• Announcements

• Brad Eden

TO THOSE REGISTERING FOR MEMBERSHIP ON UJ   01/06/2018

To the Guests who have decided to register for Membership. PLEASE read Terms of Service, not just checking it off. This is covered there: Add more info than just "hunting" or "Upland hunting" or "birds" or "outdoors" or similar nebulous terms in the required INTERESTS field. Despite this Boards strong spam filtering function, some Spam registrations do sneak through. I need an inkling that you are a human being not a Spam Bot tagging onto key words. Also please do not use a business name as your User Name. Thank you.
Breakfast Boy

OFFICIAL THREAD FOR UJ PIPE SMOKERS!

ccavacini

Neat little pipe.  Pocket pipe.  Stem folds to make it even smaller.  Will go into my hunting vest.

0109181604.jpg

ccavacini

....continued....stem open.  

0109181604a.jpg

Fin2Feather

I was wondering if anyone was ever gonna reopen this thread!  Nice pocket pipe; I had one made by Ropp years ago but it went away during a herd thinning a few years back.  Mine even had a little soft case.  Pretty grain on yours; mine was rather plain

Here's my latest gift to myself, a Peterson B5 c. 1970's.  There's a long story I won't bore you with about why I wanted this particular pipe from this particular era and I finally found one...

JdJpsPUl.jpg

The second one is a pipe of my father's that had laid in my desk drawer for years; the original stem which was amber had totally disintegrated.  I finally sent it to a pipe restorer who  did a pretty good job matching the original stem color, made a new bone screw for it, etc.  Even though I don't smoke it much it's nice to have it back in the rack and functional again.  THat's my dad c. 1929 with his brand new Model A Ford, along with his father's watch...

CfRBYkTl.jpg 

ccavacini

Two good looking pipes.  I like the watch and its fob too.  Some day I"ll have a Peterson.

Bloodhound

Well...like a bad penny this thread is back :)  Great looking pocket pipe and the Bulldogs are beautiful. 

This is my latest.  it is a COMOY St. James Billiard.  It was an auction find and came to me with an oxidized stem and the finish so cruddy you couldn't see the grain...turned out to be a nice hunk of briar.

20180125_220113.jpg

ccavacini

How did you clean it up?  The grain is beautiful.

bigjohnsd

My Dad used to smoke a pipe, I was going through some boxes and came across this brand new David P. Ehrlich Briar pipe which as far as I can recollect he received as a gift around 1976 which is just after he quit smoking.

20180126_134651-253x450.jpg

20180126_134637-253x450.jpg20180126_134629-253x450.jpg

I do not smoke, As many UJ'ers are from the New England area, and the David P. Ehrlich Company was long a stalwart of Boston, I thought that there might be some value to one of you.

Make me an offer if you are interested

Bloodhound
58 minutes ago, ccavacini said:

How did you clean it up?  The grain is beautiful.

The stem was gentle scrubbing with a green scouring pad, the wood was a soft cotton work towel with denatured alcohol till it was cleaned up.  then the salt treatment and then olive oil.

ccavacini
1 hour ago, bigjohnsd said:

My Dad used to smoke a pipe, I was going through some boxes and came across this brand new David P. Ehrlich Briar pipe which as far as I can recollect he received as a gift around 1976 which is just after he quit smoking.

20180126_134651-253x450.jpg

20180126_134637-253x450.jpg20180126_134629-253x450.jpg

I do not smoke, As many UJ'ers are from the New England area, and the David P. Ehrlich Company was long a stalwart of Boston, I thought that there might be some value to one of you.

Make me an offer if you are interested

John, found this.  I really like the "pipe makers, not plumbers."

This is in keeping with a catalogue statement: “we have never ceased to regard smoking as an exquisite pleasure, rather than a mere habit." Another of the principles of the firm is embodied in the observation: "we are pipe makers - not plumbers. There are no tricky gadgets in Ehrlich pipes." But when a man drops his pipe, the makers will transform themselves into repairmen in a highly efficient manner. 

phonefly

Enjoying the thread!  Love a pipe.  BUT!  Last visit to the eye dr. he says "you are developing glaucoma --- got to give up your pipe.  Smoking a pipe your odds of glaucoma are greater than normal."

ccavacini
9 hours ago, phonefly said:

Enjoying the thread!  Love a pipe.  BUT!  Last visit to the eye dr. he says "you are developing glaucoma --- got to give up your pipe.  Smoking a pipe your odds of glaucoma are greater than normal."

Damn