favorite fish to eat

1.  Fresh Halibut, like Giz says, hours old

2.  Bluegill

3.  Small mouth bass

4.  Walleye

You could interchange 3 and 4 in my book.  Since I don't live in Alaska anymore Bluegill is at the top.

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• rprovines

• Briarscratch

• Backlash

calgaryrookie

Salmon and trout. That's it for me.

Seems a lot of posters like Walleye. Lots around here but I've never tried them. I should give them a try.

Ron, the Dude admitted to consuming whale sperm and salmon roe. Give him a break!   :D  :D  It probably traumatized him for life (yours, his and mine)
Chris Raymond

Seems a lot of posters like Walleye. Lots around here but I've never tried them. I should give them a try.

Don't forget to eat the cheeks if you catch them yourself...it's the best part of the fish.  BTW, lake trout and salmon have great cheeks as well.

Don't forget to eat the cheeks if you catch them yourself...it's the best part of the fish.  BTW, lake trout and salmon have great cheeks as well.

Yeah, I'd say they're great.

359946065.jpg

Briarscratch

Okay Ron.  I hear you.   It's hard to beat fresh halibut fish and chips made with home-brew beer batter.  But then there's pickled Sockeye.  And one of the best birthday dinners I ever had was a mess of catfish stips dredged in corn starch and flash fried in super hot peanut oil.

Not to mention the nether delicacies of Oncorhynchus gorbuscha.

But then there's pickled Sockeye.  

?!?!? Why would you do that to such a glorious fish? I thought pickling was only for fish that tasted like $#!^ to begin with, like herring. Oh, the horror....

Briarscratch

Don't worry Smith, my buddy was a native and every year he dip-netted a whole bunch of reds.  We ate them every way under the sun but there's nothing like sweet and fiery sockeye ceviche washed down with a  cold Alaskan Amber.

Damn that was good eats.

Yeah, I'd say they're great.

359946065.jpg

Salmon?  The other pink meat?

northern_hunting_mom

Grayling, lake trout and pike for freshwater.

Marlin and shark for saltwater.

I plan to be deep sea fishing off Puerto Vallarta this December!! Woohoo, I hope to catch a few different types over going for trophies. There is also shore and stream fishing close to the resort we will be staying.