FRIENDLY REMINDER ABOUT HUNTING REPORTS/TOPICS... Read more... ×
Breakfast Boy

OFFICIAL THREAD FOR UJ PIPE SMOKERS!

Bloodhound
I'll second the tobacco info request.  I have been smoking the shop mix/blend for a while now...I would welcome some info of something good

Fin2Feather

Can you describe that tobbac a bit?  I've never heard of it but the name is intriguing.

It's a Virginia based blend with Latakia and some Oriental overtones, but not as heavy as a lot of English blends.  Very smooth, a nice spicy aftertaste, wonderful aroma in the tin.  To me it just smells and tastes like autumn; it's like what pipe tobacco ought to be, but seldom is!

Fin2Feather

What is the official drink of pipe smokers...the cigar smokers seem to have laid claim to scotch...do we pipe smokers drink bourbon, brandy, gin, vodka????

I like a little Makers Mark or Ezra Brooks with a nice bowl full and some quiet time on the deck...

According to Gene Hill, it oughta be bourbon in a glass with ducks on it with a dash of Angostura bitters.  But I have to admit to being a scotch drinker  :blush:

calgaryrookie
would not have a problem smoking another man's pipe.

Ben, is that the admission that ended your military career?  :p  :laugh:

Briarscratch

I've enjoyed smoking a good pipe on the way home from the last day's covert.  I don't do it as much anymore though.  I can't stop from inhaling and before too long I'm wheezing my way through the dogwoods.   And I can't get my favorite blend anymore.  We had a local shoppe that had a blend called 20th Maine - I still crave it from time to time.

I'll see if I can dig up a photo of my favorite pipe tonight.

jmooney
I've enjoyed smoking a good pipe on the way home from the last day's covert.  I don't do it as much anymore though.  I can't stop from inhaling and before too long I'm wheezing my way through the dogwoods.   And I can't get my favorite blend anymore.  We had a local shoppe that had a blend called 20th Maine - I still crave it from time to time.

I'll see if I can dig up a photo of my favorite pipe tonight.

Is the shop still around?  If it had a name like that it was probably one of Lane Limited's Bulk Blends.  If you could ask them, they'd probably tell you which one it is and you could source it from somewhere else.

Just a thought.

Briarscratch
The guy who owned it was a retired firefighter and he ended up selling it after a few years.  He had some great blends - 20th Maine, Army of the Potomac.....he was a bit of a Civil War buff.   He said people drove from an hour away just to get his blends and I don't doubt it.  Now the place is a barber shop and all traces fine tobaccy are long gone.

Breakfast Boy
The guy who owned it was a retired firefighter and he ended up selling it after a few years.  He had some great blends - 20th Maine, Army of the Potomac.....he was a bit of a Civil War buff.   He said people drove from an hour away just to get his blends and I don't doubt it.  Now the place is a barber shop and all traces fine tobaccy are long gone.

Sounds like you need to go on a quest Jeff.  Smoke all of the blends out there until you find it again.  LOL!

12ette

How many out there smoke a corn cob?  

I have found I really like mine.  I would say that with English type tobaccos they are just perfect.  

$2.97 about 10% of my most expensive pipe and smokes every bit as good.

jmooney
How many out there smoke a corn cob?  

I have found I really like mine.  I would say that with English type tobaccos they are just perfect.  

$2.97 about 10% of my most expensive pipe and smokes every bit as good.

I smoked a cob for quite a few years.  In fact I have a special affinity for cobs, at one point in my life things weren't going well so I grabbed a cob and a pouch of the Captain and went for a walk to think.  Turns out I walked for about 4 hours without know it but I figured a lot out during that walk.

Actually for someone getting started, you are better off with a cob than a $10 drug store pipe.  Stick with the cob and then move up a decent pipe.

Rex Hoppie
I have a nice Dr Grabow.  It is around here somewhere.

Breakfast Boy

I've got a Missouri Meerschaum cob pipe.  Bought it for less than 5 bucks at Walgreen's.  I was told to put a light coat of honey on the inside of the bowl and let it dry.  Helps sweeten the taste just a little bit and aids in building up that "cake" on the inside of the bowl.  Smokes even better now.

Missouri Meerschaum pipes have some interesting history, if anyone wants to check 'em out....

Missouri Meerschaum

Bede
Speaking of other people's pipes AKA estate pipes, what, if anything, do you guys do to clean or prep them before smoking?

ECS responded with "grain alcohol." If he is referring to Everclear, or something that is 200 proof, that isn't the best choice.

70% ethanol (140proof) is a better disinfectant than the straight stuff. No need to use hooch, just pick up some 70% ethanol at the pharmacy.

Bede

Breakfast Boy

You guys (and gals) may remember that I sent off my grandpa's old pipe to be repaired.  I sent it to Wayne Teipen of Teipen Handmade Briar Pipes in Cloverdale, IN.  Wayne did an excellent job of replacing the stem, re-gluing the metal cap, buffing/waxing the exterior and cleaning the inside.  The pipe is just about like knew.  Cost was $20 (plus shipping).  I'm really happy with the work and this pipe is absolutely priceless to me.  Here are some pics of how it looks now...

Grandpaspipenow.jpg

Grandpaspipenow2.jpg