My wife needs a mini-van.

Briarscratch

Briarscratch

On the positive side they are a premier road hunting vehicle especially if the have the double rear doors. You can sit in the middle of the rear seat with both doors open and the old lady can drive.

Yeah man.  Hell, all the drive has to do is push a button while the gunner maintains a firm grip on firestick.  The door slides open, the bird is sluiced, the dog runs out and fetches it, then the door slides closed.  The future of big woods grouse hunting is here!

02towncountry.jpg

• Replies 154
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Briarscratch

• Uplander

• RookieEP

Nice step up from the Geo.  A neighbor has been driving T&C's for a long time.  Ever since he traded in his Buick Riviera.

Greg, the dealers have an answer to the "getting upside down" situation.  Not sure how it works but for a small increase in monthly payment you can avoid being upside down.  When I was last car dealing the finance guy was showing graphs and charts but I wasn't paying attention.

When young and making house payments, paying student loans, raising kids, saving for colledge, saving for retirement, and buying insurance and tires; borrowing to purchase a new car makes the purchase possible.

After the house is paid, loans paid, kids educated, and retirement secure; paying cash becomes a real pleasure.  Kind of an in your face feeling when the finance guy is explaining how you can avoid getting upside down.  At this point you are older than dirt.

Lets say your are 70, retired, have a nice trustworthy son, and want a last blast. You have a $300k house, $25k year union pension, a $10k motorhome that you owe $20k on, SS security and $25k in the bank.

Now say you sell the house upgrade to a fully financed $150k motorhome for 20 years. You gift your entire bank account(say $300k) to your son the next day and hit the road. With the pension and SS you easily pay your expenses and motorhome payment. If you go down hill, your assets exceed liabilities and you go to a medicaid financed nursing home. If you really need a little extra junior gives you some cash. What is the downside?

Greg Hartman
Cash is the ONLY way to buy any vehicle!  If you can't pay cash, then by definition you can't afford it.

I’m not sure I agree with you on that score Greg….  There are two things in America that most people have to borrow money to purchase; one being a home, the other a vehicle.

Of course, you’re right, in an ideal financial situation we’d all be able to turn to our bank accounts and write a check for $15,000 to $25,000 to purchase our cars free and clear, but there are very few of us who can come up with such a large “disposable” chunk of cash, even with a trade in helping matters.

For those of us who can’t come up with the cash, what do you recommend we do in lieu of borrowing to buy a vehicle?  ???

------------------

New England is the home of the Ruffed Grouse, and here it is known everywhere by the name of Partridge or “Patridge.”

**Edward H. Forbush**

Drive a junker - I drove a lot of $50 cars when I was young and poor.  Nobody "needs" to spend $15-$25K on a vehicle.  Want to perhaps, but do not need to.  If you’ve ever been truly poor and totally on your own, you learn very quickly the vast yawning gulf between “needs” and “wants”.  When you borrow to buy a car, you pay for that car twice – once for the car and once again to the friggin’ bank.  When you are young, you can least afford to do things like that.

Brings to mind a story:  One of my favorite junkers was a very old Mercury station wagon.  It was one of those big cars with three full rows of seats.  At one time it had been a fancy car - it had fake wood sides and automatic everything, plus a huge V8 engine.  Well, the wood sides had faded to white and it had big rust holes in the body, which I covered to pass inspection by pop-riveting old aluminum gas station price signs over the holes – looked great.  Nothing of the automatic everything worked – you had to claw the electric windows down by hand – the retracting headlights assumed a half-mast position, so that it looked like the car was half-drunk all the time.  It ran on four bald snow tires and had no muffler.  But the engine on that thing was like new – you could put a cup of coffee on the (cracked) dash and you would not see ripples when the engine was running.  When you stepped on the gas, that big V8 would roar and you could leave damn near anyone in the dust (gas gauge would go down, too).  

In addition to being a stealth dragster, NOBODY cut me off or otherwise messed with me when I was driving that car – great fun!  :cool:

My girls were little then and we put the seats all down to create a big play area in the back of the big wagon.  I got tired of making pee stops every 15 minutes, so I scrounged an old Porta-Potty and put that in the back.  When they had to go, I just told them to use the Porta-Potty.  They’d sit on it and wave to the traffic going by.  They still hate me for that.   :D   :D

Once my wife was driving that car and she got stopped at a registration check.  Of course, she didn’t have the registration.  The cops asked her if she stole the car.  She said: “Officer, who would EVER steal THIS car?”   He agreed that she had a real point and let her go.  She putted off as quietly as she could with no mufflers, while the cop stood there shaking his head.   :D

What is the downside?

