favorite fish to eat

Walleye, my Dad always made an annual trip to Clova PQ. The fish fry after his return was the best.  I also like wild caught Salmon.
  • Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• rprovines

• Briarscratch

• Backlash

Brad Adrian

Freshwater-- Bluegills caught through the ice, followed by perch and walleye

Saltwater--Ling cod.

Brad, I think bluegills may get the nod from me just for ease of cleaning. It's really hard to beat a good mess of perch. I haven't been able to target just perch around here for a good many years, just catch them coincidentally. When I was a kid in summer in deep water we'd fill a livewell with them. Used to fish wigglers through the ice at a local lake for foot longers, boy they're good. If i can have perch, I'll turn walleye down.
Brad Adrian
Ron, we have some pretty good perch fishing around here, but I still prefer bluegills and target them all winter long. We caught walleyes week before last, 38 degree water, very good eating, but perch would have been better.
Chris Raymond
Very high if not on top of the freshwater fish for me is the burbot/lawyer/cusk/eelpout.  This is NOT a dogfish.

Walleye, my Dad always made an annual trip to Clova PQ. The fish fry after his return was the best.  I also like wild caught Salmon.

I've driven the Clova road many times. 125 bone-jarring miles.  My choices would be walleye followed by lake trout. We'd hang a couple caribou backstraps for a few days and I'd make butterflied caribout strap and lake trout fillets sauteed in butter. Far north surf and turf. Hard to beat!!

I like most all fish but if I have to pick.

Freshwater - bluegill or a fresh fillet of bass

Saltwater - wahoo, fresh yellowfin or flounder.  grouper is pretty good too

Freshwater - Walleye

Saltwater - King Salmon - wild and fresh with sea lice still on the skin

Seafood - about a 2 1/2# Lobsta steamed and red.

We gig and snag a lot of suckers in my area and they are hands down my favorite to eat, followed by Flathead catfish, walleye, and crappie.
We gig and snag a lot of suckers in my area and they are hands down my favorite to eat, followed by Flathead catfish, walleye, and crappie.

I just wrote a column about fishing for spring suckers and how they were very sweet eating. Glad someone shares my opinion.

Steve Hunts

1. walleye

2. perch

3. cold smoked salmon(lox)

4. smoked eel(unagi)

5. halibut and flounder.