REGISTERING FOR MEMBERSHIP ON UPLAND JOURNAL Read more... ×
Sign in to follow this  
Briarscratch

My wife needs a mini-van.

Scratch...........

Minivans are so freakin' functional, how could they be anything but cool.

And I cannot remember who said it, but I agree, you just live in the wrong state. Move now, before the younguns get in school. Move closer to wife's the family. Move closer to the birds.

regards....ti

WindyHills

Gotta recommend dodge/chrysler vans if you don't think you can spring for a toyota or honda, which would be my first choice.  In new I would add the more recent Nissan.  Dodge/Chrysler  had more than their share of problems with trannys etc. but have had most of them cleaned up for awhile.  To be safe, do your research...some charge a bit (consumer reports for example) but are worth it...even down to the point of pinpointing problems in particular model years.  

Drive a caravan for work...no choice in the matter, but have come to like it better than I thought.  Other than an annoying brake problem that seems to be fixed now it has been trouble free, gets very good mileage given the power it has, and the ride is great and quiet.  Quite a few folks I know have or have had them go into the 200K range with minimal problems.  Some used them for hunting...handle snow and slop very well if clearance is OK.  They have become even move versatile with the stow away seats.

Wife drives a Ford Windstar.  Freestar is the name of their newer van, same thing with some upgrade.  

Could go on and on about the problems we've had with the windstar, as well as numerous problems with their Aerostar vans at work....suffice to say I will never own another ford van.

Briarscratch
Thanks again for the advice everyone.  I'll be taking it into consideration as things move along with the decision making process.

I'll be taking it into consideration as things move along with the decision making process.

Y'know what I think when I hear that at work? "I'm gonna ignore all your opinions and do what I wanted to do in the first place". :)

RookieEP

I was in traveling HELL yesterday.  My flight from Chicago to Appleton WI was cancled.  So I go to the rentals no rentals from Chi-town to Appleon.  I have to be at work today.  So after much line waiting and walking all over I find a bus to Milwaukee then have to get a rental car and drive to Appleton GRrrrr I hate Ohare!!  The bus ride was quicker than I thought it would be.  I'm now in Milwaukee getting my rental car it is  11pmish.  I go to the parking lot only knowing my car is a Nissan, I'm looking around for a cheapo economy or midsize.  I hit the keyless remote and I see lights flash I walk over and I got a flippin Mini Van.  I started cracking up, couldn't believe it.  Never thought I would think of Scratch at 11pm on a Sunday night...  

It is a Nissan Quest.  Sucker has a ton of room.  I saw to myself everybody pile in.  There was a couple of blind spots I didn't like which is to be expected w/ a mini van.  However... The thing had lots of zip, got the tires chirping.  Cruising at 75mph the rpms were below 2500, the hwy roads in WI are bumpy what happens w/ freezing temps the Van soaked up the road very well.  Was quiet.  Cournered really well which surprised me, I tried to make it squeal around some bends and the thing just gripped and wrapped em.  No play in the steering wheel, brakes were very fim not sloppy.  Ergonomics quite good in regards to reach and grabbing distance AC, radio, gear shift, but I didn't like a couple of the small buttons, and the speedometer is more center than right in front of the driver which makes you have to look to the right some to check your gauges but I got use to it quickly.  I did like the over sized rear view mirrors that light up the area to the side that you are turning.  I cannot compare it to other top minivans but if were in the market for a one I would check it out.  

Rookie

northwoods

scratchy,

We have the Toyota AWD Sienna Limited.  I love it.  You could buy a Mercedes wagon for twice the price and get a lesser quality vehicle, overall.  It has the space of an indoor football stadium.  The seat configurations allow for all sorts of setups for people and gear and stuff.  It rides wondefully and I drove it on a 650 mile trip in the spring, each way, and have never driven as comfortable a car on a long trip.  My back never hurt once, and I get spinal injections regularly, so that is saying something.  It is a wondeful vehicle.  

It doesn't bother me to drive it.  My truck is great but manhood isn't about your vehicle.  Besides, I drive a fire truck, too.

