REGISTERING FOR MEMBERSHIP ON UPLAND JOURNAL Read more... ×
Sign in to follow this  
Brad Eden

Sentiments on Killing

John

Wont lie, I enjoy the kill and the chase.  The kills and those moments right around it, you know when you know you will get the shot, and you do what you do to remain steady to the point a few min after you collect the quarry.

I love as much the rush of when cody first gets out of the car and he is wired up, and then when he brings that first bird or points the first bird of the day, its a very different rush from going after a deer, or shooting yotes.

Its about the  absolute rush, and I love it.

Scotty -

While this thread may have been inspired by your elephant post, I don't see it as "pointing a big red arrow" at you at all. I think it's interesting to hear from different perspectives. Obviously, everyone on here hunts, which means that in one way or another, we've all made our peace with killing, though what that actually comes down to is going to depend on where you, as an individual, draw the line. That doesn't mean that everyone has to share the same motivation.

Personally, I don't see any "ethics police" going on. Also, I'm from one of the reddest states in the country, but I think the "little blue states" comment is a bit of a cheap shot. People hunt for lots of different reasons, and whether I lived in Idaho or California or New Hampshire or Texas, I doubt my reasons would be all that different. Stereotyping anyone who doesn't believe in killing everything that moves as less of a hunter, or as some sort of poser, is kind of narrow-minded, imo.

Bottom line is there is a diversity of opinion on here, and as long as we all maintain a baseline of respect for that, I think it's a good thing. But if you feel like you don't want to hang around here anymore just because people have different views on the nature and extent of the killing that they're personally motivated to do, then I guess a board where everyone thinks alike would be the alternative...

Brad Eden

Scottyboy--its not all about you. I started this Topic to let off some steam generated from the Big Game Topics. I can do that without your written permission. Now you seem to want to hijack this one. You should be proud of your many hunting accomplishments instead of being combative, defensive and insulting. Why not articulate your stance?

But hey, I'm just a provincial old grouse hunter from ME running a board devoted to upland bird hunting. Like I said in my last post written before I even read yours I pass no judgment and hope that your journey is one that brings you personal satisfaction and peace of mind.

Godspeed. The lights are always on, the coffee lukewarm and the bar flies always amusing.

Russell
Scottyboy--its not all about you. I started this Topic to let off some steam generated from the Big Game Topics. I can do that without your written permission. Now you seem to want to hijack this one. You should be proud of your many hunting accomplishments instead of being combative, defensive and insulting. Why not articulate your stance?

But hey, I'm just a provincial old grouse hunter from ME running a board devoted to upland bird hunting. Like I said in my last post written before I even read yours I pass no judgment and hope that your journey is one that brings you personal satisfaction and peace of mind.

I think you hit the nail on the head. "Old" is the word that allows your lazy butt to stay in bed while that buck is sneaking along the ridge or that Tom is gobbling on his roost. Man, you need to recrute a youngin to help you get some more spring in you step.  :D

Roost em 1st

Glad I read what Bruce and Brad said before I "hit"reply, so it's somewhat edited. I won't pile on (too much more) Scotty, but if you must think its all about you (you should have said BLUE arrow pointing at you for your effect) I will address you in particular. You need to spend the some time away, fine, but try to see what the whole picture is. Casting stereotypes(as Bruce also mentioned, bastid must type faster than me) is not ever wise. What if I said, "Real hunters use a bow and hunt public land without a guide."

"Guys who hunt exotics in TX or Africa using a tracker, guide, and vehicle are poseurs?" You'd call bs and explain what all you put into the prep of a safari, or trek up a craggy mountain to kill a goat from 350 yards.

Sure a few members from 'blue' states (funny how you choose to divide things, is that a Texas thing?) don't share your enthusiasm for killing an ele. Why the heck do you care? More folks seemed to be excited for you than sad for the ele.

Think about it, you blatantly stated you'd like to meet someone in person. A threat over a quibble on a hunting board? bullying others who think differently from you? Come on, is that what you are made of? You have a lot of hunting to do, may you be able to find what it is you dreamed of in your childhood. I was thirsty for blood once upon a time, still am if the right turkeys are ******* with me during the season. I don't know what happened, but somewhere along the line my thirst was quenched. Now I drink in the hunt much more than a hero shot over my kill. I think others feel the same. Some of those"blue staters" do still hunt big game, well if you count whitetail as big game.

Brad Eden

I think you hit the nail on the head. "Old" is the word that allows your lazy butt to stay in bed while that buck is sneaking along the ridge or that Tom is gobbling on his roost. Man, you need to recrute a youngin to help you get some more spring in you step.  :D

Dick.