Lets see,

You gave up your home,

You are living in a moho,

You are relying on Junior to buy your mints.

How do you get a 25k pension?

Briarscratch

Oh the junkers I've driven!  That's a subject worthy of it's own thread.

Beater vans, a scrap heap ready Toyota, a pieced together Buick, a battered Dodge Daytona, a completely rusted out old style Subaru wagon....  Back then everytime I turned the key I wondered if I'd ever get home again.  Lot's of white knuckle rides and skinned knuckle roadside repairs.

Agree no one needs to buy new, but this is 2006.  There aren’t too many $50 junkers out there that one can rely on for a safe, dependable commute on a major highway, in the winter, etc., especially when carrying children.

In today’s world, even a modestly priced used vehicle requires most people to borrow money to afford.  People just don’t often have thousands of dollars laying around for such a purpose.  Any vehicle that is dirt cheap is most often in need of serious, and expensive, repairs, and won’t likely pass a state inspection legally either.  That doesn’t make much financial sense to me….  And, at today's interest rates and deals, no one is "paying for that car twice."

Believe me, I hear you Greg and understand where you’re coming from.  I’m quite fiscally conservative myself.  But, I just think that some things in the 21st Century are just beyond the means of most of us to purchase outright.

------------------

New England is the home of the Ruffed Grouse, and here it is known everywhere by the name of Partridge or “Patridge.”

**Edward H. Forbush**

....  There aren’t too many $50 junkers out there  ....

How true.  Today in 2006 the junkers are $1000 and expensive to repair.

There are two of these junkers in my driveway as we speak. Finding somebody who's even interested is the challenge.

Guess they're going to the junkman.

As the owner of a Ford Windstar (actually the wife's vehicle) I can solidly recommend that you STAY AWAY from a Ford Windstar.  Just countless nuisance problems with the thing, mainly electrical,and now getting those rust pockets that quickly turn to major rust cancer.  The only thing that keeps 'us' keeping 'it' is that it is paid for and we can't afford another right now.  My folks own a Caravan and most of my friends/acquaintances who own them are quite satisfied with the Chrysler lines of minivans.  I would speculate that if you can afford a bit better quality, to go with the Honda/Nissan/Toyota minis.

BTW, they do carry lots of stuff quite nicely.  Great for hunting trips when you take out either the middle or back seats, or both.

There are two of these junkers in my driveway as we speak. Finding somebody who's even interested is the challenge.

Would those two in your drive be $50 or $1000 junkers?  Could they be driven away or would they require a tow?

Would those two in your drive be $50 or $1000 junkers?  Could they be driven away or would they require a tow?

Neither will pass state safety inspection.

One runs, (90 Honda Accord), the other (90 Volvo 740GL) lost an oil pump and will need some engine work.

Honda needs body work, has an almost new trans in it, Volvo has an almost perfect body, interior is real nice, just needs to have the engine issue addressed.

Too many other projects at the house right now, they gotta go.

I already spent a small fortune trying to get rid of them on Ebay, thanks to deadbeat bidders I'll never advertise a car there again.

Most likely I'll donate both of them.

Nobody "needs" to spend $15-$25K on a vehicle.  Want to perhaps, but do not need to.

There's no way I'm putting my wife into a junker and have her drive at all hours of the day/night through some really crappy neighborhoods to get to/from work. There are some things you just don't do.

Tom Winkelman

Just caught this thread - If still shopping - check out the Pontiac Montana's. We have a 2002 purchased in 2004. My wife drives it the most and loves it. We have had no major or even minor mechanical problems. I really like the ability to remove the seats or flip them up if need just a little extra cargo home. Also the sporty look is no embarrasment parked in the grouse woods.

Good luck!

I'm driving a 2500 dollar beater right now. A '93 Dodge Dakota. The first week I owned it the gas guage went out, the horn switch went out causing the horn to continuously blow until I beat it into submission, the tach went out and the right headlight went out. SWEEEEET I love this thing! All I got is a speedo and I'm putting over 90 miles a day on her...Scotsman