FRIENDLY REMINDER ABOUT HUNTING REPORTS/TOPICS... Read more... ×
Sign in to follow this  
North Dakota Hntr

Creamy, mushroom pheasant

North Dakota Hntr

This is not health food!!!!!

Ingredients.

6 pheasant breast fillets (Three birds)

1 pound of bacon (Preferably pepper bacon)

1 qt heavy cream

One large white onion

4 pkgs button mushrooms

2 tbs butter

Soy Sauce

Chop pheasant breasts into bite size pieces and spice with...

heavy on the black pepper

garlic powder

old bay seasoning

small amount of curry

any season salt of choice

Cut pepper bacon into small pieces and brown well, in a large skillet.

Drain most of the grease and add white onion, fine chopped.

Sautee onion until clear.

Add heavy cream and simmer for 1 hr to thicken.

15 minutes before serving, add seasoned pheasant to the cream mix.. (do not brown! allow the pheasant to simmer in the cream mix and do not simmer the bird more than 15 min.)

On the side. In a sauce pan, sautee mushrooms in the butter and about a tbs of soy sauce. Start this the same time you start the bacon and allow to sautee until mushrooms are almost black and the liquid is gone.

Add the mushrooms to the cream sauce just before serving.

Serve over Pasta, rice, or my favorite, wild rice.

I love it with cucumber salad but serve your salad of choice.

This is an artery clogger and not something you want to eat every day but it has been a huge hit at our table.

Mmmmmmmmmmm!!!!!!

I got to give this one a shot!!!!!!!!!!

Thanks for the heads up, I can feel my artries begging for help!!!!! :ghostface:

Carl

graytrout

You've suceeded in making me hungry!  

BTW, I don't think you have to worry about calories much when you hunt phez in the weather ND has had lately.  You've earned every bite!

Old Colonel

My Lovely Victoria and I just ate Craig's masterpiece for New Year's Dinner.  WOW!.  After she did her thing with the breasts, she roasted the wings and drumsticks.  All that wonderful meat will go into Pheasant Ravioli.  Next she boiled down the carcases and took the remaining meat from them to save for the dogss who watched her every move praying she'd drop something!.

Served on the wild rice as suggested this really IS perfect!

PS: 1 teaspoon of curry is all you need unless you are a Texican or Cajun with burned out tastebuds.  I loaded the dishwasher 3 times but it was worth every moment!

brueggemanns

Sounds divine. I think I might try to  lighten it up by using fat-free half and half and low sodium bacon.

Nah.  Life is too short!

North Dakota Hntr
My Lovely Victoria and I just ate Craig's masterpiece for New Year's Dinner.  WOW!.  After she did her thing with the breasts, she roasted the wings and drumsticks.  All that wonderful meat will go into Pheasant Ravioli.  Next she boiled down the carcases and took the remaining meat from them to save for the dogss who watched her every move praying she'd drop something!.

Served on the wild rice as suggested this really IS perfect!

PS: 1 teaspoon of curry is all you need unless you are a Texican or Cajun with burned out tastebuds.  I loaded the dishwasher 3 times but it was worth every moment!

I'm glad you liked it sir.. I should have been a little more specific on the curry. This is one time when too little is better than too much.

Craig

jkeb
Same recipe but with baby bellas or crimini and duck breasts.  Rich as hell, so needs a fairly stout red:shiraz or Montepulciano.

pheasent 89
That sounds like a winner!!

seniorsetterguy

An old thread that I just saw...but I have to comment on it. A little over a year ago, Craig prepared and served this fine recipe at his home, for a few guests (I was lucky enough to be one of them). It's quite wonderful...even better than it sounds when you read the recipe. Not only is Craig a bird finder, but he's an excellent bird chef. This year he grilled some phez breasts...best I've ever tasted!!

Rob

500sks
Just made this recipe.  Used half and half and 7oz. of bacon.  The whole family loved it.  Thanks.  I will be making this for someone that doesn't like pheasant.  I think I can change his mind.

Peent
Doing this with ruffed grouse and knoedel instead of pheasant and rice.  Smells good so far!

North Dakota Hntr
Doing this with ruffed grouse and knoedel instead of pheasant and rice.  Smells good so far!

So, how did that go? Most excellent, I'm sure.

Craig

browndog
I went 2000 miles out of my way to meet Moni and have Craig's pheasant supreme...   and it was worth it ...  thanks Craig

North Dakota Hntr

Took the last pheasant out of the freezer last night and made this again. It's been a while and I forgot how much I love this dish as did everybody else at the table.

Craig

terrym
I still have a bunch to use up before the season opens. Trying this one on the weekend!!!