REGISTERING FOR MEMBERSHIP ON UPLAND JOURNAL Read more... ×
Sign in to follow this  
Brad Eden

Sentiments on Killing

wkburns

I agree it should be called hunting and not sport, harvest, or whatever. Shooting clays is a sport. To me sport is competitive and deals with score etc. Granted one can compete in the field but I think this robs you of the experience of hunting. It should be more personal and about the satisfaction of being able to gather food no matter how small it is in the yearly intake. I know I enjoy eating something that I killed more than eating a hamburger I bought at the store. It takes me back to the hunt and the enjoyment I got from the days in the field.

I do not find myself competing with the animal. Study yes, but compete no. I enjoy hunting big game and small game and find that I feel a little sad and respectful no matter what I kill. I think it is only respectful to the animal, bird, or fish to feel something towards it.

I do not hunt or trap furbearing animals no more. I have nothing against this as long as the hide and or meat is used. We used to have a mink ranch where we pelted out several hundred mink and fox a year to sell the fur. We also sold the carcases for mink oil etc to be produced out of them. The main reason I don't trap anymore is that I don't have the time to devote to it. I would kill a bear or mountain lion if I had to but I have not and probably never will. I like seeing them and in our area there just are not many anymore. We have no bear season (rarely hear of a bear coming through the area) and mountain lion season just does not interest me as most of the cats taken are the young dumb ones. In areas where there are a lot I see no reason not to partake in the hunting of them.

To me killing just to kill is senseless. When I kill, I feel no greater or lesser remorse if it is a mammal or bird, or fish. All things should be given respect and killed as fast as possible with as little suffering as possible. I will hunt and fish as long as I can. I have always felt this way and probably always will.

Roost em 1st
...highly scrupled redneck.

Sorry, talkin about Whynot.

Is that some kinda hoosier humor? Ya might need to dumb it down a bit so I get insulted. just cuz the only thing that rises twice in a day around your place is bread, don't give you the right to **** on me.