• Announcements

• Brad Eden

TO THOSE REGISTERING FOR MEMBERSHIP ON UJ   01/06/2018

To the Guests who have decided to register for Membership. PLEASE read Terms of Service, not just checking it off. This is covered there: Add more info than just "hunting" or "Upland hunting" or "birds" or "outdoors" or similar nebulous terms in the required INTERESTS field. Despite this Boards strong spam filtering function, some Spam registrations do sneak through. I need an inkling that you are a human being not a Spam Bot tagging onto key words. Also please do not use a business name as your User Name. Thank you.
Breakfast Boy

OFFICIAL THREAD FOR UJ PIPE SMOKERS!

Bob Blair
On the advice of my attorney, my vintage pipe collection from the late 1960's and 1970's cannot be photographed and if photographed, cannot be shown to anyone or discussed. Especially with those with ties to any type of law enforcement.  :cool:   ???

jmooney
On the advice of my attorney, my vintage pipe collection from the late 1960's and 1970's cannot be photographed and if photographed, cannot be shown to anyone or discussed. Especially with those with ties to any type of law enforcement.  :cool:   ???

For some reason I have the Star Wars music stuck in my head now.  You know:

Bong Bong Bong - Bong ba Bong Bong ba Bong

jmooney
You guys (and gals) may remember that I sent off my grandpa's old pipe to be repaired.  I sent it to Wayne Teipen of Teipen Handmade Briar Pipes in Cloverdale, IN.  Wayne did an excellent job of replacing the stem, re-gluing the metal cap, buffing/waxing the exterior and cleaning the inside.  The pipe is just about like knew.  Cost was $20 (plus shipping).  I'm really happy with the work and this pipe is absolutely priceless to me.  Here are some pics of how it looks now...

Grandpaspipenow.jpg

Grandpaspipenow2.jpg

That turned out really nice BB.  I have one or two of my grandfather's pipes too.  In my roll away in the garage I have his "yard pipe".  He loved to do yard work and gardening and this is the one he kept around for that.   Whenever he was working this pipe was always stuck in a crook in a tree or on top of a nearby fencepost so he could take 5 and think things over.  

I once read a book about building wooden boats and the author, an accomplished boatbuilder, said his two most important building tools in a boatshop were a chair and a pipe.  When things weren't fitting, or some sort of problem arose he would light his pipe and sit on the chair  and look it over and the answer would present itself.

I think the world would be a much better place if everyone would occasionally light a pipe and take 5 minutes to think things over....

Breakfast Boy

Amen, brother Jim!  Last October when I told my wife I wanted to get a pipe, she asked me...

"Why do you want a pipe??  You already have cigars."

I replied "Because in my mind a cigar is for celebrating something.  But a pipe is for contemplating and reminiscing!"

I definitely like the way smoking a pipe makes me slow down and reflect on things.

Red Stripe Rod

an accomplished boatbuilder, said his two most important building tools in a boatshop were a chair and a pipe.  When things weren't fitting, or some sort of problem arose he would light his pipe and sit on the chair  and look it over and the answer would present itself.

I do the exact same thing with cigars when I build bamboo fly rods.  My rule of thumb: If the cigar goes out, I'm working too hard".

Don Steese
That settles it! I'm taking it up again! I smoked a pipe for most of my adult life and quit a few years ago. Didn't miss it much until lately. I'm going pipe shopping ASAP!!

Rex Hoppie
That settles it! I'm taking it up again! I smoked a pipe for most of my adult life and quit a few years ago. Didn't miss it much until lately. I'm going pipe shopping ASAP!!

I have been looking at pipes they have over at CNS.

Bloodhound
Don...Rex...Did you buy a pipe...what did you get...pics?

Breakfast Boy

Bringing this back to the top to see what everyone has been smoking lately.

Had to do some work outside, since the weather was cooperating, and smoked a bowl of the local shop's "Columbian Mocha" out of my cob pipe.  Was quite a sweet smoke out of that cob.

12ette

With recommendations from this forum I have been smoking Lane's "1Q" and "Shortcut to Mushrooms".   The Shortcut is brilliant. the creamy flavor is wonderful.    

As for pipes, the cob pipes have been getting the most work.  What a great smoke they provide.

Breakfast Boy

On the message board for the local pipe club that I belong to, I asked for some blend suggestions for an upcoming trip to Montana.  I'll be bowhunting antelope in Montana for a week in August.  A group of us, including my recently turned bowhunter wife, will be staying in a cabin that has a nice big front porch.  So, I have every intention of packing along my pipe and a tin of tobaccy.  Then I'll be watching the Montana prairie sunset with a good smoke from the front porch.  Needles to say, a special blend is needed for this trip.  I'm looking for an aromatic that will please the senses for the non-smokers on the trip.  Any suggestions?

A friend suggested this one...

Honey and Chocolate

Just looking for an aromatic that isn't goopy or wet and smokes like tobacco should.

12ette

I recently had a Maple Rum that was brilliant.  It did "sour"  if I smoked too fast lots of tar seemed to accumulate.

I would echo the Shortcut to Mushrooms, smell a lot like earth pine when burning.  

I was smoking a "Black Cathy" also "Midnight" this was black and thick, I liked it a lot.  Cool smoking.

"Black Russian" too was very nice, a staple in the house.

Breakfast Boy

Smoked some cherry/vanilla from the local tobacco shop.  Not bad.

What kind of tobacco do you guys prefer?  Aromatics, for example, seem to be what I prefer thus far.

12ette
What kind of tobacco do you guys prefer?  Aromatics, for example, seem to be what I prefer thus far.

It depends on my mood and what I am doing.

Outside fishing or just walking about in the woods, I love the "Shortcut to Mushrooms"  Good honest tobacco, I think it qualifies as an aromatic though, there are mushrooms in it.  If you have not tried this, you must.  It was a tip from a UJ pipe smoker.

On the way to work or just relaxing I like Lane Limited's 1Q (thank you Mr. Mooney) and the now discontinued LL7.  

The "Peach Melba" is a fast favorite, just a damn good flavorful, easy to pack, smoke.  Had a large bowl this morning... just seemed right.  Kept me calm through the commute.  

I have been looking for a good cherry or apple smoke.  Most I have tried get bitter fast.  Any tips I am all in.

Breakfast Boy
I have been looking for a good cherry or apple smoke.  Most I have tried get bitter fast.  Any tips I am all in.

According to tobaccoreviews.com (and others I have spoke to) Boswell's Berry Cobbler is a great smoke.  I'm going to get some soon.  Might have to see if they have Shortcut to Mushrooms too.  Check out this link and view their blends.  But also click on the new pipes for sale and look at pipe number 16.  It sold overnight, as I was looking at it last night, but it's made with a shotgun shell.  Pretty cool.

Boswell Pipes