working overtime
    • working part time
      working overtime
    • laid off
      working overtime
    • retired
      working overtime

gar-dog
My income was down 75% in 2008, but as a structured finance guy I am just lucky to have a job and earn a base salary.   We managed to close a big deal already this year, and my cut will make this year good.   More than half of my industry peers are unemployed or very underemployed.  I also had a decent gig as an expert witness which helped fill some of 2008's big hole.

gundogpa
looks like 10% unemployment here accoding to the poll......that's worse than the going rate in the country.

TJC

I voted working full time but actually in 5 months I will be retired.  

Don't have to but I am going to.  With my yrs and pension, I can make as much sitting home as I do going to work.  So why go?

I will try to find something P/T to keep myself busy but probably not until this time next year.  

I've been lucky in my job and feel sorry for those that are out of work or cut back due to no fault of their own.  

I hope all are back to work fairly soon.  I have friends that have been laid off and cannot find work in their fields.  Some are looking elsewhere to change their jobs.  It certainly is not easy and won't be any time soon I fear.

wingnut

The wife and I are both still Employed. But making less money. Having G.M close down the truck plant in town has got everybody around here afaid to spend money. I work at the local Chevrolet Cadillac dealership as an auto tech and things are slower. But I've away beleived in keeping life simple and not getting in over my head with debt. Life is still very good.  I got money tucked away for that new 20ga. grouse/woodcock shotgun as soon as Benelli unvails the vinci. I would have bought an ultralight by now but I'm waiting to see what the vinci is.

God Bless to all Dan

fagans?

yes Fagans

NW-Gsp

the company I work for just laid off three guys, Im kinda lucky where Im In the position where they really need me due to how versatile I am in what I can do for the company ( I work for a place that sells landscaping stone,boulders,building stone,tile,slate,flagstone,granite and marble countertops) I mainly do sellsman work but I do drive the forklift, restack stone, and do stone fabricating Ive workd there for almost six years along with being a volunteer firefighter in the meantime. I have been testing to be a fulltime firefighter and have alsot been testing for law enforcement but most citys are not hireing anyone at this time.

good luck to all of you,

Dave Rose
looks like 10% unemployment here accoding to the poll......that's worse than the going rate in the country.

And not all of us have voted. I haven't had a job since the end of Dec.

dirtdog
the company I work for just laid off three guys, Im kinda lucky where Im In the position where they really need me due to how versatile I am in what I can do for the company ( I work for a place that sells landscaping stone,boulders,building stone,tile,slate,flagstone,granite and marble countertops) I mainly do sellsman work but I do drive the forklift, restack stone, and do stone fabricating Ive workd there for almost six years along with being a volunteer firefighter in the meantime. I have been testing to be a fulltime firefighter and have alsot been testing for law enforcement but most citys are not hireing anyone at this time.

good luck to all of you,

Have you tried the Federal Government? There is still a lot of Federal law Enforcement Agencies hiring. Check out this website http://www.usajobs.opm.gov/ you can also find Federal Firefighter jobs there as well.

Good luck,

Jay

Hello

My wife and I are Gov, employees. The big positive factor was leaving Maine. It has saved us on high taxes and the utility bills have decreased by 80%.

Moved to NM, and really like the " NO SNOW", and the great bird hunting.

If we stayed in Maine it would have greatly effected us in a negative, BIG, way.

Thanks,

JL

Tiger MT's Carter

My wife and I are both still working. The company I work for laid off people last month and the company my wife works for is laying people off at this time. With any luck we will both continue to have jobs.

We have lost a tremendous about of money in our 401k plans as well as investments that are not qualified money. We are lucky and have enough cash in the bank that we could live several months if we lost our jobs.

calgaryrookie
Touch wood, but everything OK so far. No layoffs at our company. In fact, we are still hiring and haven't cut a dollar from this year's capital program. It's still full-steam ahead. I don't know anyone who has been laid off, though I hear there have been some in the city, mostly in the upstream companies. The banks are still solid. It doesn't seem much worse than other slow-downs I've seen.

Trappercase
Staples canceled their Presidents Club so our trip to Spain is a wash.  Could be worse.  They did give my wife $3000 and three days vacation instead.

Uplander
Staples canceled their Presidents Club so our trip to Spain is a wash.  Could be worse.  They did give my wife $3000 and three days vacation instead.

Bummer.  But, that's pretty much enough $ for you two to go yourselves for about a week if you travel "Lonely Planet" style.

tmoneysju
I consider myself and my wife lucky that we've been untouched thus far.  However I don't expect that to last all that much longer.  It seems every week the news around the company gets scarier, the latest is that furloughs and salary reductions are being discussed.  It's only natural progression that layoffs come next.  Working in the financial industry is about as rough as it gets I think.  Luckily I'm in more of an IT role so if things really go south I'm not stuck with one industry.  That doesn't help though if no industries are hiring.

If they tell me "one more time" here at work that I'm "this close" to losing my job...I'm gonna freak'n quit.

Brian.

Gerald

I am a contract firefighter over in Iraq but my wife doesn't work as she is finishing school and taking care of the kids back home.  My current contract is up the first of July and I was hoping to get to come home and stay, but it's not looking like that may be possible.  Things in Iraq is going to winding down soon, so I am not sure how long I may still be able to stay over here anyways.  I have to wait until the end of June before I know if I am going to get re-contracted to stay in Iraq.

Afghanistan will soon be gearing up for a long term US presence.  Contractors are building bases to house both military and contract labor.  Once that is done then there should be lots of jobs opening up there.  I may have to spend some time there as well.

For those of you that may be so inclined, there are lots of contract companies with many overseas contracts that need people.  Pay is usually good, with decent tax breaks back home.  You just have to sacrifice lots of time away from your family and watch your back (depending on where you may end up).  That being said, after two years of this I sure would like to get home to stay.  Hopefully this recession won't last too much longer.