REGISTERING FOR MEMBERSHIP ON UPLAND JOURNAL Read more... ×
Sign in to follow this  
SydneyWI

The end?

rprovines

I knew the thread was gone before my fishing pics.  Ya'll forgot I'm the TM.  Between being a stay at home dad and taking care of UJ, the Genius thread pushed the boundaries and I had to shut her down.  

Pr!ck.

Actually, it had to be Mitt Crawford's fault, but can you blame him? Think of the overwhelming burden it had become to him personally. Starting that thread, all those contributors contributing contributions, it had to be awful. Matt had to have other responsibilities in life to fulfill... the burden had to be tearing him apart. Nope, he had every right to grenade it.

Pr!ck.

Brad Eden

I understand that since this BB has been in existence for almost 7 years a certain amount of BB fatigue sets in with the same subject matter being discussed ad nauseam. What you may not understand is there is a constant flow of members drifting off and new members coming on board.

This is still an upland bird hunting site and was created to discuss subject matter relating to that--even if it gets old and stale and fodder for smarmyness and sarcasm for some.

I'm open for some suggestions on how to address the problem of BB fatigue for charter members who need an outlet such as mega threads. Fact is much of the content that is generated by these mega threads is simply inappropriate for a public forum and for a privately owned website.

I'm all ears.

Roost em 1st

I'm not a charter member. (I used to swill Old Charter, but no longer as it became to pricey.)

I don't have a problem with people posting annual questions, like pheasant loads, or retrievers vs setters. I just move along and read something else. The mega you squashed was surely most deserving Brad. I didn't see the end, but saw the means taking it there. You run a tight ship, some folks just got a little too tight, it happens. Seinfeld eventually ended.

Ben Hong
I'm open for some suggestions on how to address the problem of BB fatigue for charter members who need an outlet such as mega threads. Fact is much of the content that is generated by these mega threads is simply inappropriate for a public forum and for a privately owned website.

There are enough geniuses who used to habituate the mega thread, who are quite capable of starting their own website. Why can't they hive off and start a site dedicated to discussing whatever for as long as they want? That would leave the UJ as an open forum where members can enjoy other members' photos, dog questions, hunting stories, equipment questions, chokes and shot questions, and yes, even the odd spot of poetry. Isn't this what the UJ is all about, and isn't this why we joined and enjoy logging on every day???

ScottGrush
So did the Genius thread get closed?

Roost em 1st
Why can't they hive off and start a site dedicated to discussing whatever for as long as they want? That would leave the UJ as an open forum where members can enjoy other members' photos, dog questions, hunting stories, equipment questions, chokes and shot questions, and yes, even the odd spot of poetry. Isn't this what the UJ is all about, and isn't this why we joined and enjoy logging on every day???

Really? OK, I'll quit posting, just for you Ben. No sense in upsetting a charter member.

Rugerdog

I dunno if all who log on here could ALWAYS subscribe to the one or many neat little categories as you describe them above, Ben.

The UJ is many things to many people, but it's the UJ that binds us.

Sure, I may come here to completely F-off...Yes, I have been known to stray from the topics you describe, but the point is: There is no other place on the WWW that I'd rather be, and no other folks that I'd rather hang with, than those found herein.

SydneyWI

I always thought it at minimum served the purpose of keeping most of the smarta$$'s out of the type of threads Ben enjoys.

But then, I only listen to whatever Lon wants to say.

rprovines
Kill the General Discussions forum, pull this sucka back dead on track.

That seems fair.

I'm going to miss that thread...although I don't ever remember looking at it.

It was just nice knowing it was here...

RIP Genius Thread.

Brian.

NHBirddogger
There are enough geniuses who used to habituate the mega thread, who are quite capable of starting their own website. Why can't they hive off and start a site dedicated to discussing whatever for as long as they want? That would leave the UJ as an open forum where members can enjoy other members' photos, dog questions, hunting stories, equipment questions, chokes and shot questions, and yes, even the odd spot of poetry. Isn't this what the UJ is all about, and isn't this why we joined and enjoy logging on every day???

I think that comment is uncalled for. Everyone can choose to read what they want. It is true that the edge was pushed.

It may be another opportunity for a members only section on the site?

SydneyWI

That would leave the UJ as an open forum where members can enjoy other members' photos, dog questions, hunting stories, equipment questions, chokes and shot questions, and yes, even the odd spot of poetry.

Help me out here, I honestly don't see how a mega thread hinders that from happening. Am I missing something?

And yes, I am being serious. Not trying to pick an argument, I obviously am not seeing something here. I know a lot of people were bothered by the existence of the Genius thread, (admittedly I am bothered by bailout, wind power and Big Oil threads, I just choose not to participate in them. Anymore.) and I am wondering exactly how, if they didn't participate, it kept them from enjoying everything else UJ has to offer? You may be suprised to know that I also enjoyed those topics you mentioned Ben, along with the Genius thread.

I'll leave that subject alone after this, the last thing I want to do is stir up a bunch of trouble over something as trivial IMO (maybe that's the problem?) as this.

Besides, blame Crawford, it's all his fault anyway!

I'm definitely newer around here, and maybe I'm not aware of all this history behind this issue on this board, but I moderate another board, and am pretty active on several others.

My .02 - if there is something being posted that violates the stated rules of the forum, take it up with the person who posted it. If they continue to do it and clearly don't care about the rules, kick 'em off. Providing everyone was made aware of the rules (which seem pretty clear to me on this board), the moderators of the board are justified in enforcing that if they choose. But again - this is a content issue, so hold that individual responsible.

But I fail to see how people can actually be bothered just by the mere existence of a thread, whether it's 2 pages long or 800. As already stated, if you don't like the content of one thread, there are lots of other threads to read and participate in. One of the things that attracted me to this board, and why I keep coming back, is because UJ certainly has lots of great info, sharing of opinions, experiences, etc. related to the topic at hand, but it also has more than that, and it's the spectrum of hunting-related topics, combined with random humor, occasional off-the-wall topics, and especially a diversity of intelligent opinions (a rarity on most other hunting boards I see), that make this place a lot more interesting than most of the other boring boards out there.

So to sum up, I think that with the way this board is structured, there are lots of specific categories for hunting-related topics if that's what you're looking for (and I like that), so I don't mind that the "General Discussion" category is a mixed bag of randomness (in fact, I like that too).

Ben Hong

I think that comment is uncalled for. Everyone can choose to read what they want. It is true that the edge was pushed.

It may be another opportunity for a members only section on the site?

Why is this "uncalled for"? Everything I said was positive for everybody. You can read whatever and whenever you want, as I did not advocate banning or ousting anyone or even singling out a particular group, all I said is that we leave the UJ as is for "everyone" and if Brad deems that a long meandering thread  has the potential to wend it's way towards  "taboo" topics, he has to "moderate" it. If there are complaints about,  Brad's moderating style, and there are, my suggestion to start a separate  site would serve to eliminate these complaints and have your own playground.

As for pushing the envelop, I seldom venture into the  thread

in question so I know not of which you speak, but it reinforces my observation that there was work for the moderator.

SydneyWI

I will place a pretty large wager that you will not find a single participant in the Genius thread who holds a grudge with Brad for shutting it down. It's his board and I agree to play by his rules, and don't complain when they are enforced.

Anyway, on to new and better threads. Certainly didn't intend for this to be a place to put the recently deceased Genius thread on trial. There will be defenders and prosecuters of it and nothing will be resolved, people will get worked up and Brad's blood pressure will spike ever higher until we finally push him over the edge and he sells this sucker. I think we all agree that isn't something we would want to see.