favorite fish to eat

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• rprovines

• Briarscratch

• Backlash

I'll eat and enjoy almost any fish; freshwater or salt. Love 'em all almost equally, love many of them on the raw. But I'm also a midwest boy and the first fish I ate was a bluegill and they're still tops in my book. Can't have too many packages in the freezer.

A brace of small brookies, shaken in a flour/cornmeal/salt pepper mixture, fried in butter, and washed down with a cold Dogfish Head. Delicious, and it means I'm sitting with my dog by some small Maine stream in May.

Also love fresh bluefish (emphasis on fresh--like, hours old fresh).

Love quality blue fin, sushi or very quickly seared. It's a texture thing.

sashimi, halibut, beer-batter walleye... they're all great.

But nothing tastes better than a fresh-caught trout cooked on a campfire alongside the mountain stream complimented by a Colorado sunset as a backdrop.

edit (looks like MattB had nearly the same idea at the same time)

Love all kinds of fish, providing that it's fresh and not over cooked. I would take a nice white fleshed fish over shrimp or lobster any day. If I were limited to only two, then it would have to be walleye and small mouth bass.
shorthairgrousedog

1. Mahi

2. wahoo

3. blue fin

4. yellow fin

5. Haddock

6. Albacore (not false Albacore)

7. cod

8. totaug ( I only had it once but RI made some at grouse camp and it was outstanding)

I had Atlantic Wolffish once and it was awesome. Tasted like Lobster. Have never seen it on a menu since or for sale at any seafood shop. Maybee some of you New Englanders know something about this fish, I guess they pretty much just eat Lobsters. Is this fish protected or hard to catch. Why is it not more popular?

Freshwater is Walleye

Saltwater is fresh not frozen Swordfish about a 1 1/2 thick on the grill with lemon butter and a sprinkling of old bays.

Fresh flounder is another great tasting fish pan fried with a flaky cajun batter

Wolf fish are ugly as sin and then some :D

Normally they are caught by fishing for them with a line and bait. They live in rocky areas on the bottom and are very hard to net by trawlers which is the biggest reason you don't see them a lot on menus.

They are good eating though

shorthairgrousedog
I had Atlantic Wolffish once and it was awesome. Tasted like Lobster. Have never seen it on a menu since or for sale at any seafood shop. Maybee some of you New Englanders know something about this fish, I guess they pretty much just eat Lobsters. Is this fish protected or hard to catch. Why is it not more popular?

Wolffish in New England is a bottom fish usually caught incidentally on a cod fishing trip. I have been on 3 trips and have yet to catch one. I heard the same thing, very good to eat.