There is one serious drawback to the Sienna.  It come with "run-flat" tires by Dunlop.  We are having our replaced, for free, by Toyota after 16,000 miles because they don't last very long.  Toyota and Dunlop claim the new tires will last twice as long, but I expect our next set will be a high quality all season radial.  That will mean putting a spare in the trunk space.  

Even with the tire problem, great vehicle.

Briarscratch

Epilogue:

Betsy is now the proud owner of a super loaded 2002 Chrysler Town and County Limited.  Compared to her 96 Geo Prizm this is a Rolls Royce of a car.  In fact, it's so fully loaded that we still haven't figured out what all the buttons are for. And there is so much room that I'm almost concerned we won't be able to fill it. They took her old car in trade and we were able to buy it with cash so....NO PAYMENTS!  (yahoo!)

So with the seat warmer button clicked to "on" I say "Let the chauffering begin!"

Uplander

Where did you put the UJ sticker?

------------------

New England is the home of the Ruffed Grouse, and here it is known everywhere by the name of Partridge or “Patridge.”

**Edward H. Forbush**

Phred
So with the seat warmer button clicked to "on" I say "Let the chauffering begin!"

This is really going to slow up your family travels.  My wife says that whenever she turns on the bun warmer we need to stop for a bathroom break.

RW

And there is so much room that I'm almost concerned we won't be able to fill it.

Congrats! Have fun trying.

RookieEP

I can't wait to see the bumper sticker.

If the van is a rocking. Don't come a knocking.  

:D  

Congrats on your new purchase.

Greg Hartman

Congrats and enjoy!

Cash is the ONLY way to buy any vehicle!  If you can't pay cash, then by definition you can't afford it.

It amazes me how often people get "upside-down" on vehicles - where they owe more than it is worth and then compound the problem by buying a new car and then rolling the negative equity in that that one!  Surely a lesson on how to stay poor forever.

Believe it or not, that is a very common phenomonen with $200K+ motorhomes where you can get a 20 year (!!??) note and the things have awesome deprecitaion.  An older couple will be $50 or $75K "upside-down" on ther current unit and then trade it on a new one.  When they drive the new one off the lot, they are $100 to $150K in the hole and looking at 20 years of high interest payments.  Try that on a fixed income.  Amazing...

Briarscratch

Well Shaun, she's very shall we say....proprietary about her new wheels and frankly, I'm getting a little bothered by the dirty looks everytime I dare to push a button.  I think a UJ sticker will have to wait a few months, at least until the "new-ness" wears off.

But she is going to put a NakNek sticker on it.  She is the family Chinook slayer and is damn proud of it too. Not many MILF-rides out there have one of those on them.

And Greg, I'm with you.  We looked hard at used Toyota that had special year end financing.  It would have been a little newer but the T&C was in-budget and actually nicer.  Given that my compensation is about 90% commission based the thought of another monthly expense gives me hives.  I feel MUCH better knowing that it's 100% paid for.  It's only got 46K miles so I'm hoping it will run well for the next 4 or 5 years.

Uplander

Cash is the ONLY way to buy any vehicle!  If you can't pay cash, then by definition you can't afford it.

I’m not sure I agree with you on that score Greg….  There are two things in America that most people have to borrow money to purchase; one being a home, the other a vehicle.

Of course, you’re right, in an ideal financial situation we’d all be able to turn to our bank accounts and write a check for $15,000 to $25,000 to purchase our cars free and clear, but there are very few of us who can come up with such a large “disposable” chunk of cash, even with a trade in helping matters.

For those of us who can’t come up with the cash, what do you recommend we do in lieu of borrowing to buy a vehicle?  ???

------------------

New England is the home of the Ruffed Grouse, and here it is known everywhere by the name of Partridge or “Patridge.”

**Edward H. Forbush**

Mini vans must die

I ran into this on a motorcycle site. On the positive side they are a premier road hunting vehicle especially if the have the double rear doors. You can sit in the middle of the rear seat with both doors open and the old lady can drive.