briarscratch

Bleak Dark

Briarscratch

Bleak Dark

It started to sleet and the light turned grayer.

He pulled his collar tight and shuddered, an uncontrollable spasm that hunched his shoulders.

He shouldn't be out here but couldn't find his way back.

The poor black dog slunk behind him getting a heel in the chops for her closeness. Every time it happened he winced, cursed, and felt his frustration rise. She was as nervous as he was and stuck to him like a shadow.

Just ahead a familiar hogback loomed.  He thought he saw a faint trace of the trail on the other side of the prickly ash choked hollow.

With determination born of haste and experience he slipped into the cover. The trick was not fearing it and trying to flow through it like water. The barrels of his Winchester led the way, dowsing out the hidden paths. Thorny stems slid over gloved hands biting briefly into the wrists, then sliding down angled forearms.

When he cleared the last copse he grimaced a smile thinking about the pleasant burning he'd feel later.

If he could get the hell out of here.

B du B

Good description.  I often like being "lost", but it starts to get hairy when night's coming on.

I need a new GPS.

jmooney

Perfect description of that "place between places".  You're not lost enough for it to be a problem but the truck ain't exactly where you left it either.

The edge between despair and adventure.  I like it.

Brad Eden

I hate getting turned around too. Especially when I could be hunting back to the truck at dusk instead of fighting back panic...(that Jo Ann would call warden service and I'd be embarrassed into having to be found).

Good read Scratch.

lee sykes
Bravo. You have captured Annie Proulxs' essence.

wcpeabody
Very nice; But completely foreign to me, as I always know where I am

Grousehunter 12
Bravo. You have captured Annie Proulxs' essence.

Ouch! That's going leave a stain.

Been There, and try not to do that anymore?

Now where did I stow that dam GPS? AH! there

it is!!! Oh Oh? $#%@ dam batteries are dead.

Hmmmmm?  :down:  :down:

bosco mctavitch
Amazing that you can capture that feeling of reality...knowing that your covers are so familiar to you that it's not possible it could have actually happened...

Rex Hoppie
.............Shouldn't have waited so long to head back, it is really getting dark.......  Oh well I will be back soon enough .... why is this ridge falling off,.... crap!!!!!Ok, think this out?????

Briarscratch

Amazing that you can capture that feeling of reality...knowing that your covers are so familiar to you that it's not possible it could have actually happened...

Let's just say my intimate knowledge of those covers is hard won.

Very hard won.  

Thanks for the comments guys, they are much appreciated.  But as my personal editor at large said via PM, the tense was all over the place.  Back to the drawing board.

Pat Berry
Nice read, Scratch. As crazy as it sounds, I find it oddly exhilarating to be stuck in those situations with those conditions.

bosco mctavitch
Let's just say my intimate knowledge of those covers is hard won.

Very hard won.

Had I not sensed Matt Crawfords eyes on this I would have used the winking emoticon.

Rex Hoppie
..........Damn, some bastard has locked the gate, I am locked in...........OK, I'll detour back around thru Nutter's Fork........20 miles of bad road....but........(6 miles later) Oh crap!!!!! when did they put this new gate in...........I don't want to stay in here all night!!!!!(back to the first gate).......(Get out and look at how gate is locked).......OK, the original paper company locking mechanism has been trashed ,,,,,,,, someone has rubed up a chinzy chain affair,, I think I can handle this with the master key.... Dig in back of Blazer for bolt cutters (master key),,,,,,,Cut another link from chain, would you believe a cut link is already laying on the ground below......Open gate, get the hell out of Dodge...........Feel elated and pissed at same time.

Briarscratch

Just got off the phone with my (merciless) editor.  Edits have been made.

Rex I like it, I can see you've been there too!