Your first car.

72 Nova Rally Sport, white with black rally stripes.  Bought in 77 when I turned 16.  Black spoke Keystone mags, wide in back, skinnies up front.  It was smokin.  307 with a Muncie Rockcrusher 3 speed on the floor.  I had to carry around a sledge hammer to occasionally get the shifter unstuck.  I do not know what had been done to the engine before I got it, but it was a LOT faster than it should have been, sounded like it too.  I drove it like a madman around the hills of central KY for year and a half.  I thought my name was Petty, or Bo, or Luke.  How I survived, I will never know.  Looking back, what scares me even more was that I drove younger family the same way.  Not just that car, I can remember dragging the pegs on an old Honda 360, with nephews on the back!  The back tire was worn so square it got real squirrely when you pushed it over to much.  They thought it was cool, so did I.  When my kids get older, driving will be one of those “do as I say, not as I did things.”  I must have thought I would live forever.  All was well until the understeer caused by the tire combination caught up with me on a wet gravelly curve one Saturday night.  Odd thing is that I was not trying to drive fast, not like I often did.  After that, it was blue and white.  It never was the same after that, I couldn’t even get girls in it.  Wait…, come to think of it, I couldn’t get girls in it before the crash.
  • Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Trappercase

• Brad Eden

• Ben Hong

brueggemanns
I bought my first car with my own money back in 1963. It was a red 1960 Austin Healey Sprite, yes "Old Frog Eyes".

Wow, yours was almost brand new!  I bought my 1959 baby blue bug-eyed sprite in 1974 for $500.  I got at least that much money's worth learning about the poor electrics British Leyland had installed in my baby.

I loved it.

I got at least that much money's worth learning about the poor electrics British Leyland had installed in my baby.

I loved it.

Sir Lucas of Lucas Electronics.  The true Prince of Darkness.  Two Triumphs later I still don't understand.

Mike Connally
1959 Rambler station wagon.  Paid $99 for it.  Push button transmission and all the seats folded down to make a nice bed (one of my dates showed that feature to me).  I don't remember anything else about it.
my first car was a 1950 olds 88 4 door sedan. paid 745.00 sold it less then one year later for 750.00. walked for a few months and then located a 1950 olds 88 powder blue convert.

1984 Toyota Supra………loaded, maroon.

Cost me a couple tickets………..

Next was a 1987 Mazda 626 which was my parents other car they handed down….178K miles or so before it was totaled

1991 Acura Integra 4 door……….nice car

1997 Jetta GLX fully loaded, first new car I bought and last new car I will buy

After that Nancy was involved and we have had a few other vehicles leading us to this point.

1957 Desoto 4 door sedan with Firedome v8 and Fireflite push button transmission.  With an Earl Sheib turquoise (Mopar bluegreen) paint job.

$175 at Bob's Cars on Kennedy Ave in Hammond IN.

1967 International Scout. 4 cyl., 3 speed on the floor. Gas gauge didn't work neither did the odometer. Run out of gas on more than one occation. The pipe to the gas tank was a straight shot though, I would measure the gas level with a 1/2" dowel I kept in the back. The passenger side door was wired shut or it would fall off. Amazing what would pass inspection at the right place in those days, [1978]. 4 wheel drive and 20 mpg. A big deal to me in those days.
A used cheapo 66 Dodge coronet. Slant 6, stick on the column, bench seats. Got me around, did the job.
Greg Hartman

I bought my first car with my own money back in 1963. It was a red 1960 Austin Healey Sprite, yes "Old Frog Eyes".

Wow, yours was almost brand new!  I bought my 1959 baby blue bug-eyed sprite in 1974 for $500.  I got at least that much money's worth learning about the poor electrics British Leyland had installed in my baby.

I loved it.

Ben and Deb, I'll bet you wish you still had those!  They were super cool cars!!

My first was a 1957 Renault - $50. It was seaweed green with a red driver’s door.  Perhaps the worst vehicle ever built, but the price was right.  Of course this isn’t the actual car, but it looked something like this:

209270016_0c77c279ff.jpg

It only ran for a couple of months, then died.  No parts were available for such cars in those days, so my next gem was a 1947 Jeep truck that looked much like this:

Jeep53WagonGreen1.jpg

I had that one for a couple of years - it was very weak with an old 4 cylinder engine.

A 1969 Plymouth Cuda.  Wish I had that car now.  It was mint, red with black vinyl roof with a V8, bot that car was fast.
1960 Ford Falcon station wagon.  I started college in 1963 and that was my transportation.   lived at home and commuted about 15 miles.  Air conditioning was 4 windows down, wind wings turned in and tailgate window rolled down, I could get quite a breeze that way.

I have always loved cars . Probably too much .

1st car High School graduation '69

'65 Ford Galaxie XL Red 2 door Black bucket

seats console

2nd car in 1970

'69 Olds 442 yellow , black top , fastest car I

ever owned

3rd car in '71

'69 Jag XKE convertible , yellow Black top ,

coolest car I ever owned , Definite chick

magnet , sold it for $4250 , bought a house ,

They sell for $80,000 today , never should

have sold it

4th in '75

'72 Olds 442 black , white interior

5th in '76

'75 Corvette convertible , red , white top

still got it  45,000 original miles

6th in '77

'76 Corvette T tops red

Then I kinda got domesticated and bought drivers until

'84 when I bought a Maserati BiTurbo , great car when

it was'nt in the shop

Sorry I got carried away , My wife says I could have retired if I spent less money on cars but I truly did enjoy them .