Sign in to follow this  
Briarscratch

My wife needs a mini-van.

Point5

Remove the tired stigma and there are many positives:

- In general, minivans get better mpg than trucks

- You don't really need 4wd to get to good bird cover

- Most miles, by far, during bird season are highway miles; you're probably driving on unimproved roads 1% of the time.

- Minivans with rear seats removed lend themselves to comfortable travel for dogs in crates, no need for truck caps, probably more comfortable sleeping if necessary, easy changing out of wet clothes, etc. when compared to trucks/suvs.

- Charles Waterman, in his classic Hunting Upland Birds, pointed out the advantages of comfort over off road capabilities when considering hunting rigs.  

I think I just talked myself into one.

Uplander
FWIW, that other Jersey sportsman, Gene Hill, owned a van so he could fit ALL of his outdoor stuff in it -- just in case.

A van, as in a cool badass van, or a soccermomish minivan?

As I’m sure all are aware, there are different degrees of vandom, some masculine, some feminine….

Badass curtains in the window mattress in the back van, kick-ass VW “bus” van, utilitarian workman’s van, etc.  Those are masculine vans.  

------------------

Earth and sky, woods and fields, lakes and rivers, the mountain and the sea, are excellent schoolmasters, and teach some of us more than we can ever learn from books.

**Sir John Lubbock**

Alan Briere

Now really, think about this for a second. Is anyone really going to screw with this man . . .

f1b9f08c.jpg

even if he is driving a mini-van.

Alan

Henry Rackliff
There's a guy here in VT that has I believe a Chevy Astro 4WD outfitted for his bird hunting.  He has 4 kennels stacked in it and takes 4 dogs and I'm not sure how many guys out to Saskatchewan bird hunting every fall.  He is pretty serious about his hunting and drives one.  We also had one when our daughter was small and it was great for carrying everything we needed on a trip.  As long as you have your hunting rig, who cares what your wife drives?  And there is a reason there are so many of them out there.  They serve a purpose and people find them a value.  You know me Scratch, if it works for me, I don't give a rat's ass what other people think.  Do what you want.

ErikT

Look. Listen to me, not all of these wanna-be-manly guys posturing as such.

Just like you said you'd never change your blue hair, I said I'd never ever own a minivan. I swore it. But, I also said I'd never go to the store to pick up feminine products for my wife and that didn't quite pan out. So when my wife drove a friend's mini and said she had to have one, we got one and never looked back.  Now I proudly steer the Honda Odyssey to and fro like a bad-ass Dad.  Forget the SUV argument. It is the best thing since canned beer, the most practical family vehicle ever designed.

I call it... the milf-mobile.

Briarscratch

I call it... the milf-mobile.

Wait....when I'm driving or when my wife is driving?  If I'm driving it would have to be a DILF-mobile.  PTA moms would be swoonong at every corner.

LOL!  Funny post Erik.

I know you all have my back, even the stone-throwers...

but in regards to my personal interest in a mini-van?  Well, I have to admit the 20 hour drive to Iowa is having some influence.

But Kevin, you're not taking into consideration the TWO dogs that will also need fit.  And do you less oafish people have any idea how much volume a wardrobe of XXL TALL hunting, fishing clothes takes up?  You could make a pretty fair wall-tent if you were to sew all my threads together.

steve bernadowicz
just like the dentist says..this won't hurt a bit ! Mini-vans are the covered wagon of our times. They do almost everything pretty well. Ended up with what was my parents Ford, the one with front drive,they make a rear drive model too. My only complaint is too much of the weight is on front tires. Handles poorly. But it just makes too much sense,head room,storage,seating in/out. etc.. Just put some UJ stickers on it and don't look back !  steve

Is anyone really going to screw with this man . . .

even if he is driving a mini-van?

No, especially if he's driving a mini-van.

mshowman

I just went back and read the original post. Scratch, you said your wife needs a mini van. My question is, does she want a mini-van? Beyond that will she have a mini-van?

I recently mentioned to my wife that, expect for pulling the boat, I would consider getting a new hybrid or a Subaru wagon. She set me straight in a hurry! She said that if she had wanted a hybrid or station wagon type guy she would have found one at the hair salon. Then I suggested she might want to consider one for herself. "And give up the sporty coupe with the spoiler?" was her response.

The point is, is Mrs. 'Scratch interested in a mini-van or is this really your passion? It might be that she wants a Yukon with 4WD and some big mud throwers.  ???

Mike

Dave Medema

"If momma ain't happy, ain't nobody happy"

Buy her whatever she wants.

Briarscratch
The point is, is Mrs. 'Scratch interested in a mini-van or is this really your passion? It might be that she wants a Yukon with 4WD and some big mud throwers.  ???

Well, we were pricing wagons but then she saw the mom with the two kids loading groceries into her car with ease.  That's when the shoe dropped.

I was pushing for a Subaru WRX wagon 5 speed but....

1) I don't fit in them very well.

2) they require premium gas

3) they're pretty expensive.

She does like pickup trucks though.

Brad Eden

Well, we were pricing wagons but then she saw the mom with the two kids loading groceries into her car with ease.  That's when the shoe . . .

Uuummmm, "two" kids. . . law says you can't buy a mini van with just one kid dude or you are just a mini-van poser. Either your holding back or you better be gettin busy.

Matt Crawford

Three reasons to choose a Subaru over a mini-van:

* Easier to squeeze into tight parking space when attending a WNBA game

* Melissa Etheridge and the Indigo Girls CD sound better in smaller, more confined places.

* 4WD will come in handy in driving over the beach after seeing Ellen DeGeneres' stand-up routine in Provincetown.

Briarscratch

You forgot to mention:

*attending PETA rallys.

*shopping for wool clogs.

*perusing antiquated book stores on the Cape.

Matt Crawford

Ah, yes, but all those things can be done in a mini-van just as easily.

As your wife will soon attest.