Breakfast Boy

OFFICIAL THREAD FOR UJ PIPE SMOKERS!

1971snipe
21 hours ago, Fin2Feather said:

For many years I have made a Christmas tradition of smoking a pipeful in my clay churchwarden; sort of a nod to a traditional Victorian Christmas.  For the same number of years the tobacco I've chosen has been Mac Baren Plumcake, for no other reason than - I don't know - it just seemed lie something that might have followed the goose and trimmings around the fire back in those days...

Mph6xQgl.jpg

But yesterday I got a blurb from smokingpipes.com offering their holiday tobacco, C&D's Corn Cob Pipe (& a Button Nose).  Ordered up a tin.  It will still be my churchwarden, but I'll have a new tobacco in it...

MVxnbxBl.jpg

Very nice sentiment, and very nice pipe.  I still don't have a churchwarden, much less a clay one.  

But I also ordered a tin of the c&d holiday blend.  I get a tin every year, it's usually a pretty good smoke, for an aromatic.  

ccavacini
On 10/29/2019 at 5:41 PM, ccavacini said:

Ordered this. I'll let everyone know how it smokes.

G. L. Pease Virginia Cream Pipe Tobacco
(Size: 2 oz.)

TP-2187A1$11.05 USD$11.05 USD

Had my first smoke.  I like this tobacco.  I'll buy it again.

Bloodhound

I know several who smoke and like C&D's Corn Cob Pipe (& a Button Nose).  Peretti - Thanksgiving Day is also out for this season...it is outstanding if you are looking for a non-aromatic

Swampy 16

I’d like to know what to use to clean the outside of my bowl. After a couple months of stuffing it into the bag of tobacco to load it it’s covered with a sticky residue. I don’t wanna hurt the finish so I’m asking here.

Bloodhound
2 hours ago, Swampy 16 said:

I’d like to know what to use to clean the outside of my bowl. After a couple months of stuffing it into the bag of tobacco to load it it’s covered with a sticky residue. I don’t wanna hurt the finish so I’m asking here.

I use a cotton cloth wetted with some warm water and if needed a mild dish soap.  A good wax to polish it up and good as new.  you can get a good wax from most pipe shops, or on line. 

Swampy 16

They make wax for pipes? What about furniture polish ?

Bullwinkle

Murphy's Oil Soap

MAArcher
2 hours ago, Swampy 16 said:

Depends on what the finish is that's on there.   If its just carnauba or bees wax, then you're stuck, clean it with whatever, vodka maybe, then buff on another coat of wax with buffing wheels (one to apply the wax, the other to shine).   Most custom pipe makers are super secretive about the finish they use and when I was making pipes I couldn't even find a good recipe online and always just used carnauba wax.  I have buffing wheels for my lathe so it was easy to just take two minutes and make a pipe look like new.  If its a lacquer finish of some sort then you can probably just use a cloth dampened with warm water.  A mild soap to if you want but I would be careful with that; I wouldn't want to get any soap the bowl and create an off taste.    

But I thought most guys just like to let the pipe patina?  Maybe you should be a little more careful with how you load the pipe if its getting that bad that quick?  

When I bought used pipes off eBay I cleaned the exterior with a buffing wheel and some jewelers rouge then wax and polish.   I never bought a really dirty pipe though.

Bloodhound
1 hour ago, Swampy 16 said:

They make wax for pipes? What about furniture polish ?

I try to keep it to "Food-Safe" products for use on my pipes.  The waxes that are available, olive oil and the like.  I don't know if Murphy's is food-safe or not. 

MAArcher gives some great info.

Swampy 16

Ok try cleaning it with warm water first.