When you get a few 'Biggest Bucks of Maine' under your belt (one-on-one not driven...) and a few gobblers you'll understand.

:p

Sure... and then I'll be done with it. Combative and defensive?? No, not at all. Insulting? Maybe a bit now.. But that seems to be the way to do it around here. It seems that if you're a passive agressive antagonist, it gets the green light from you on here and thus full protection from you.  I said that to you in the PMs we exchanged. But if you come straight out with it and say what it is that needs to be said, the censorship comes out and you get your peepee whacked by the mod's ruler. I never said it was "all about me", but when I was the one who started the last TWO biggame threads, and then you said that this particular thread was a way to "let steam off from the Big Game Topics", who else could it be?? Why should there be any steam to let off to begin with?? Did it really ruffle the underlaying anti's feather's on here so much that we needed a time out to let some steam off?? Come on....

While Ive never had a single arguement on here and have gotten along with all on here, I can't help but say that Ive watched you censor countless posts in this manner time and time again.. If it isnt in your agenda, it doesn't fly. But then again, its your field, so its your rules. I'm fine with that. Thats why I said I'll just take my team and play elsewhere. Its all just pissing in the wind with you now on the matter. I'm over the matter and not upset in the least. It happens. Best of luck!

Brad Eden

POW! Blood trail to follow-but I've taken worse hits and survived.

Good luck.

UplandGuide

Smithhammer - Fine post, couldn't have said it better.

Brad Eden - Excellent follow-up.

The sport of hunting in ones life begins somewhere, travels a winding road & ends in a different place.  You may start out wanting to hunt everything and anything and a passion to culminate every hunt with a kill.  But, you will not carry that passion to the end.  Your need to kill in order to have hunted will no longer exist......you will eventually realize you do not have to kill to have hunted.  I went through it, we all go through it.  Needs change as you age!!

Russell

Dick.

When you get a few 'Biggest Bucks of Maine' under your belt (one-on-one not driven...) and a few gobblers you'll understand.

:p

Ouch, is that you Tim...... Oh so now it is size and the method that makes a trophy. I guess shooting a deer out of the truck window feeding under a apple tree blinded by a 4 gazzillion watt light makes me less of a trophy hunter as well huh? You try doing that after drinking a 12 pack and sucking down half a bottle of Allen's Coffee brandy after your co-pilot forgot the roll the window down before he turned the spot light on...... :D

I guess this is off topic huh? Oo.gif

UplandGuide

Ouch, is that you Tim...... Oh so now it is size and the method that makes a trophy. I guess shooting a deer out of the truck window feeding under a apple tree blinded by a 4 gazzillion watt light makes me less of a trophy hunter as well huh? You try doing that after drinking a 12 pack and sucking down half a bottle of Allen's Coffee brandy after your co-pilot forgot the roll the window down before he turned the spot light on...... :D

I guess this is off topic huh? Oo.gif

Another good post.  Funny.

UplandHntr

SB - maybe you should be happy that your last 2 threads sparked thought in people and leave it at that.

I frequent several other boards - both hunting and others and I have to tell you this is the most nuetral non judgmental group of guys/gals on the Net. Ive been moderating a board for 5+ years and I wouldnt wish that job on anyone. Its chaos some days.

Back to the topic - Ive been deer hunting for 20+ years and bird hunting for 5 years and havent taken enough limits of anything to begin to feel guilt. Im happy when I take a bird or deer.

After 10 years of preference points I finally drew my bear kill tag in WI. Im pumped beyond belief!

I dont feel guilty for gut hooking a fish either.

The way things are is the way things are..

It's our role in the Universe

Brad Eden

Awesome Russel. :D

Hey if I move I'm putting the location of my "Mountain Ledge" stand up for bids. Its produced some bruisers in the past but climbing up a mountain in the dark with 12 beers on board and carrying a spotlight might be tough for you. Lars has already made me an offer.

Russell
Awesome Russel. :D

Hey if I move I'm putting the location of my "Mountain Ledge" stand up for bids. Its produced some bruisers in the past but climbing up a mountain in the dark with 12 beers on board and carrying a spotlight might be tough for you. Lars has already made me an offer.

I will just do what you do and go up there the night before, drink my 12 pack and do to my age, my bladder will be my alarm clock............ :p

I'm done for today. :D

UplandHntr

btw

there was an article very similar to this thread recently in of the mags I get. It was either Gun Dog or Retriever Journal