REGISTERING FOR MEMBERSHIP ON UPLAND JOURNAL Read more... ×
Sign in to follow this  
SydneyWI

The end?

Rex Hoppie

By recollection, my lips were saved but I lost a postage stamp size area from my tongue, that part I remember very well.

Ron, Your uncles pissing on his brother's lips and tongue to save him was fast thinking.  What could a brother say but thanks.

rprovines

Don't think the tongue was involved, but his lip was froze to the pump. They used to laugh about that whenever Devere was brought up. THink it was Darwin that did the saving.

Oh, llama, llama, duck.

redtop
Devere wouldn't tear his lips off so one of the older boys p!ssed on his lips to defrost them.

Ron  couldn't someone run in the house and get some warm water?

SydneyWI

· Posted on Jan. 21 2009,7:57

(rprovines @ Jan. 21 2009,12:30)

Devere wouldn't tear his lips off so one of the older boys p!ssed on his lips to defrost them.

Well sure, I suppose that would have worked, but the important thing to remember in a situation like that is to keep your head and not panic. You have to ask yourself, "This is going to be a funny story. How can I, in some way, make this funny story truly memorable?"

rprovines

Don't know. The old house was still standing here on the farm when Dad bought it. He let it stand a few years then tore it down and put a machine shed on the site. But it had a pump in it, too, so whether there'd been any water in a tea kettle or not, I don't know. It had a nice woodburning stove in it, I can recall it, Dad didn't even try to save it, wasn't popular to do in the 60's. You gotta remember, the time frame this happened would have been in the early to mid-1930's. Hell of a lot different back then, still had horse teams on the farm then, no indoor plumbing in the old house.

When Dad bought the place, up at the 'new' house, the one I grew up in, one of the woodburning stoves from the 'old' house they put down in the basement for emergencies. When the Palm Sunday tornados ripped through here in the 60's, we used that old thing. That old stove is still down there, rusting now, so far as I know never been used since the 60's. The old windmill was still standing when I was a kid, and right beside it the old smokehouse. Remember when Dad tore that down, the walls were double, and they'd used newspapers to insulate it wth. Probably have been worth a fortune these days.

I'm thinking that the old house that Dad did a lot of growing up in was probably built in the late 1800's.

Something else I'd like to go back and revisit with my older eyes now, bet a lot would look different.

Hey, if you can't envision those brothers doing that, then don't. I knew 'em, all but Devere, and it ain't even a  stretch to picture that with those guys.