working overtime
    • working part time
      working overtime
    • laid off
      working overtime
    • retired
      working overtime

NW-Gsp
It has hit just about everyone so I was just wondering how all the UJ members are holding up.

gundogpa

The whole company is down to 32 hours.

I am still working 50.....just getting paid for 32.

At least I have a job.......although I am getting sick of saying that.

mshowman
As a supervisor/manager I'm expected to do more with less while keeping staff morale high, even after they were told their wages had been frozen for the year. It's exhausting but makes the long days go faster.

DGilmore

I started my own company with four other guys last May.  One of the guys, the principal investor, lied to us and tried to change the game. We dissolved the company.  One week later, the market crashed.  I formed my company while all this was happening.  

How am I doing? I have some work, but it's thin - all either environmental consulting or legal work. The other part of my business, geotechnical engineering, is deader than Edgar Allan Poe.  For the first time since 1983, I know civil engineers and geotechnical engineers and structural engineers who want to work but don't have jobs.

Interesting times. It's not as bad as the 1977 to 1983 period, but it's on its way.  With the lack of responsible leadership in government right now, it is REALLY worrisome...and that comment is not meant towards just the President and his party, but also to the minority party up there in the District.

WPG Gizmo

Self employed in the building market and there is no building going on :down:   Been looking for full time work over the past month and there is no openings around :down:  From what I have seen and talking to folks I know if a carpenter opening come up there are 100-200 people in line for it.  The downside for me is that jobs I had lined up for spring into summer are now gone due to the economy taking a dive.  Folks just dont have the money to do the things they want anymore.  Started a remodeling job end of Jan worked there 10 days before they owners figured out that they were in way over their head money wise and they stopped all construction.

Ya times are hard for sure and they are going to get worse :down:

Remo
I am self employed and my wife is still working too, but income is off about 50 % and net worth down about 30%. My business depends on replacement parts and restocking inventory has gone from 3 days to a one month turn around. It's like watching ice form around you while you stand in it. Still we feel very fortunate compared to the loss others are facing.

browndog
I'm retired but my life's saving (liquid) are now at 54% of 6 months ago ...  I may have to go back to work ... or cut out the treks..

I guide for half the year and work from home the other half. The work from home hasn't changed at all, and from what I've been hearing, we're getting lots of interest in people booking trips for the guiding season. Same goes for some other outfitters in the area that I've talked with. Go figure. All I can guess is that there are people who would have gone to Italy for a month in a strong economy and now they're opting to do a trip domestically instead. But I'm curious to see how the season actually ends up panning out...

One big bennie of the economy going down the tubes is that mortgage rates have dropped a lot, and we were able to re-fi and take 1.5% off our rate. Our monthly payments will drop significantly, which definitely takes some stress off.

KYWindage

I am a retired state employee (Wildlife Biologist) but I have also been laid off from a part time job as a tour guide which for the past four years has paid for guns, equipment and trips. Its a good thing that we are not dependent on investments yet as they are in the tubes like everyone else's.

My wife is still working for the Dept. of Fish and Wildlife Resources and plans to stay another seven years.  In addition I will start collecting Social Security in June so we are better off than most.

henryrski
It ain't helping fees.  :(

ANF grousin
Still enough work for me although it has slowed.  Being in the consulting business, we always have our up and down periods, this is no different..... yet.

Lars
Was hoping to just wind down working part time from here on out but like everyone else we took a big hit. Would like to find full time employment now.

bobman

I'm healthy ( too fat but healthy) my wife is also ( not fat :D ) my kids are healthy and doing well in school

I'll work through it with the help of my friends on UJ and my dogs companionship

roysetters3
I'm retired and so far, the Md State Retirement System isn't talking about what losses they've sustained in their investment portfolio. I have investments that have lost value but I don't depend on those so am riding it out so far. My wife is a high school chemistry teacher. Her school system is faced with drastic cuts in state aid and is talking layoffs and paycuts. This is the state that ranks dead last, 50th, in per pupil spending. The ironic thing is, while most of the congressional representatives and both of our senators voted against the stimulus, the state legislature (we are essentially a one party state here, guess which one) has written into the budget all of the expected stimulus money, claiming utter financial ruin unless we get that money. So our elected federal reps voted against it, but our elected state reps are desperate to have it. Everybody (almost) in the same political party. Kind of like cutting our own throats while we're begging for a blood transfusion. Don't you iust love politics?

I was laid off the day before Thanksgiving, since there is not much call for a senior land surveying technician right now.  

The most interesting part of this whole ordeal is dealing with unemployment.  I have been going back to school the last three years to get the degree that will allow me to get licensed as a Land Surveyor.  I am in my last semester and since I would not lie on the application for unemployment, it has been determined that I am ineligible for benefits.  The question that I would not lie on was, would you quit school to take a any job.  I answered no, since I am in my last semester and that would mean wasting about $2500 in tuition.  I talked with someone at unemployment and she told me I should have said yes, since she was sure I would quit school it someone offered my $50 an hour.  I just laughed at her, there is no way a land surveyor technician in central Minnesota is going to $100,000 a year.

I have pretty much lost any faith in the government (lost that years ago) and the majority of the American people.  I can not understand how we could have elected the government that we have and be happy about it.  How can we sit here and just bail everyone out that has made bad decisions.  While the governments answer is just more earmark spending.  It should not surprise me all that much since my state of Minnesota is going to end up with Franken.

Maybe if all those top level Democrats would have paid their taxes we would not be in this mess.